Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Present?  (Read 5668 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps Present?
« on: December 24, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
Tweet by Wasps seems to suggest some form of "present" for Wasps fans tomorrow. Strange.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Present?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
Fekitoa perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »
Please note te tweet actually says 'presents' plural.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
Gopperth has signed a new contract:

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/gopperth-pens-new-wasps-deal/

Wasps are delighted to reveal that versatile back Jimmy Gopperth has signed a new contract to remain at the Club.

The New Zealand-born fly half has been one of Wasps’ most reliable performers since arriving at Ricoh Arena in 2015, having amassed a whopping 771 points in 78 appearances.

After writing his name into Wasps folklore with a European Cup quarter-final-winning touchline conversion against Exeter Chiefs in 2016, Gopperth’s phenomenal 2016/17 campaign saw him named as Premiership, RPA and Wasps Player of the Season, while helping the Club reach the European quarter-finals and also the Premiership final.

In addition to this, he lifted the Golden Boot for a third time having previously twice finished as the Premiership’s top marksman.

Last season the Kiwi was at it again as he helped the men in Black and Gold to the Premiership semi-finals, as he did in 2015/16, before an unfortunate injury in the 2018/19 pre-season which has seen the stand off sidelined for the last four months.

During his earlier career, Gopperth played Super Rugby at both the Hurricanes and the Blues while also representing the Junior All Blacks before making the switch to the Northern Hemisphere in 2009. He spent four years at Newcastle Falcons, before two seasons in Ireland with Leinster Rugby ahead of the switch to Ricoh Arena.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “Jimmy has been a remarkable performer for us over the last few seasons.

“It’s been frustrating that we haven’t been able to see him on the field this season but we can’t wait to have him back and we’re delighted he’s signed a new deal.

“He brings a wealth of experience to the table and that is of huge benefit to some of the young guys coming through in the backline.”

Gopperth, 35, added: “It’s been an amazing three years at the Club and I’ve made so many lifelong friends around the place. It’s become a home away from home for me.

“I still feel like I have an awful lot to offer the game. I want to help us drive forwards and push for more honours in the coming years.

“This season has been frustrating because of injury but I’m working hard to get back ahead of schedule as I just can’t wait to get back out there at the Ricoh.”
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:07:04 AM by NellyWellyWaspy »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
As has Ben Harris

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
Smashley is going nowhere. He's signed.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
Tommy Taylor now

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
TT. Great. Wasn't he said to be definitely off?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
Chesty.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
That looks like all we are getting today. Do we suspect those are the only ones out of contract that have re-signed? There are many left who we might suspect are leaving then?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
Stuart, JCW, WLR, Simpson and Hughes presumably off. We have lost Wadey, and will we lose Daly? What about Juan de Jongh and Lovobalavu? Aren't they out of contract as well? I would have wanted to keep JdJ, but maybe not Gaby. I think Hampson is at the end of a 3 year deal as well. Not good in terms of squad churn. I have probably missed a few more as well. Isn't Thomas Young's contract up (I think he signed a two year extension 2 years ago)? Who in the second row? Myall must be up for renewal time, as with Mullen in the front row. And, I forgot Watson on the wing. I make that 15 players possibly leaving, five staying. Of those 15, one has already gone, Maybe three of those Dai would not want to keep, but he is maybe losing 12 players. It isn't just that. It is the rumours. Aren't Daly and Stuart still in contract for another year? Other places report rumours of Launchbury wanting to be off as well, also at least one year before his contract ends.

Could we see a line up of Robson, Gopperth, Fekitoa, Neal and Bassett. But who at Full Back? Miller maybe, with Umaga as a bench player? I am not sure Dai will be able to replace WLR like for like. And I am not sure Campagnaro will stay either.

Whilst Dai will undoubtedly promote some academy players, like Willis and Umaga, that will get announced in a couple of months. That still leaves a LOT of recruitment to do. Against a backdrop of very poor results.

Dai has a LOT of rebuilding to do.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:33:48 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »
I think/hope JDJ will stay, not fussed about Gaby - nice chap but not good enough and the undisputed cough up king at Wasps. Would love to see Umaga in the senior squad for next season, from what I read he has inherited the right genes :) . I think Daly may stay - no logic, just a feeling. Stuart will be a tragedy but I have resigned myself to JCW, WLR and Hughes leaving.

BTW, The Fijian scrum half Lomani, is not joining, he wants to stay in Fiji to prepare for the World Cup https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-news-fijian-star-says-no-to-premiership-club/, which makes me think Simpson may extend his stay, we should let Hampson go, he was shown up vs. Bath and is not a top scrum-half.
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
I suspect the first we will hear about Daly's movements will be from Sarries (if the rumours are true) because he's currently contracted next year so from Wasps side there will be nothing to announce.

Now that we have signed papers on a training facility I wonder if Daly can't use his alledged get out clause.

If he wants to leave then he will have to pay his way out of the contract (I'm sure Sarries will cover that), but if he does that it sets a worrying trend for rugby. Effectively that's the same as the transfer fee market in football, where agents rule the world.

I thought all the clubs had made a recent agreement not to go down this track after the May to Leic and Slater to Glos deal.

Yarde's move from Quins to Sale was during his contract but I think that was a different scenario. It sounded like he was about to given the equivalent of a gross misconduct warning by his employers and accordingly he wanted to leave and quins hierarchy wanted him to do likewise

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 09:52:20 AM »
In all honesty I won't be massively disappointed if Elliot leaves based on his on field showing for the last season or so.  He definitely has potential, but he isn't showing it.  I will howwever be disappointed that someone that should be a confirmed Wasps man is happy to go to such a different team mid contract.  I'll also be disappointed that it signifies a sea change in the way transfers are done in Rugby.  And not a good one in my opinion.

Obviously all this is currently supposition, but if it does happen then it will leave a sour taste.  Some transfers are done in a way that leaves everyone understanding why and wishing all the best to the player leaving, some less so.  This to me falls into the latter category.  Much like when Billy left.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here