Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fat Bill tasered in Majorca  (Read 695 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Fat Bill tasered in Majorca
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:39:34 AM »
Many papers covering this. Had to be tasered twice to put him down.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fat Bill tasered in Majorca
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 08:42:32 AM »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 09:20:32 AM »
Many papers covering this. Had to be tasered twice to put him down.

Harder to put down in a bar than last time he wore an England shirt, it would seem.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 10:24:49 AM »
Some fairly ugly sides to Rugby this weekend - from players and fans alike.

Farrell lost his head with a couple of Bath fans on Friday (don't think it was captured on TV) after I assume was given some sh*t for carrying on play after looking back at Orlando Bailey (who was no more than 10 metres away) out cold on the floor, motionless with medics around him.  He was unusually rattled on Friday. 

To his credit though, he came round after the game having pictures with Bath and Saracens fans and was very gracious with his time - Jamie George and Sam Underhill also made a big post-game effort to sign autographs and take photos.

A bunch of Bath fans on a Stag Do drunkenly asking Ben Spencer for a picture just as he was being called back to the changing rooms by Bath backroom staff so politely said he had to go, they called out to him that he was a 'sh*t c**t' and Spencer (rightly) told them in no uncertain terms they won't be welcome back anytime soon.

It was a very edgy Saracens team out there.  Surprised Itoje got away with a Yellow - the tackle looked ok from the stands not far from where we were sat, but Alfie tends not to go down very easily.  Replays showed why!

Shame Finn wasn't back for Bath, think he'd have made the difference.  Bath really struggled to get any width on the ball.  Lawrence looked lively the handful of times he got the ball, but it rarely made it's way out more than 1-2 short passes.  Think Finn would have put some more width on play and stretched Saracens a bit more.

Moving on though, looking forward to Charlie vs Jacob (hopfefully) on Saturday.  Should be a good game and looking forward to a few ex-Wasps players.  First time at Kingsholm for me as well.

So far on our little on-the-road-tour of watching rugby post-Wasps, Bath and Saints have to be our favourite venues.  Still trying to work out getting out to see Toulouse and Pau play.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »

So far on our little on-the-road-tour of watching rugby post-Wasps, Bath and Saints have to be our favourite venues.  Still trying to work out getting out to see Toulouse and Pau play.

If the weather is fine, The Rec is comfortably the best place I have been to watch Premiership Rugby

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 01:37:39 PM »
If anyone's interested, here's the report in today's Telegraph.

Billy Vunipola was tasered and arrested in a Spanish bar in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The England and Saracens No 8 was held overnight by police and fined for disobedience and assaulting a police officer.
The incident took place in a bar in Palma called Epic, with extraordinary CCTV footage showing a topless, laughing Vunipola, 31, surrounded by officers and the bar?s security after the area was cleared by police.
Vunipola played for Saracens on Friday night and was in Majorca as part of a team social for players and management because Saracens have a week off given that they are not part of this coming weekend?s European semi-finals.
Vunipola, who is 6ft 2in and weighs more than 20 stone, required a second taser volt in order to be handcuffed by eight police officers at around 4.30am on Sunday morning, after the first volt hit his wallet. He was later taken to nearby Son Espases Hospital where he was reportedly sedated and bound to his bed surrounded by hospital guards and police officers.
Vunipola: ?Unfortunate misunderstanding?
A spokesman for the National Police of Majorca stated that ?security staff were unable to restrain him or remove him from the premises?, which led to police being called before Vunipola ?pushed and slapped an officer?.
In a statement released on Monday, Vunipola said: ?I can confirm I was involved in an unfortunate misunderstanding when I was leaving a club in Mallorca on Sunday, which got out of hand. Contrary to media reports, there was no violence, no fight and I did not threaten anybody at any stage, with bottles or chairs or anything else. I was charged with resisting the law and, following an ?express trial, I have paid a fine of ?240. The Spanish police investigation is now closed, and I am flying back to the UK today. I will obviously cooperate with the Saracens internal process and unreservedly apologise for any inconvenience to all involved.?
Bar owner: ?Situation was getting tense?
The bar?s owner, Toni Rocha, praised the police and his doormen for dealing with a ?very difficult? and ?very tense? situation, while backing up Vunipola?s statement that there was no violence and denying that Vunipola had threatened customers and staff with bottles and chairs.
Rocha said that Vunipola had arrived at the bar at around 3am with another player which Telegraph Sport believes to be prop Marco Riccioni.
?It was just Billy and his friend but when they ordered the first round they asked for six Amarettos with orange juice and freshly squeezed lime,? Rocha said. ?I know because I served them. I?m pretty sure they drank them between the two of them, with Billy having four and the friend the other two.
?The friend was fine but Billy started becoming a problem as he became drunker. I had to ask him to put his top on at one point when he took it off while he was at the bar.
?He didn?t threaten customers or staff with bottles or bar stalls or anything like that but he was annoying other customers by pushing them, not in a violent way, but elbowing them and bothering them.
?He put his shirt on when I asked him to first time round. His friend who was co-operative at all times helped him put it back on. But then he took it off a second time and then a third and we decided to call police.
?I?d already got the doormen involved to try to get him to leave and his friend was assisting us but there was just no way we could get him to abandon the premises and the situation was becoming very tense and we saw we were going to have a problem if we tried to use physical force to get him out. I warned his friend I was going to call police and he said: ?Do what you have to do.?
?We thought he was going to calm down when he saw uniformed officers arrive but when the first police appeared on the scene he confronted them and they had to call for back-up.
?It was around 4am and we still had more than an hour left before we were supposed to close. When the back-up arrived the police told us to clear the bar, put the lights on and cut the music.
?The rugby player reacted by confronting the officers when they went to talk to him and insult them. I heard him saying ?f------ cops?. He also hit one of them with his shirt in his hand.
?They tried to get him out and couldn?t until they tasered him. He laughed the first time they went to taser him, it was like a film, and I heard the words ?Another one? and the second time round he fell to the ground and the officers immobilised him and put wrist-ties on him.?
Summing up the incident, Rocha added: ?It could have turned out very different and ended very badly because we were dealing with a strong man who was very drunk and was acting inappropriately and refusing requests for him to leave. We felt things could have got broken or he could have assaulted someone if we tried to force him out.
?I didn?t feel frightened, it was more a feeling of impotence that we couldn?t get him to abandon the premises. But some clients, especially women clients, were feeling frightened and very uncomfortable.?
Police: Second taser shot ?did the job?
The full statement from a police spokesman read: ?In the early hours of [Sunday] morning, at 4.30am, we arrested a 31-year-old foreign man on suspicion of a crime of disobedience and assaulting a police officer.
?The events took place in a leisure establishment on the seafront in Palma, when a man was causing altercations inside the establishment.
?The man would not listen to reason and confronted the rest of the customers, and the security staff were unable to restrain him or remove him from the premises.
?The police were alerted and the officers, on seeing the man, who was shirtless and making gestures with his hands, cleared the premises. It was then that he confronted the police and attempted to assault the officers.
?The police officers tried at all times to get him to calm down, but the man would not listen to reason. At that moment, the man pushed and slapped an officer and a policeman pulled out his electric stun gun and fired a first time although the gun didn?t discharge.
?It hit him in his wallet which meant it didn?t discharge as it hadn?t hit his muscles. The two prongs have to land on someone?s body to send out electricity and because the wallet got in the way the stun gun didn?t discharge.
?A second projectile was then fired, which did the job, and it was then that the officers jumped on him and proceeded to immobilise him by shackling him, later taking him to Son Espases hospital for assessment and arrest.
?[On Sunday] afternoon he was taken to court and released on bail pending an ongoing investigation.?
Saracens: ?We?ll deal with this?
Vunipola, 31, was born in Australia to Tongan parents, moved to Wales when he was a child and won a scholarship to Harrow School. He started his professional career with Wasps before moving to Saracens.
The last of his 75 caps for England was in the Rugby World Cup semi-final defeat bv South Africa last year, but he was not selected for Steve Borthwick?s squad for this year?s Six Nations.
Vunipola is widely expected to leave Saracens for Montpellier next season. That move will effectively end any hopes of an international recall, because England players based overseas are ineligible for the national team.
Saracens said in a statement: ?Saracens is aware of an incident involving Billy Vunipola in Majorca. We will of course deal with this incident internally, and will not make any further comment until then.?
Billy Vunipola?s battles with alcohol and the ?what if? hanging over his career
By Ben Coles
Billy Vunipola has admirably never held back from openly discussing his personal battles, publicly addressing his relationships with alcohol and mental health throughout a career which saw him make his international debut for England at 20 years old and become one of the best No 8s in the world, while also battling a torrid run of injuries.
This latest incident in Majorca, however, is by far the most serious, both in terms of the ramifications ? being arrested in a foreign country for the first time ? but also the wider context of this current stage of his career at the age of 31, about to depart the club which has become his home for more than a decade in Saracens with his England career also seemingly behind him.
Vunipola went through a 15-month gap between Test matches after being dropped by Eddie Jones following the 2021 Six Nations, before returning for the 2022 tour to Australia off the back of his form for Saracens. During that spell, he spoke with a therapist for seven months.
?It took me so long to get to that stage because I felt like I was indestructible until I got all my injuries,? he told World Rugby last year, having undergone knee surgeries and three fractured forearms.
?I felt like God broke me down because I was too arrogant, too confident in my own powers and I didn?t rely on God enough, which I didn?t. I needed someone to challenge me and take me away from that feeling you carry.
?Some people after big injuries aren?t the same player. Now I feel like I?m back to just doing it and the next stage is the instincts, believing in myself. It?s a tough balance between being confident and arrogant and I was probably too far on the arrogant side.?
Vunipola also noted the importance of Calum Clark at his club, the former Saracens player who works as a performance psychologist.
In a podcast episode with former Saracens team-mate Jim Hamilton last year, Vunipola revealed that he first started drinking at the age of 25 following his first knee operation.
He said: ?I went from not drinking my whole life to getting my first serious injury... and thinking I?m gonna start drinking. Just before that I broke up with my now wife and I don?t know, I was just going through a weird phase of just wanting to be that 20-year-old who never got to be a 20-year-old. It sounds silly, but I never did that.
?Fresh out of school I was playing for Wasps, on the brink of getting relegated. Even at 17, I played my first game in the Prem, so I never got to just be a kid. It sounds ungrateful but I did it at 25 in the middle of my career. It?s no coincidence that all my injuries happened when I went on a bender essentially for 10 months before I went crawling back to my wife.?
He apologised to his England team-mates during the 2019 Six Nations after returning late to the team?s hotel in Chiswick and breaking team protocol, following an alcohol-fuelled night out with former England centre Ben Te?o.
That incident came shortly after Vunipola had told The Times in November 2018 that he had stopped drinking, following a serious conversation during the summer from his family, including his brother, Mako, the Saracens and England prop.
?I had a lecture off my mum and dad, and my brother, and I finally listened to them. I?ve stopped drinking,? he said at the time.
In 2017 after England won the Six Nations, a dishevelled Vunipola was pictured being helped out of a Dublin hotel at 4.30am by a member of England?s security team, an image which was met with an almost positive reaction at the time with England?s players letting off some steam after a second straight Six Nations title.
?I don?t have any memory of that,? Vunipola said in 2019, reflecting on that moment. ?All I know is that I am not getting in that state ever again.
?I have learnt from that, it?s a learning curve. I didn?t realise until the day after. It wasn?t a great time for myself, but hopefully I won?t do that to my family again. You?ve got to have some control of yourself and I probably didn?t.
?I guess I did [say I was teetotal] but you have to own the situation. It?s funny to talk about now, but at the time it wasn?t that funny.?
Now, seven years later, an incident at a similar time in the morning raises serious questions about what happens next for Vunipola. Most importantly in terms of his personal well-being and even though the legal ramifications have been quickly resolved with an express trial and small fine. His career is at a crucial crossroads; no longer an automatic starter at Saracens with the progress of Ben Earl and arrival of Tom Willis, on the cusp of leaving the club who have helped to nurture him into a world-class player for a new team in a new country and with the door to playing for England again seemingly shut.
Despite having heard from Vunipola and the bar?s owner that there was no violence and accounting for Vunipola?s swift apology, this is still a concerning incident.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 02:28:05 PM »

If the weather is fine, The Rec is comfortably the best place I have been to watch Premiership Rugby

IF - seem to remember Wasps always attracted wetness!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 04:59:24 PM »
"The first taser hit his wallet"

Hilarious, only a Sarries players wallet would be so stuffed with cash it would stop a tasering!