Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase  (Read 22290 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2023, 07:15:25 PM »
The conspiracy theory is far too intricate and bits of the timeline just don?t fit. I suspect it?s far simpler. Holland has seen how Atlas operate and the debenture secures Wasps three year lease. Remember, the RFU have not approved this yet either. What?s more intriguing to be honest is the intention to use Henley for ?other use?. That?s strange unless he?s going to total it.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »
So, we are asked to understand that the debenture is, in effect, an advance payment of rent, for three years. So, what, 40 games? Plus, we can use the ground to train. Maybe for other games as well (like the academy, maybe the ladies team?). What would Wasps use Henley for then? It has a big farmhouse and converted barn buildings that has been (or was being) converted to apartments for academy players to live in.

I'm pretty sure the academy house isn't part of the EPIC.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2023, 07:56:58 PM »
Wonder if Birmingham City might be staying longer.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2023, 07:59:06 PM »
NWW it's very easy to see conspiracy everywhere if you want to.

But it's also just as easy to see a more straight forward option.
Atlas maybe wanted to resurrect warriors, but the rfu denied them when they wouldn't pay rugby creditors.
Atlas want the stadium and a token ownership of the club.
Financial backers get cold feet when they no longer have a tier2 club.

At the same time, wasps are in the deep shit. Every option has looked like failing.
Atlas aren't going to get rfu backing.
Chris Holland has to decide to either let wasps fall with no ground, or make the best of the situation by loaning money to atlas to get the stadium deal done, and maybe negotiate better rates for wasps at the same time.

Im not sure i like the idea of this new wasps, and I like the idea of playing at sixways even less (feels like jumping in a grave).
But that doesn't mean there's a conspiracy at every turn

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2023, 08:08:57 PM »

Atlas maybe wanted to resurrect warriors, but the rfu denied them when they wouldn't pay rugby creditors.

At the same time, wasps are in the deep shit. Every option has looked like failing.
Chris Holland has to decide to either let wasps fall with no ground, or make the best of the situation by loaning money to atlas to get the stadium deal done, and maybe negotiate better rates for wasps at the same time.

Im not sure i like the idea of this new wasps, and I like the idea of playing at sixways even less (feels like jumping in a grave).

I agree. But, you are never likely to be in the majority in that. Excluding Wasps fans, if anyone has an interest in Sixways, Worcester rugby and the wider rugby family, they are far more likely to believe the worst. That will make for a very sour atmosphere, especially in Worcester, but anywhere that Wasps go.

And, how can they train at Sixways? It has only one pitch, and no grass. Does it have weights and conditioning rooms, or do they have to go next door to David Lloyds?

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2023, 08:13:16 PM »
I hope Pudsey can get his money back on his new lawnmower.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2023, 09:43:21 PM »

I agree. But, you are never likely to be in the majority in that. Excluding Wasps fans, if anyone has an interest in Sixways, Worcester rugby and the wider rugby family, they are far more likely to believe the worst. That will make for a very sour atmosphere, especially in Worcester, but anywhere that Wasps go.

And, how can they train at Sixways? It has only one pitch, and no grass. Does it have weights and conditioning rooms, or do they have to go next door to David Lloyds?
I have to say NWW I?m not particularly worried what others think of us. It will inevitably be negative no matter what the actual facts are. I don?t buy the conspiracy view and subscribe to the view in wasps post above. There are loads of moving parts that we just don?t know enough about at the moment. Remember when we had no news?!?!

W2APS

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2023, 08:04:47 AM »
Agreed Shugs. Conspiracy theories can be left to the minds of other teams fans who have nothing else to do. I don't know Mr Holland and wouldn't know him if I bumped into him. But I do know Scrivs and have absolute trust in anything Wasps related that he backs. Considerably more than a certain other former number 8, who could afford and was able to dip his hand in many pies besides being a good times figure for professional Wasps group.

As for the EPIC, it's paying its way at the moment hosting Birmingham City. If they need to stay there longer or full time then by all means sell it to them. I don't know what state their fire damaged facilities are in now or if they can afford to fix them up or buy the EPIC. Same applies to Coventry City. We know they are always looking to sell their training ground for housing and they seem to be under more solid and reliable leadership now. So definitely a viable candidate to purchase the place.

If we are (pretty please) to build our own M40 Wasps Nest stadium then I'm sure that will come with appropriate facilities. Especially if we're to work alongside a lower tier club in any way, which I wouldn't bet against.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2023, 08:25:23 AM »
It's interesting (and pleasing) to read that we now seem to have a future being mapped out. The guys and gals working behind the scenes must have been working their socks off.

A lot still to do - not least of which is a massive PR offensive in Worcester!

From where we were heading a couple of weeks back, I am now much more confident that we will have a team to follow next season.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
But I do know Scrivs and have absolute trust in anything Wasps related that he backs.

Nothing personal, but plenty on here said similar about the previous ownership, that didn't stop Wasps going bust.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »

Some of the conspiracies are pathetic.

Lets look at the facts.

Atlas were the preferred buyer at Warriors, they were upfront that they wouldn't be pushing for Warriors to be in the Championship, basically as they didn't want to pay the rugby creditors. They then went looking for a lower league team to put rugby on at 6ways.
As preferred buyer they basically timed out every other bidder from getting Warriors back in the Championship.
Atlas claim they are in discussions with Wasps about playing at 6ways, something Wasps denied (in a very rare statement)
Atlas missed the 2nd May confirmation date.
Debenture raised against 6ways by Chris Hollands company on the 3rd May, to support a 3 year lease for Wasps.
Atlas purchase confirmation comes on the 3rd May.

Wasps was bought by Holland and they got everything in place with the RFU including agreement to play at Solihull Moors (this was confirmed by the RFU spokesperson yesterday)
Wasps have confirmed they have now requested to RFU to play at 6ways, but not approved by RFU yet.

What we are now assuming.

Atlas have struggled to get the funding together potentially the US backers having walked away.
Atlas having made a statement that they were in discussions with Wasps, which was denied, have approached Chris Holland on this again. Also potentially speak to Holland about funding as that is something his company does. Did Holland get preferential rates as Atlas had missed their funding and purchase dates?
Holland agrees an unknown sum via a debenture for the 3 years lease for wasps, is that basically the payment for the rent, secured on the property or actually a way for him to become a proper partner in the ownership? He says not, only for the lease.

What happens to the EPIC? Already in use by Birmingham City for this season, have they realised how good it is compared to their previous training ground and want to stay?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »
Wasps didn't deny being in talks with Atlas, they denied signing a ground share agreement.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2023, 02:51:19 PM »
Wasps didn't deny being in talks with Atlas, they denied signing a ground share agreement.

It's what I meant.

It's also obviously what happened as the RFU have confirmed that Wasps had applied based on playing at Solihull Moors.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »
So at the moment we have no agreement to play in the championship?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2023, 05:24:53 PM »
So at the moment we have no agreement to play in the championship?

My understanding is that Wasps do have agreement to play in the Champ, but only on condition that they have a home ground that the RFU approves of.
They may not approve of Six Ways, given potential local strength of feeling, but it sounds like Solihull Moors is a plan B

RFU approval, or otherwise due by the end of May apparently