Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Leicester appoint new defence coach... Probably  (Read 1981 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Leicester appoint new defence coach... Probably
« on: January 05, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
I haven't seen an official statement, but Phil Blake is at the Tigers game wearing an official Leicester coat

So after an extensive search for a new defence coach, Leicester find that the best person available at the moment is Phil Blake...... The very person we got rid of last season.

Maybe that does explain why Wasps haven't been able to find anyone of sufficiently good quality mid season

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester appoint new defence coach... Probably
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
I don't think it was that he was a poor defence coach, just that his system didn't gel with our attack.

Now of course we don't have an attack... ;)
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester appoint new defence coach... Probably
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
I agree. I'm sure he's not a poor defence coach. His record prior to his ban suggests that he's very good, but as you say, his system didn't work with us.

You'd think that a very good defence coach would have multiple systems and can adapt to different skills and scenarios - the same as we would expect an attack coach to be able to adapt their styles to suit the players.

There's lots of talk on DW that we should just go out and get a great defence coach.NOW.
I think that this appointment after interviewing a number of people suggests that there just aren't many good coaches available at this time.

As an aside, in football, a new manager often brings their own team in who have all worked together previously. It means that the entire coaching team know each other, know they can work together and know their systems work together.
It rarely happens in rugby and maybe it's something that would be a benefit.... Albeit that it takes time to develop that kind of team.