Always a Wasp

Author Topic: DCMS report to be issued tomorrow  (Read 2139 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: DCMS report to be issued tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 10:58:51 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 11:25:24 AM »
Sweeney and Massie-Taylor have certainly not come out of this looking good at all - quite rightly I might add.

I don't have history to serve me well (I'm one of the fans Wasps picked up in coming to Coventry), I can appreciate the comments regarding our move to Coventry being ill-thought out and risky but the impression I get is that Wasps had little choice elsewhere? At least there was effort to try and diversify the business.

But, it is nice to see this all written down in a report from Gov't, even if nothing will be done about it in the long run.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 11:30:18 AM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 11:38:55 AM »
The thing that annoys me a tad is that the first session was all about Worcester (naturally because it was set up to look at Worcester originally) so there were two speakers who very eloquently spoke for the club. There were no speakers either for or against what happened at Wasps. The limited comments made were by the losers in the second session who had already decided on Wasps demise.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:35:29 PM by Neils »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 11:40:31 AM »
I do wonder if lack of any information/announcements were waiting for this to clear out of the way.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 12:29:21 PM »
If anyone listened to The Good, The Bad & The Rugby Podcast last week they had Bill Sweeney & Simon Massie-Taylor on there, and reading between the lines on their comments they were pretty much ignoring the DCMS findings anyway so not sure what it does. They were asked if the comments about resigning and whether they would and it was a resounding 100% no!
Some interesting snippets about going through the due diligence on some of the new Wasps board who were on the previous board and agreeing they were okay.

Seconded. It's a good listen to get their perspective, and as ever there are two sides to every story. Even Haskell is bearable (mostly) and actually listens to what is being said in this one.

When taken in conjunction with the release of this report it is an interesting counter-position.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 01:32:27 PM »
If Sweeny and Massie-Taylor had a modicum of dignity and vestige of a moral compass they would resign on the spot. They have and continue to oversee 2 professional groups that rather than growing the game are harming it almost irreparably. In their combined ignorance and arrogance they will likely continue, the power and perks are far to delightful to simply throw away despite their incompetence. The report is enough evidence for them to go.

We and Worcesters previous owners of course made rods for our own backs by mistakes and financial errors aplenty, but every club has its own share of the blame. Craig and Wray are two of the biggest scoundrels in the game who kept cheating to succeed, but every club deserves shared responsibility as they provided cover ups, and with that came an unsustainable increase in the salary cap, aligned with star signing wage exemptions, we raised a bloated Money eating monster expecting to be fed money that simply does not exist in Rugby Union.

If the report is not taken seriously and acted upon we will be left with people who simply do not deserve the honour of being custodians of our game.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 01:45:52 PM »
Another question is why have the RFU Accounts been delayed as noted in the Report. Strange if the Main Man didn't accurately know when they were to be published. He said by the end of "this month" and that was in November.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »
Another question is why have the RFU Accounts been delayed as noted in the Report. Strange if the Main Man didn't accurately know when they were to be published. He said by the end of "this month" and that was in November.

Imagine the meeting with the auditors.

Auditor: 'Here are the provisional accounts for the year, as requested. It shows a loss of £xx million. What loss or profit do you want the accounts to show?'
RFU: 'We would like to show a modest profit, say £10m.'

Auditor: 'Ah, OK, we need to make some adjustments to asset values then.'
RFU: 'Such as?'

Auditor: 'Stock. But I see you don't actually own much by way of stock, so not much scope there. What about getting Twickenham Stadium revalued? An extra £100m should do it.'
RFU: we had a valuation done, and it has gone down, not up. The valuation you have used was the old one. We are trying to find a more favorable valuation from a property expert, but each one we ask values it lower or the same.'

Auditor: 'Well, you could do what Wasps did, and keep delaying the publishing of the accounts until you can find one that will lie outrageously for you, like wasps did.'
RFU: 'We tried that, but their valuer is terrified they will be sued already over the valuation they gave to Wasps, when it was then sold later for a quarter of their valuation. They are refusing to do any more valuations like that. A shame really, really nice, solid chaps they were.'

Auditor: 'Well, keep looking ...'

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »

Premiership Rugby 'unsustainable' and 'in disarray'

A Digital, Culture, Media and Sport report criticised the RFU's Bill Sweeney and Premiership Rugby's Simon Massie-Taylor for 'complacency'
By Ben Rumsby 17 January 2023 • 10:14am

Premiership Rugby club finances are “clearly unsustainable”, a damning report by MPs has concluded.

The collapse of Wasps and Worcester Warriors was also branded a “stain on the reputation” of the Rugby Football Union and Premiership Rugby.

And Damian Green MP, acting chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee, said the elite game in England was “in disarray”.

The select committee’s report followed a parliamentary hearing in November triggered by the demise by Wasps and Worcester.

The report accused RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney and his PRL counterpart Simon Massie-Taylor, who appeared at that hearing, of holding a “very complacent belief” that plans to increase revenues and improve collaboration would solve annual losses averaging around £4 million per club.
Criticism of Wasps' 'disastrous' relocation and Worcester's 'unscrupulous owners'

The committee concluded that poor oversight from both governing bodies contributed to Wasps and Worcester collapsing, and criticised “a lack of safeguards in place at the highest levels of the game” to help prevent such issues.

“At Wasps, a disastrous and ill-thought-through relocation to Coventry, and the debt incurred to fund this, crippled the club financially,” the report read. “At Worcester Warriors, unscrupulous owners mismanaged club finances while attempting to strip the club of its assets. One of the most striking facets of the problems at Worcester Warriors was the lack of due diligence undertaken regarding its owners, particularly Colin Goldring.”

The committee’s conclusions and recommendations included that when the RFU should write to the committee with “a detailed commentary of its financial position and what steps it will be taking to prevent further clubs collapsing”.

The committee added: “The demise during the playing season of two Premiership clubs is a stain on the reputation of the RFU and PRL. It is not indicative of a healthy professional set-up. We welcome the planned reforms to prevent similar occurrences in the future, but such alarming circumstances should not have been required in order for the RFU and PRL to realise the necessity of these reforms. The financial situation of Premiership clubs is clearly unsustainable, and we are surprised by the very complacent belief of Bill Sweeney and Simon Massie-Taylor that further growth in club revenues will solve these problems.”
'RFU and PRL's new plans will not make a difference'

The collapse of both clubs triggered scores of job losses, including those of their entire playing squads and MPs said the introduction of a benevolent fund was a “pressing need”.

Green said: “Club rugby at the top of the game is in disarray. Inert leadership from the RFU and PRL has allowed mismanagement to collapse two of English rugby’s top teams. Thousands of loyal fans have been deprived of their clubs and hundreds of jobs have been lost. We welcome the raft of changes announced by the PRL and RFU. Better safeguards and a stronger owners’ and directors’ test are desperately needed. But it’s incredibly disappointing that two clubs had to collapse for the rugby governing bodies to act.

“More worryingly, the root of the problem remains. Rugby clubs are still spiralling into debt and the RFU and PRL’s current revenue-boosting plans haven’t done enough in the past and are unlikely to make a difference going forward. With its upcoming annual report, the RFU must demonstrate to the committee how it will protect the rest of the league from financial ruin.”

In response to the committee’s report, the RFU and Premiership Rugby issued a joint statement.

“Professional rugby clubs are independent, individually managed businesses,” they said. “However, it’s clear that the pandemic and economic environment has further exposed the fragility in the professional system. Together, we are working hard to address these issues and create a sustainable league. 

“Whilst commercial growth will be important, there is equally a major focus on financial monitoring and management, as well as improving governance and some of the other foundational elements which are important to attract future investment in the club game. Plans are already in place for a financial monitoring panel where we are conducting a third-party financial review of all clubs and will aim to announce an independent chair in due course. Player welfare is an absolute priority for all rugby stakeholders, and players are represented on the Professional Game Board, the RFU council and player welfare committees.”

Goldring and business partner Jason Whittingham have repeatedly denied attempted asset stripping at Worcester.

Both were disqualified from being directors of any company last year for failing to file accounts for Worcester Sport Limited to the Registrar of Companies at Companies House in Cardiff.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 05:58:08 PM »
Sweeney and Taylor-Massie have to fall on their swords now.

Their continuing presence is untenable.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 06:30:28 PM »
I’m not well up enough on the Wuss situation to comment. But Taylor and Sweeney being criticised for our situation is bonkers in my opinion. Neither was in any position to have any say on our decision making. The blame lies with the ridiculous situation of PR being run by its own members. There is no independent oversight at all. I could not tell you what Taylor’s job is. The league is run by the club owners. They make the decisions. A better argument than Taylor having to resign is that he shouldn’t be there in the first place. Hindsight from MP’s is empty words at this point. It’s galling that everyone throws the pandemic in as a huge factor apart from those deciding whether it was a factor! As far as I can see there’s lots of nice words and silly aspirational talk but nothing that will shift any power away from the owners. Therefore the problem will just carry on.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2023, 10:57:34 PM »
This just about sums it up.

RugbyPass 
  ·
NO PUNCHES PULLED 🥊

🚨 On Wasps: "Disastrous and ill-thought-through relocation to Coventry..."

🚨 On Worcester: "Unscrupulous owners mismanaged club finances while attempting to strip the club of its assets..."

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 11:03:24 PM »
This just about sums it up.

RugbyPass
  ·
NO PUNCHES PULLED 🥊

🚨 On Wasps: "Disastrous and ill-thought-through relocation to Coventry..."

🚨 On Worcester: "Unscrupulous owners mismanaged club finances while attempting to strip the club of its assets..."

And the quote on Wasps by Sweeney.