Always a Wasp

Author Topic: David Duckham dies  (Read 1003 times)

asteriskszegol

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
David Duckham dies
« on: January 11, 2023, 01:44:23 AM »
Truly one of the greats. One solo effort from his own 25 to beat most of the Rosslyn Park (?) team twice and score under the posts, at Coundon Rd in 1971 (?), was perhaps my single most enduring memory of rugby in those halcyon days. Not to mention THAT dummy in the Baa-Baas match.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: David Duckham dies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:02:38 AM »
Truly one of the greats. One solo effort from his own 25 to beat most of the Rosslyn Park (?) team twice and score under the posts, at Coundon Rd in 1971 (?), was perhaps my single most enduring memory of rugby in those halcyon days. Not to mention THAT dummy in the Baa-Baas match.

He was my inspiration as a kid.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »

He was my inspiration as a kid.

.....And mine.

The best player Coventry RUFC have produced. Legend and lovely bloke to boot.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:45:52 AM »
I think much of my late Dad's love of the game was based on players like Duckham. I saw him a couple of times back in the day and always seemed to me to be under appreciated. A bit of a Matt Le Tissier in football terms - rather too good for those who might have made more of him.

Only Carwyn James saw the potential. I believe he scored 11 tries on that Lions tour in '71. And of course that try vs the AB's in Cardiff....

Even as an old prop, he was still one of the reasons (along with Fran Cotton...) I fell in love with the game and his style of play was what I wanted to see and a key reason I became a Wasp.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
David Duckham was an outstanding player. He was my favourite player of that era.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:27:54 PM »
+1

As a fellow "Old Coventrian" he was my favourite player growing up and my "inspiration" to want to play the game.

I watched him many times as a teenager at Coundon Road in what was a tremendous Coventry Team at the time and he seemed a lovely man as well.

He was also sublime in the Ba-Ba's v AB game.

DD, LBND and Wadey remain my top 3 favourite players of all time.