Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack not even on bench  (Read 5062 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Jack not even on bench
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 03:13:47 PM »
Don't worry.  All is well.  England is in safe hands.  Even if they don't make it through the first rounds it seems that Borthwick at least is safe and secure as ''his appointment is viewed as key to  building towards the 2027 World Cup''.  (D. Tel.).  Removes tongue from cheek.  In reality -  can the world wait that long?  Why is it always jam tomorrow, never jam today?

If that were genuinely the case, as opposed to be piece of @r5e covering, Borthwick would not have made the squad picks that he did.

No. He has clearly laid out his direction of travel. It is a direction of more boredom, 'safe' hands picks, lack of vision. What can we look forward to over the next 4 years? More of the same.

Worse, by setting that as the standard by which a player can be selected, those wishing to be selected will play like that, thus encouraging the Premiership to descend in to even more boredom.

This where a lack of vision from those at the top is most evident, and where France fixed itself with real vision.
I think it?s worse. What?s the point of Jack coming back from France if he can?t even get on the bench given who?s playing? They?ve had to put a flanker at 8 so even more space.

On that point Tom must be thinking he has no England future if they?re going in to tournaments with only one recognised 8? Perhaps he thinks his move will help? I wish him well.

And how can the game grow another Cips? With no role model even if one does start to emerge it will be coached out of them in favour of whatever coaches of the day think is the percentage game.  Any aspiring flair player has to give up n England or change. They may as well go to France.

Or Italy ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 04:35:58 PM »
Don't worry.  All is well.  England is in safe hands.  Even if they don't make it through the first rounds it seems that Borthwick at least is safe and secure as ''his appointment is viewed as key to  building towards the 2027 World Cup''.  (D. Tel.).  Removes tongue from cheek.  In reality -  can the world wait that long?  Why is it always jam tomorrow, never jam today?

If that were genuinely the case, as opposed to be piece of @r5e covering, Borthwick would not have made the squad picks that he did.

No. He has clearly laid out his direction of travel. It is a direction of more boredom, 'safe' hands picks, lack of vision. What can we look forward to over the next 4 years? More of the same.

Worse, by setting that as the standard by which a player can be selected, those wishing to be selected will play like that, thus encouraging the Premiership to descend in to even more boredom.

This where a lack of vision from those at the top is most evident, and where France fixed itself with real vision.
I think it?s worse. What?s the point of Jack coming back from France if he can?t even get on the bench given who?s playing? They?ve had to put a flanker at 8 so even more space.

On that point Tom must be thinking he has no England future if they?re going in to tournaments with only one recognised 8? Perhaps he thinks his move will help? I wish him well.

And how can the game grow another Cips? With no role model even if one does start to emerge it will be coached out of them in favour of whatever coaches of the day think is the percentage game.  Any aspiring flair player has to give up n England or change. They may as well go to France.

Or Italy ;)

Indeed, what is a more than decent young player to do? Stay within the system here, or beg their parents to move abroad, to take them where, with residency rules, or maybe some family ties, rugby is played the way it should be? For Tom and Jack, they are past the point of no return, too old now to be anything other than tied to England. Both are intelligent lads, and maybe they will soon come to the same realisation that we have. I am unsure what I would do in their shoes, but hanging around to be a towel, bag or water boy is not what I would be doing.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 05:40:49 PM »

Or Italy ;)
indeed.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2023, 05:13:04 PM »
No Jack to be seen again.

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 05:19:55 PM »
One of the best backrow players in the squad cannot even get on the bench. ☹️

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2023, 06:22:11 PM »
Just reiterating what I said last week. Jack needs to tell Borthwick to FO.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2023, 06:26:44 PM »
Three years in France and they would value his skills.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2023, 11:19:54 AM »
......  and pay well too, I suspect.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2023, 12:03:00 PM »
OTOH, where would Jack be right now anyway? In France. This way he gets expenses paid, free gear, free tix, for very little risk. Busman's holiday.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 04:40:43 PM »
Jack starts at 7 v Chile, thankfully it seems he has not told Borthwick to F off.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2023, 10:32:23 AM »
Rumours in France of 4 England starters looking to move to the Top14, Daly, Sinkler, Ludlam & Stuart.
Given those already left, it would be a serious blow to England & the Prem. The no selection if you play elsewhere rule was supposed to stop this, clearly its failed.

Also interesting that French clubs are picking up English talent, given that they have a tight limit on foreign players & can choose any potentially player in world. I guess English players must be cheap, although better paid than those in the prem....

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2023, 11:19:11 AM »
Is it just pay thought? Having seen 3 clubs go to the wall playing in the more financially secure French system has its own benefits.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
Having seen 3 clubs go to the wall playing in the more financially secure French system has its own benefits.

True, but these are players in their prime with reasonably secure England places. What they could earn in France must be more than their prem wages plus England money....

Maybe the selection rule is going to be changed & the players have been given an early heads up

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2023, 11:46:46 AM »
Can't honestly see Daly being a serious blow.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2023, 09:01:14 PM »
Wonder if Daly is headed south either at or near Pau, him and Dobby were very good friends.