Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase  (Read 21950 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »
Holland has bought the name in effect. I?m not certain but I guess he can do what he wants with it.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2023, 07:55:04 AM »
Irish into administration got there before the Falcons.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2023, 08:12:22 AM »

Is there a link to this?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2023, 08:21:37 AM »

Is there a link to this?

Can't find it anywhere  - so??
Let me tell you something cucumber

Zummerzetwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2023, 08:42:14 AM »
Talk Sport are reporting that LI have gone into administration. Very sad if true.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2023, 08:59:13 AM »
Please  -  let this be a mistake.  At this rate there could be a Premiership 'B' Group forming,  and the RFU can then achieve it's (presumably) hoped-for  Premiership 'A' Group of  4 permanent nailed-on teams.  I hope the RFU are happy 'cos I'm definitely not.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2023, 09:02:48 AM »
Sad news if true about LI, and given what's been rumoured it doesn't sound good.

Back to the topic at hand. I presume there's a set time for the Atlas deal to be completed. The opening article doesn't mention it but from my limited experience of such complicated deals that have to be complete by a set date they usually include a time of mid morning or midday so that whatever needs to be completed can be doe that day.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »
The London Irish story seems to be a rumour that they couldn't pay their staff this month, with various media speculation that they have/will be then going into administration.
Nothing more than that at the moment.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »
From The Times

London Irish are at risk of following Worcester Warriors and Wasps into financial meltdown after players and staff failed to receive their salaries for the month of April.

The American consortium involved in takeover talks with the Gallagher Premiership club informed all employees in a meeting on Friday that their money would not be paid on time.

A follow-up email was sent on Sunday with assurances that confirmation of payment would be received by Monday evening in the UK, once the banks in the United States had opened for business.

Worcester?s players and staff faced months of broken promises over unpaid salaries and potential takeovers before the club collapsed. They are all still out of pocket and some have found employment hard to come by.

The new owners of Worcester have refused to revive the club in the Championship because that would require them to pay back all rugby creditors, which would cost up to ?8 million.

Wasps are due to return in the Championship next season, having passed the RFU?s initial criteria, but the club are understood to have major funding issues. They have no coaches, no players and no home ground.

London Irish do not have the tax office chasing them, which is ultimately what triggered the collapse of Worcester and Wasps, but they are deemed to be at ?high risk? because of their debt and low annual turnover.

Although the club has a training facility that has been used by NFL teams and international rugby teams, London Irish does not own a stadium that can be used to generate non-matchday income.

There were fears last month that London Irish would be unable to pay their players but the American consortium covered the March payroll, but it has failed to do so this time.

London Irish refused to comment over the weekend. A spokesperson for the consortium deflected questions back to the club, even though the players and staff were addressed by a representative of the American investors on Friday. They were told that a deal is close.

Premiership Rugby and the RFU have been approached for comment.

The financial crisis across the league has deepened in recent years. According to a parliamentary investigation, Premiership clubs each lose, on average, ?4 million a year. Premiership Rugby failed to secure an uplift on its broadcasting deal with BT Sport. Every club is now saddled with government debt of between ?10-15 million after taking out loans to stay afloat during the pandemic.

Premiership Rugby is working to relaunch the league in 2024 as a ten-team competition, removing clashes with Test matches to ensure the England players are available more often.

Promotion and relegation is due to return at the end of next season, via a play-off between the bottom side in the Premiership and the Championship winners, but that is now highly unlikely to happen.

There is an acceptance around the Premiership that something radical needs to change if the league is to attract more investment and avoid sinking further into the financial abyss.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
The London Irish story seems to be a rumour that they couldn't pay their staff this month, with various media speculation that they have/will be then going into administration.
Nothing more than that at the moment.

It is no longer a rumour about the pay. They didn't get paid, despite assurances. An American 'backer' was supposed to have paid the wages as part of a takeoever deal, and that deal was supposed to have been concluded by April 30 (no sign that it has). But, to be able to take over a PRL club, the RFU have got to approve the new owners, and the RFU will no longer be 'rushed' in to rubber stamping any deal. Irish have a home game against Exeter this weekend. If I was the stadium owner, I would be asking for payment up front, the same with any service providers (like the medical staff, without whom the game cannot proceed). The players have yet to be paid. Will they play?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
It is no longer a rumour about the pay.

Fair enough, hadnt seen the full Times article.

The players have yet to be paid. Will they play?
And are the still insured?

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2023, 10:00:04 AM »
London Irish do not have the tax office chasing them
Did LI take one of the government's covid loans? Isn't that what caused the tax man to come knocking at both Worcester and Wasps?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2023, 10:03:04 AM »
Thanks Nelly;  very clear and concise. 

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2023, 10:36:43 AM »
I don't buy the "waiting for the banks to open" excuse. Big multinationals don't use cheques that need a retail branch to be open, they could move the money if they wanted and had it to hand.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
I don't buy the "waiting for the banks to open" excuse. Big multinationals don't use cheques that need a retail branch to be open, they could move the money if they wanted and had it to hand.

This
Let me tell you something cucumber