Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps plan new ?Wasps Nest Stadium? and return to Premiership by 2025-26  (Read 5999 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Exclusive from The Guardian.

New stadium proposed for M40 corridor site
Ambitious rebuilding plan follows club?s financial collapse

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/13/wasps-plan-new-wasps-nest-stadium-and-return-to-premiership-by-2025-26
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Championship matches at Henley - first thought not enough car parking
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Literally just read this and was about to post it!

Text of article:

Wasps are seeking funding for a new 24,000-capacity stadium development and are targeting a projected return to the top flight for the 2025-26 season as part of an ambitious rebuilding plan following the club?s financial collapse last autumn which saw them ejected from the Premiership.

The club?s vision, as outlined in documents seen by the Guardian, involves a new permanent home in the M40 corridor to be known as Wasps Nest Stadium. The proposed complex, which is intended to be fully operational by 2027-28 would also include a hotel, conference facilities and community leisure opportunities, with work potentially commencing in 2025 subject to planning and other permissions.

Wasps fell into administration in October, with 167 players and staff being made redundant, but have been cleared to resume playing in the Championship from next season. As things stand, it is understood the club?s existing training ground in Henley-in-Arden could potentially satisfy the criteria to stage competitive league matches.

This year a DCMS committee concluded the demise of Wasps and Worcester were ?a stain on the reputation? of the Rugby Football Union and Premiership Rugby who were accused of ?inert leadership? and warned the financial situation of Premiership teams was ?clearly unsustainable?.

A number of former Wasps players, however, remain committed to resurrecting the club and re-establishing it as a viable Premiership concern. Under the strapline ?Stung ? but Resilient? the club?s stated vision is ?to be an inspirational sports business? with promotion back to the Premiership in 2025 seen as a key element of the business plan.

Financially the aim is for rugby revenues to account for less than 50% of Wasps total revenues by 2028, with the objective of ?brand leveraged revenues? from other stadium activities bringing in an estimated ?7m per annum from 2027 onwards.

That mission statement has been made harder by the formal loss of the club?s ?P share? which, following the club?s descent into administration, is in the process of being bought back by Premiership Rugby. The ?P share? guarantees the holder a share of centrally-generated income and would cost at least ?15m to repurchase.

Wasps will also have to rebuild their local supporter base and to source fresh investment at a time when English rugby?s financial outlook has rarely looked less certain. The Guardian understands, that a strong, new-look board containing several prominent and successful business leaders will be formally announced soon with the task of ensuring that spending is constrained by revenues.

A Wasps spokesperson issued the following statement to the Guardian: ?The privileged and leaked document referred to in the article seeks to meet the objectives of future sustainable ownership. By definition that requires ownership of a ground to meet the requirements of ?brand leverage revenues?.?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Likewise you got in with text first.

Interestingly the final paragraph is not the normal denial or comment that it is an outline.

OK folks - where in the M40 corridor? First guess Oxfordish?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Just read this in the paper itself. Total shock to see us there top rugby story.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting that it was posted on their site at 9.30. I checked about 8.30 bit only saw Billy injury (shame) and orange card article.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Likewise you got in with text first.

Interestingly the final paragraph is not the normal denial or comment that it is an outline.

OK folks - where in the M40 corridor? First guess Oxfordish?

It's not a competition  ;)

I remember reading something about Bicester / Banbury before - M40, Chiltern Line rail etc. Not to go over old ground, but given it's now a real possibility...

MarleyWasp

This sounds very much like the new ownership team have pinched the recommendations from my GCSE Geography coursework...

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Gaydon area?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
all very nice and lovely but when do we get some concrete information?
Confirmed location to play Champ matches, confirmed management & players?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
all very nice and lovely but when do we get some concrete information?
Confirmed location to play Champ matches, confirmed management & players?

Sounds like they have been preparing for an announcement and part of it has just been gazumped (or fed).

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Sounds like that analysis I did a while back, where I concluded it would be M40 corridor.

Overlay the M40 junctions with rail stations that have decent access and direct services to London, Coventry and the West Midlands.

Then proximity to Henley in Arden.

If they are planning hotels and conference facilities, an International airport needs to be near(ish).

Take all of that, and J13-J15 M40 would be the approximate area. Leamington gives you the rail links. Leamington also gives you the M40/M42, but also great links up to Leicester (M69), North West up the M6 and North East up the M42/M1. It also has the housing/schools where players would like to live. Birmingham and Coventry airports are nearby (as is Wellesbourne if you are a private plane or helicopter flyer).

JLR have a massive site down the road at Gaydon (but the Gaydon junction on the M40 is pretty useless for any other access except JLR).

Then there is the problem of finding a site. Given the timescale they mention, it has to be a site that already has some form of approval for a stadium, and the only place on that M40 corridor from Oxford to Henley is in Leamington.

To which a number of trolls on social media have told me I am off my #### thinking that site could be used.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well that is great news if it is true. And the lack of an immediate denial suggests it might be.

I'm a little worried about the idea of a stadium with hotel, and conference facilities being the main income generator, as we have seen only too well how fragile that can be.

Matches in Henley for the time being isn't a bad idea if they can sort the parking issues. They'll have to do a little work to add more loos and a proper bar, but that's definitely possible.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Sounds like that analysis I did a while back, where I concluded it would be M40 corridor.

Overlay the M40 junctions with rail stations that have decent access and direct services to London, Coventry and the West Midlands.

Then proximity to Henley in Arden.

If they are planning hotels and conference facilities, an International airport needs to be near(ish).

Take all of that, and J13-J15 M40 would be the approximate area. Leamington gives you the rail links. Leamington also gives you the M40/M42, but also great links up to Leicester (M69), North West up the M6 and North East up the M42/M1. It also has the housing/schools where players would like to live. Birmingham and Coventry airports are nearby (as is Wellesbourne if you are a private plane or helicopter flyer).

JLR have a massive site down the road at Gaydon (but the Gaydon junction on the M40 is pretty useless for any other access except JLR).

Then there is the problem of finding a site. Given the timescale they mention, it has to be a site that already has some form of approval for a stadium, and the only place on that M40 corridor from Oxford to Henley is in Leamington.

To which a number of trolls on social media have told me I am off my #### thinking that site could be used.

I think it was your previous analysis I was referring to above when I talked about Banbury etc. Did try and find it on the old "search" thingy, but to no avail.

Where's the site in Leam with approval?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Well that is great news if it is true. And the lack of an immediate denial suggests it might be.

I'm a little worried about the idea of a stadium with hotel, and conference facilities being the main income generator, as we have seen only too well how fragile that can be.

Matches in Henley for the time being isn't a bad idea if they can sort the parking issues. They'll have to do a little work to add more loos and a proper bar, but that's definitely possible.

Also need a second changing room. There is one big one only. EDIT: I do seem to remember an Academy Changing Room but never entered so no idea of size.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 12:27:06 PM by Neils »