Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kent!  (Read 6857 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kent!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2023, 07:07:17 PM »
One thing for the 'me done' crowd. Away games exist.
As a Wales based fan, over 20 plus years I have oscillated between more home than away games and vice versa. Obviously a huge amount is contingent on getting to the top tier. IF it happens, if you are SW based- Bath, Bris, Chiefs, Glaws. If you are Midlands based Cheetahs, Saints and even the saffers at Sale are within reach. If you are Southern then Quins and cheats major.
If it is second tier only, it will fail anyway.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2023, 07:08:22 PM »
From where I live it's nearer than the Ricoh/CBS by about 10 miles.

Estimated travelling time though is 35 mins longer by car (nearly 2 hours). However tht is Googles estimate for this evening - don't know what it would be like on a Saturday afternoon.

Can get, by train, to Swanley station though with only 4 changes involved - still will take nearly 3 hours though

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2023, 07:41:18 PM »
Before we get too despondent over the travelling, that survey did ask about a Wasps TV channel so they?ve obviously given the move to Kent lot of thought.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2023, 08:23:23 PM »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2023, 09:04:40 PM »
Maybe there is a plan/wish for everything Waspish to start anew?  Square 1, new broom, new Management etc, and maybe that includes the fans/supporters too?  Completely new Club.  Wasps Mk ll.  New everything. Just a thought.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2023, 09:14:22 PM »
Indoor stadium is interesting,and could be where some of the funding is coming from.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2023, 10:00:46 PM »
I?m 2017 my son was 8 years old and had never seen a rugby match in his life apart from England on the TV. Then we went to the first match of the season against Exeter and he was totally hooked and became Wasps and rugby obsessed, he joined a local rugby club where he still plays as a aspiring scrum half that combined with a Wasps season ticket and numerous away games meant our weekends became all about rugby. When the club went out business a can?t begin to tell you how devastated the boy was almost to point of tears. For the past year he?s been clinging to the hope they would resurface at some level, he did care how low down the leagues they started he just wanted to watch his beloved Wasps again. We live 15 mins from the CBS Arena so todays news has come like an arrow to his heart. With a younger brother that plays football on a Saturday morning it is just not possible for us to attend home matches also the time and cost just make it impossible. We will still do a few away matches if possible but it just won?t be the same. Apart from him playing rugby and the World Cup we just haven?t had the interest in Rugby that we had. We?re both glad to hear that there is a chance it might all start again and we truely hope if it does that it is successful it?s just with a tinge of sadness that we won?t be involved.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2023, 10:08:06 PM »
That's me done then. Nice to have known you all. My dad and brother bowed out some time ago. Looks like I will be joining them. Can't see me following a different club, so I will be at a loose end in the season.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2023, 10:27:26 PM »
Wow, my parents live in Biggin Hill just down the road so will have to stay with them on match weekends coming down from Solihull. 

To those who remember him. finally some good news for Beckenham Bandit after all these years, he lives in spitting distance!!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2023, 10:31:53 PM »
Got to be honest- Wasps away games, by and large, were better than the home.
Why? LR, AP, Ricoh. Football grounds. Sure, 25 -30 k matches were awesome. 15k, were OK. AP, 8 or 9 k rocked, 5k, not so much. Wasn't just the crowd, the shop at AP being brought out and packed away, turning back to  Wycombe shop.
None of them felt like home, save for a few Christmas matches at AP with mulled wine in the car park, and some community Wasp sales, the odd match of adversity like the 500 in one stand vs Newport, and a few times in Coventry, when the Wasps nest was open and I found some Cornish Rattler or Evie got to be face painted etc
. It felt far more Wasps at Bath, watching us win from behind after the usual 10 point head start, or watching them kick repeatedly to Wadey.  Or 6 at 6ways complementing the locals on their ground. Or at Castle Grim, moaning with the locals that they now had Cips, or drinking in the pub opposite waiting for my dad wondering if I will miss kick off. Or Fridays in Bris getting stuffed in traffic or finding Cheddar Valley at the ground.
The rugby at Wasps was fab. But most solid memories are the away matches at small rugby grounds.
Some became routine- Glaws and later Bris, who seemed to make the footie ground work better than us, others like Sale were always tied with family trips. So I would say to those screwed by this, it should not be the end. I never felt less Wasps when I managed 8 away matches and only 3 or 4 at home, any more than when it was reguarly the other way round before my daughter was born.
If we restart in Worcester then there is a start. And a long way to go yet.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2023, 08:01:30 AM »
I'll buy into it.

Kent is way too far for a regular commitment, but away games will be the staple. As others have said there will be a lead-time of some 5-6 years where we'll be Worcester based in all likelihood, so in the meantime that's a happy medium.

A trip to a "home" game will be quite the adventure!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2023, 08:13:07 AM »
I know it?s a very personal thing but I can?t see the direct correlation between not being able to attend matches and not following Wasps. I quite understand that the live matchday experience is great but there is a lot around that and, as others have said, there are away games and TV.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2023, 08:14:21 AM »
I think, like some, the away games will be a regular thing with the odd home game, having been season ticket holders since the 1st match at the Ricoh I don't see us being STH again (in Kent, if 6ways happens that may be different).
I used to go to Brands Hatch a lot (and looking at the maps went past the planned site every time) and used to use the M1 route before I gave up and took the longer (145 vs 125miles), but usually quicker M40 route home, regularly the traffic home was a nightmare due to Dartford and I think that will be a big negative for a lot who come from the eastern side of the country.