Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai Update on Gopps  (Read 2052 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Dai Update on Gopps
« on: December 28, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
Bobby Bridge in the Coventry Telegraph.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/jimmy-gopperth-injury-update-wasps-15603122

Hope all continues to go well. We sure have missed him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Dai Update on Gopps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Good news, his leadership on the pitch is so important, with Launch back as well I am hoping for better times with a much greater sense of purpose going into 2019.
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
An interesting snippet from that piece:

"He’s a real utility player," said Young. "Everyone knows he’s a quality 10, a quality 12 and a quality 15 so he’s very valuable to the squad. He plays two or three positions at high quality.

How many times have you see him at 15 for Wasps? I don't recall that he has. Why would Dai say that? I wonder ... let's see:

Tough, fearless tackler.
Excellent kicker of the ball.
Rarely loses the ball in the tackle.
Excellent positional sense.
Great passer, even over long distances.
Lethal in attack whether given space or not.

Speaking as someone who progressed from 7, to 12 to 15 as my game and fitness improved (a long time ago), it does make me wonder. Is Jimmy WLR's replacement? Fekitoa then slots in at 12 (with MLB as his #2).

As a defender, I would not want to face an attack where Jimmy could suddenly slot in anywhere along that line. He has what so many do not have that play at full back; fantastic spatial awareness when running with ball in hand and offloading skills.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
Agree, and add to that a great 'talker', he is constantly making the players around him more aware. I can't wait to see him back, out of the current first team squad I admire him the most, not just a massive talent but a great team player and a massive heart for the cause.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »

I don't recall seeing him wear 15, but I have seen him cover at fullback during a game when Miller / WlR was out of position.
I have a vague recollection that he also finished at game at fullback when our starting 15 and replacement were injured

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
From memory he had a couple of shockers at 15 the year he joined, but may confusing him with Rooory.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »
An interesting snippet from that piece:

"He’s a real utility player," said Young. "Everyone knows he’s a quality 10, a quality 12 and a quality 15 so he’s very valuable to the squad. He plays two or three positions at high quality.

How many times have you see him at 15 for Wasps? I don't recall that he has. Why would Dai say that? I wonder ... let's see:

Tough, fearless tackler.
Excellent kicker of the ball.
Rarely loses the ball in the tackle.
Excellent positional sense.
Great passer, even over long distances.
Lethal in attack whether given space or not.

Speaking as someone who progressed from 7, to 12 to 15 as my game and fitness improved (a long time ago), it does make me wonder. Is Jimmy WLR's replacement? Fekitoa then slots in at 12 (with MLB as his #2).

As a defender, I would not want to face an attack where Jimmy could suddenly slot in anywhere along that line. He has what so many do not have that play at full back; fantastic spatial awareness when running with ball in hand and offloading skills.

Gopps did play 15 for a few games.. I think that was when Riurdgh was 10