Always a Wasp

Author Topic: It?s over?  (Read 5209 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: It?s over?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2023, 11:18:02 AM »
Stephen Jones tweeted that another club will likely go within a week.

Also Wasps quoted 232 players and 37 coaches available which I would suggest is based on actual numbers made jobless in recent times.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 11:42:32 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
Also Wasps quoted 233 players and 37 coaches available which I would suggest is based on actual numbers made jobless in recent times.

I was always confident that there were the players available.

So sad that many of them won't get a chance to make it.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2023, 12:43:47 PM »
I am not suggesting there no players available, but how many of those Prem or Champ quality players will want to play level 10 rugby against some local grassroots clubs 3rd team for no money?

Be realistic, any player that is available will be looking for, in this order:
1. A paid job in a pro side
2. a semi-pro job
3. amateur, but with some expenses in a nat 1 or 2 side
4. county 1 level, but in a side thats organised & looking towards the future
5. any lower & a pretence of a career in rugby is out the window & its then about playing for a club you know, maybe where your mates play or where you played as a junior.

Level 10 rugby is VERY poor quality, any club playing at that level is doing it for fun & enjoyment & nothing else.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2023, 12:44:16 PM »
Pudsey
@WaspsKitMan
?
58m
It?s not the end, not even close. I am proud to have worked with some wonderful players, staff and others here. Keep the faith. Once a Wasp Always a Wasp 💔. Anyone up for some old school Pudsey after Crackerjack ? #everykitmanknows.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
Stephen Jones tweeted that another club will likely go within a week.

Also Wasps quoted 232 players and 37 coaches available which I would suggest is based on actual numbers made jobless in recent times.

To be fair Stephen Jones also wrote an article about the crowds at this week's London 7s last week

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2023, 02:49:50 PM »
I find all this hard to come to terms with still. Waiting and hoping the legends would be able to resurrect the club has been torturous for many I think. It's a sad day when such a great club in English sport, its fans, players and staff and reputation are victims of a raft of ill conceived plans and dreadful mis-management on all fronts.

What galls me even more is that I'm sure CCFC fans will see this as a fantastic week - reaching the play off final and Wasps finally going out of existence as a pro club. All I wanted was to support my local pro rugby club and was lucky enough to enjoy some amazing success on top of the bad times.

From "mission accomplished' in Dubai/UAE or wherever it was, to the Booker Airfield and then on to Coventry, we've been lead a merry dance by whoever had a fantasy plan for success. We'll probably never know the full story, the machinations on the various boards, but as things stand right now moving the club to the Midlands failed and was a ridiculous idea (I still believe the club was used to get the stadium), making too many enemies in the process. It never felt right to me although I stuck with it, and I think in the absence of more information, Derek has to take the blame for this. If he really loved the club he would have helped the Legends (maybe he did?) and not veto'd the rescue package that the board were in favour of. It feels like the club and fans were picked up, kicked around for a bit and then booted into touch.

That's blame that has to be apportioned to the club itself. All this happened in an environment of cheating, with Saracens running riot for years with their undermining of the pro game and scamming their fellow professionals, and their toxicity has been allowed to damage the English pro game beyond repair. It's been allowed by an incompetent RFU and PRL boards, where if there was any dignity the CEO's would have resigned following the outcome of the DCMS enquiry. Covid clearly had an impact to a degree but has been casually waved away by these fools and their mignons, and quite who is calling the shots no know really knows, but it's a good bet it's not the people paid to ensure the health of the game. On top of that, Gob Baxter and his club who most benefitted from a competitive Prem and promotion/relegation, now wants to close that opportunity and pathway to anyone else, and seems to have an overt influence over the powers that run the game.

This lot put their own interests over everything and it's resulted in English rugby becoming a basket case - all about exclusivity rather than inclusivity. The pro game is rotten.

RIP Wasps and thanks for the memories.

W2APS

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2023, 04:27:35 PM »
I am not suggesting there no players available, but how many of those Prem or Champ quality players will want to play level 10 rugby against some local grassroots clubs 3rd team for no money?

Wasps RFC aren't going to have a new team at level 10 or any RFU competition. The subtitle of the Wasps final statement yesterday makes that fairly obvious.
Plus it'd be stepping on Wasps FCs toes, which given the legends links, would be silly.
It's do it at the top or not at all.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2023, 04:39:55 PM »
The mission accomplished fiasco was in Abu Dhabi, in the grounds of the Emirate?s Palace Hotel, on a surface wholly unsuited to rugby. I even went to the game as it was about a 30min walk from my flat. The logic for the event seemed to have more to do with Etihad?s then sponsorship of Quins rather than anything that might actually have benefited Wasps. In other word, it was just one of the many cock-ups that eventually led to our demise.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2023, 04:52:32 PM »
Do wonder what would have happened if Booker went through.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2023, 05:17:19 PM »
Wasps RFC aren't going to have a new team at level 10 or any RFU competition. The subtitle of the Wasps final statement yesterday makes that fairly obvious.

It said:

Our exit from the Rugby Football Union

NOT

Our exit from Rugby Union

NOT

Our permanent exit from the Rugby Football Union

W2APS

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2023, 05:41:06 PM »

It said:

Our exit from the Rugby Football Union

NOT

Our exit from Rugby Union

NOT

Our permanent exit from the Rugby Football Union

Can I join in?

It didn't say

Our temporary exit from the Rugby Football Union.

Unless major changes happen in said RFU Wasps RFC won't have a team in their competitions. Wasps RFC are not going to be starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

"Welcome to Worcester" isn't happening because the Ryan Reynolds of the ruby world looked at it, spoke to them and said bollocks to that RFU/PRL format, where's the sense in throwing money at a black hole when there's no planned prospect of getting back to the top again after going on deep financially to start with.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »
Statement now on Wasps website.
Registered address is Henley.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2023, 06:04:05 PM »
Rubys???

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2023, 07:45:53 PM »
Irrespective of where a phoenix Wasps might play and at what level, the inference I take is that the new entity has no commitment to cover any of the debt sustained by Wasps Holdings.

So the new entity could find another professional competion to enter? If that was the case it could be an attractive propostion for new investors.

I am just theorising on what has been infered in the statement on the website.

Food for thought!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »
Irrespective of where a phoenix Wasps might play and at what level, the inference I take is that the new entity has no commitment to cover any of the debt sustained by Wasps Holdings.

So the new entity could find another professional competion to enter? If that was the case it could be an attractive propostion for new investors.

I am just theorising on what has been infered in the statement on the website.

Food for thought!

Basically the RFU have removed the need to repay. As I understand it they were still willing to but rug pulled.