Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Strange but Nice  (Read 2609 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Strange but Nice
« on: December 06, 2023, 05:35:05 PM »
Walking between Terminal 2 and 3 at Heathrow just now and ahead of me was someone with one of those Wasps rucksacks. Big Wasps at the top.
Four years ago this weekend we were travelling to Edinburgh to play them. Now I am getting a flight to Lyon to go and watch Clermont murder Edinburgh.  Strange but nice!
Let me tell you something cucumber

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Strange but Nice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »
Reminded me of when I was returning from Grand Cayman a couple of years ago, carrying a Wasps backpack. A lady on the same flight introduced herself and said that her grand daughter played for Wasps.
Good memories - let's hope they return, though I can only currently see it as part of a breakaway league as the idea of franchises went down like a lead balloon with the championship clubs. Not exactly a surprise, except to Mr Sweeny it would seem.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:54:33 AM »
Went over to Dublin to watch us play Leinster some years back. While walking to the RDS, bumped into Jonny Barrett (he had retired by then). Not sure if I've got this right but I think he went into the oil business. Long chat, great bloke.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 04:06:50 PM »
Picked up a striped branded beanie hat at the corporate/supporters pre match lunch at the Crowne Plaza with Leinster in 2007 - match at AP. Has Leinster and match date on it etc.

Been wearing it including on winter runs for many years.
Did the Army Orienteering event near Aldershot a couple of weekends ago with it on.

One guy, about a third my age goes steaming past at about three times my speed, and chanted "Once a wasp, always a wasp" - twice!

Didn't give me any time to make a response :-(

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:37:09 PM »
Take the win ? you managed to hear him chant it twice as he left you for dust. That means your hearing is in perfect working order.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 11:02:36 AM »
Sitting outside a cafe in Central Clermont in mild pleasant weather (for now) and a comment was made that - if this had been a Wasps match we would have seen bucket loads of Wasps supporters around by now. Seen precisely two Edinburgh badged fans. How the other league supports?
Also no Wasps travellers must impact places badly.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 05:36:36 PM »
Sitting outside a cafe in Central Clermont in mild pleasant weather (for now) and a comment was made that - if this had been a Wasps match we would have seen bucket loads of Wasps supporters around by now. Seen precisely two Edinburgh badged fans. How the other league supports?
Also no Wasps travellers must impact places badly.

Keep doing your bit! Enjoy the weekend, Clermont is very high on my grounds to do list.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 10:21:02 PM »
Great ground, lovely people, quite an atmosphere but not pleased Edinburgh put out a very weakened team. Deserved the scoreline. Realised we missed the hot wine days out!

Also the first time I have left a rugby match at 11pm. This I could do without.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
Great ground, lovely people, quite an atmosphere but not pleased Edinburgh put out a very weakened team. Deserved the scoreline. Realised we missed the hot wine days out!

Also the first time I have left a rugby match at 11pm. This I could do without.

It is disappointing to see weakened teams already, I was going to go to Tigers tomorrow to see some of the Stormers stars but they have left all of them at home ahead of La Rochelle next week so glad to give it a miss.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 12:11:33 AM »
Tigers are one club I would never give money to. One ground  I refuse to attend on principle for some while now.
Given the way their fans behaved towards us after we went down, if I am there it will be with a large incendiary device. Rugby family? Tigers' fans are living proof that the idea is an illusion.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »
Tigers are one club I would never give money to. One ground  I refuse to attend on principle for some while now.
Given the way their fans behaved towards us after we went down, if I am there it will be with a large incendiary device. Rugby family? Tigers' fans are living proof that the idea is an illusion.

I've had the opposite experience going there since we went down, always been supportive and welcoming, I know plenty of others did especially through the free tickets offer for the 3 Christmas games they did last year, guess like every family the rugby one has some variety of character!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 08:42:44 AM »
Yesterday I was pleased to go to a game and watch Leicester Tigers get destroyed.

OK it was a ladies match, but it still was a defeat for Leicester. :)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 11:25:08 AM »
We got on well with  Irish,  but the last time Tigers came to Coventry they brought an awful atmosphere with them .....  very very aggressive.  Most unpleasant and threatening.   They hadn't been like that previously.  It was like the worst  footie crowd.  Stewards were  verbally abused racially and sexually.  We disliked three quarters of Execeter (the other quarter were fine) as they also were verbally abusive and bullying; always wondered how they got their heads into the arena.    Irish were lovely.   

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 12:10:42 PM »
My family got abuse several times in Dublin earlier this year from Cheetahs fans. They were really horrible but all other teams fans were great. I seem to remember we had four wearing Wasps gear - I was in La Rochelle so got far more Leinster comments.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »
That?s Tigers fans for you isn?t it. I?ve always found a fair portion of them entitled and arrogant.