Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Prem Cup  (Read 1213 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Prem Cup
« on: September 13, 2023, 01:26:30 PM »
*** for those who arent interested in Professional Rugby anymore, don't bother reading any further***

First weekend of the revamped Prem Cup. For me it shows promise. Most Prem teams played the game & put out sides full of youngsters & new players. Exeter being the notable exception beating Bristol 75 - nil! Baxter showing his real colours I guess...
Highlights were Coventry beating Sarries & Ealing beating Saints. The Ealing game was televised by TNT & they did a reasonable job of showcasing the non prem club and the competition.
The Champ clubs that were hosting must have had some decent gates to help their finances.
Will be interesting to see how this develops & what the Championship club owners think. If successful it may help frame the much whispered about "Prem 2"

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Prem Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 03:23:07 PM »
Like many London area-based ex Waspies we went to Ealing, and it was a great day - seeing a host of ex-Wasps players.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
what sort of crowd did they get Roger?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »
Less than 5000 I think.

I gather many of their ST holders didn't attend (a bit like many Wasps ST holders not bothering with the various cup comps). Saints bought along many of their fans - I wonder how many of them forgot about Perivale being in the ULEZ?

There were also a few some London Irish fans who, like Wasps fans of last season, were offered free tickets.