Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase  (Read 22338 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2023, 04:11:33 PM »
Doesn't seem to be many facts in that article.
If Wasps were hoping to move to Sixways you would have expected them to have spoken to the RFU while waiting for the sale to Atlas to go ahead & got a provisional yes or no.
If, (big IF) this is a report of an official request then you would expect Wasps to already know the answer to the question...

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2023, 04:26:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/matthardyjourno/status/1653780011302674436?s=46&t=uqL3_JPW8PntNGwES-NjpA

RFU CONFIRM: "Wasps have applied to use Sixways Stadium, the RFU will consult with local stakeholders"

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2023, 04:31:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/matthardyjourno/status/1653780011302674436?s=46&t=uqL3_JPW8PntNGwES-NjpA

RFU CONFIRM: "Wasps have applied to use Sixways Stadium, the RFU will consult with local stakeholders"

Ooh that's a surprise 😮
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2023, 04:34:37 PM »
So the RFU will consider it by the end of May - of course speed kills.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2023, 04:45:46 PM »
Crossed fingers.   If this (big 'if this')  goes ahead  then Wasps might just survive,  I think. Personally I would be happier in the Championship than the Premiership. IF it all goes ahead.  There are many pot holes to navigate yet.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2023, 04:56:06 PM »
I'm doubtless being thick - but if we've asked about 6ways, presumably we have an overall "package" that would fit with playing in the Championship. Players, coaching, support staff

Otherwise, we've got nothing?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2023, 05:02:27 PM »
Doesn't seem to be many facts in that article.
If Wasps were hoping to move to Sixways you would have expected them to have spoken to the RFU while waiting for the sale to Atlas to go ahead & got a provisional yes or no.
If, (big IF) this is a report of an official request then you would expect Wasps to already know the answer to the question...
As always with these things there?s a big difference between informal discussions and formal application, because that?s when the lawyers and politically motivated get involved. Think about applying to build an extension or or even new house. You talk to the local planners and they tell you wants needed and give a nod of approval. The. You apply and the planning committee gets objections from people you?ve never even heard of.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2023, 05:02:51 PM »
I'm doubtless being thick - but if we've asked about 6ways, presumably we have an overall "package" that would fit with playing in the Championship. Players, coaching, support staff

They've asked for next season so you have to assume so.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2023, 05:07:41 PM »

They've asked for next season so you have to assume so.
I'll keep crossing random limbs......

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »

For me, I would want the RFU to say 'No.' It doesn't sit well with me.

W2APS

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2023, 06:59:18 PM »
Playing at Worcester is the best option in a bad situation. An established quality rugby facility is available, make the most of it. Yes it sucks that Atlas have control of the place, but it's still better than playing at a non league football ground, in every other aspect. If we're still there in 5 years time, and not at our own place (Oxfordshire M40 corridor, definitely not London because thays as likely and feasible as the CBS now) then we're up finance creek again with only a teaspoon.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2023, 07:39:59 PM »
I think firstly you have to feel for the Worcester fans. This is a horrible situation for them. Looking pragmatically you can sort of think ?why not? but it will feel odd. Bottom line - if it means we survive I?ll take it.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2023, 08:20:41 PM »
I think firstly you have to feel for the Worcester fans. This is a horrible situation for them. Looking pragmatically you can sort of think ?why not? but it will feel odd. Bottom line - if it means we survive I?ll take it.

Looking at it pragmatically, the Ricoh was also, why not?

Wasps were not wanted there. They are not wanted in Worcester. The Ricoh was too expensive to run, and Wasps rarely filled it. It lost money every week pretty much.

Unless Atlas are offering Sixways at a silly low price, like below cost, Wasps will again lose money every week they play there.

As far away as the Ricoh was from London, Sixways is further.

I am far from convinced the RFU will agree to moving so far from Coventry, but they might. After all, they were OK with the other moves Wasps made. Allegedly, the RFU will not let Wasps know until the end of May. The cup competition starts in September. That's just 3 months to get a low salary cost squad and staff together. There is no way players will have time to move home. Indeed, on much lower wages, can they afford it? I seriously wonder where players of sufficient calibre are going to be found at low wages. Sure, the other Championship clubs have such players. Some on loan from PRL clubs, but they have built their current squads over a decade and more. What are Wasps going to do? Recruit out of contract Premiership Academy players and discarded Premiership players? None of this adds up for me.

I am very far from convinced that Wasps have the finance in place.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2023, 08:28:33 PM »
If it's between Wasps playing at Sixways or no Wasps at all, I know what my preference would be. It's been reported recently that at 100 Premiership players are without a contract for next season (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/25/life-after-rugby-union-premiership-players-face-demanding-transition) so I don't think there is a shortage of available players by any means. Players don't necessarily need to live locally straight away. Lee was saying he has a 3 hour commute to the Scarlets, not something that is sustainable in the long run but it is manageable for the short term. It won't be straightforward and it's not ideal but I for one am hoping, perhaps over-optimistically, that this will materialise in to Wasps being in the Championship. I don't think those behind the scenes would still be putting in the effort at this point in the year if they didn't think it would be possible to have a team on the field come September.