Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps plan new ?Wasps Nest Stadium? and return to Premiership by 2025-26  (Read 6013 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It?s light on detail as it?s not a press release or announcement. It?s just a snippet. I?d be amazed if a plan was going forward if the foundation of it (playing in the champ next season) wasn?t very well progressed as well. Exciting news and once again massive thanks to those involved (probably gratis).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It?s light on detail as it?s not a press release or announcement. It?s just a snippet. I?d be amazed if a plan was going forward if the foundation of it (playing in the champ next season) wasn?t very well progressed as well. Exciting news and once again massive thanks to those involved (probably gratis).

Looks to me to be part (part because a whole summary would touch on starting up) of a possible Executive Summary. That would suggest a more substantial document covering all aspects.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Well, at least Wasps have confirmed the concept as reported is true.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Well, we have all been asking what progress has been made and why there is no news. Now we have something. Sounds like the new proposed board have been working hard whilst some of us were complaining. There were hints of a possible announcement in the next week or so - so keep our fingers crossed.
Most people commenting here seem to agree that the M40/Chiltern Line corridor is an appropriate area. Easy trip to and from Marylebone  for those who might travel from London and Birmingham.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It has to attract old fans, so that area is a best of both worlds. The closer we get to London the better, but the closer we get to London the less viable it is, and the further away from recent acquistons to the Wasp family, so there has to be z point that people from Ipswich and Brighton say 'OK it is long but I can live with it', where Bucks fans can deal and old Londoners alongside Coventry based fans can have a smallish trek.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Don't forget the Western contingent.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Some people seem to be getting carried away here.
This is a plan, which has been seen by the Guardian. That is all it is. Its just an asperation.

Theres no statement from anyone at Wasps. We dont know if the funding exists, the comment on playing Champ games at the Training centre doesnt address known issues with that so thats not a given & there nothing concrete from anywhere about where Wasps will play in September, who will play for them & who will be coaching.

Frankly, while this is all very interesting it doesnt move the New Wasps any further forward at all.

Yes I am sure stuff is going on in the back ground and maybe that stuff can't be announced till its all in place but without that official announcement, we are really no better off

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
A Wasps spokesperson said: ?The privileged and leaked document referred to in the article seeks to meet the objectives of future sustainable ownership. By definition that requires ownership of a ground to meet the requirements of ?brand leverage revenues?.?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
A Wasps spokesperson said: ?The privileged and leaked document referred to in the article seeks to meet the objectives of future sustainable ownership. By definition that requires ownership of a ground to meet the requirements of ?brand leverage revenues?.?

which proves what? That in the longer term New Wasps want to own their own stadium so they are more financially sustainable. What club would not want that?
That doesnt prove that this is anything other than an aspirational business plan full of buzzwords.

As a side question, would love to know who the "Wassps spokesperson" was...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

which proves what? That in the longer term New Wasps want to own their own stadium so they are more financially sustainable. What club would not want that?
That doesnt prove that this is anything other than an aspirational business plan full of buzzwords.

Pudsey???
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
All we know is that the Guardian has seen a document and what they have reported hasn't been denied.

It could be anything from an aspirational discussion document for potential investors and Board members to a final version after talks with all interested parties, including planners, RFU and investors. After all this time and judging from the Wasps response my guess is that it is closer to the final version than an aspirational discussion document.

They wouldn't suddenly be writing about playing at Henley without having discussed the implications with local planners and getting some form of tacit approval, which is by no means certain they'll get final approval. (I've seen too many mobile phone site outline plans approved, even encouraged, by planners only for local politicians to object at the last minute to be taken in at this stage)

Edit: There doesn't appear to be any planning applications for the EPIC

https://apps.stratford.gov.uk/eplanning/Map.aspx?east=414897&north=265052

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:40:07 AM by Bloke in North Dorset »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Pudsey???

This I would doubt due to the early errant post by him and the ensuing silence. Also have you ever known a Guardian "journalist" to move much beyond their Kings X white house (which I have to say has a nice bar on the ground floor).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Even you in your dourest moments must realise that the bit in the Guardian can only be a snippet of a possible Executive Summary and not a full blown detailed release giving the "way forward".

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Some points to consider. If you start today with an idea to build something like a hotel or stadium, on a greenfield site, probably one that the local council has in general principal agreed some form of development is likely to be approved, but where nothing specific has yet been mooted, it will take you about 10 years to see the final brick laid, the final shrubbery planted, the access roads surfaced, and utilities turned on. 10 years. If there are local objections, add up to another 5 years.

Wasps want the 'Wasps Nest'. But, can they have it, by 26/27/28? Not a chance if a project they can hijack has not already been 'in progress' for 5-7 years. That is the reality of our planning system. I don't know what it is like in Warwick, but in my district council, next door Stratford, it can take a year for even simple planning applications in areas where development is generally permitted, to get their first hearing (ignore maximum waiting times for planning applications, it simply doesn't happen round here).