westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 06:20:26 AM »
A majority of Premiership clubs share a similar view but some are still believed to be keen to press ahead regardless and have already started recruiting accordingly.
No prizes for guessing who that is and it makes the proposed cap increase a fait accompli.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 07:14:34 AM »
A majority of Premiership clubs share a similar view but some are still believed to be keen to press ahead regardless and have already started recruiting accordingly.
No prizes for guessing who that is and it makes the proposed cap increase a fait accompli.

There are 4 with good sugar daddies who would want the Cap increasing I would say.

Sarries, Bath, Bristol and Sale will 100% want it increasing.

Only ones I'm not sure on are Saints & Glaws but think they are probably happy where they are today.

Not sure Quins or Exeter would want the increase currently after the newspaper reports, and Leicester obviously don't from that article and Newcastle & Irish definitely won't with their predicaments.

So 4 team premiership in the future.....

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:52:50 AM »
Sale's owner has been very clear on Twitter that their crowds are a long way short of what they need to break even. I'd be surprised if they were advocating an increase in the cap.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 10:54:55 AM »
More -

Ten-team Premiership and salary cap up for debate, says Leicester Tigers CEO Pinchen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64228716
Let me tell you something cucumber

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 11:09:35 AM »
For some reason, the Two Ronnies song, So Doff Your Cap, sprang to mind when reading this thread.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 12:21:46 PM »
Sale's owner has been very clear on Twitter that their crowds are a long way short of what they need to break even. I'd be surprised if they were advocating an increase in the cap.

Hadn’t seen that, he is just classed as one of the sugar daddies

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:54:55 PM »
How can these monied egotists be so naive and shortsighted. This would result in a chasm. Tier 1. Sugar daddy backed teams spending up to an increased cap. Tier 2. Those that can’t even spend up to the current one.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 08:41:20 PM »
How can these monied egotists be so naive and shortsighted. This would result in a chasm. Tier 1. Sugar daddy backed teams spending up to an increased cap. Tier 2. Those that can’t even spend up to the current one.

But, and I did say so months ago now, this IS where it is heading. And maybe a new league. The TV companies would love it. 3 or 4 teams from Ireland. 1 or 2 teams from Scotland, 4 teams from England, 3 or 4 teams from Wales. Slim it up a bit to make it a 12 team league. Ring fenced, no promotion or relegation. Then make regional 'Championship' leagues, for teams with some but little money. Trouble is, the 4 English clubs will have 2-3 times as much money to play with, and will likely dominate any such league, but is that any different to football?

I have, for the time being, gone back to grass roots and pro rugby can go and do one.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 05:34:40 PM »
Why would Ireland want to disrupt the status quo? The IRFU have dosh to spare and regions doing well.
Welsh teams are bankrupt and nobody turns out for any matches other than Judgement Day and holiday derbies. The WRU won't let players out if their control easily too.
The French won't play for sure.
The 12 team sugar daddy league is where the sugar daddies think they are heading. They are wrong, and blinded by their hubris.  At best they could get an 8 team league.
If there is an 8 team league it will be 4 sugar daddy teams and 4 bok ones and, I suspect, nobody will give a fuck about it. The broadcasters would probably be more interested in an English league without them.