Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nathan and WLR Officially Leaving  (Read 3061 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nathan and WLR Officially Leaving
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm vaguely encouraged that Stuart isn't listed there.

We were expecting WLR I think, and Hughes too, to a large extent. I think if we can get Jack Willis, Thomas Young and Nizzam Carr as a 6/7/8 combo, we'll be OK.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
Nathan is now announced as having signed a 3 year contract with Briz. Pat Lam is of course a fellow Pacific islander. He's never hidden the fact that he's in it to support his family, so presumably Briz waved a big wedge of cash which we couldn't match. Hope it works out for him. I assume he has a get out clause should they get relegated, whether this season or another.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »
I think we will miss Willie, but not Nathan to the same extent. Hope Pat can help him regather some form down there. One of the better signings Briz could make to be honest.

Here's looking for some news at 15 soon, Jacob perhaps?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
A shame but inevitable, out of the two I would have liked WLR to stay more. Bristol must be close to the salary cap, however George Smith will probably be off and he won't be cheap (regardless of age). I think WLR was a given, Japan and the money available to him will be his destination I guess. Good to see that further departures have not been announced, and nothing on ED. I am hoping this is countered by significant signings, and by significant I mean solid for the future direction of travel and not just 'brand names'.

Agree on the point regarding the back row; Shields, Young, Carr, Willis are pretty formidable options and not to be frowned upon.

Full back is now a worry, as our current #2 is not good enough. I would like to see a good solid signing with Umaga becoming the natural #2.
It was fine when I left it.....

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
No mention of Elliott or Joe....
Another announcement later on after some more re-signing or signings???

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
I feel that it will be drip feed fortnight. In, out, in, out, shake it all about.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
I would have thought (and hoped) the club would get the main bad news out in one big announcement. Seems strange given all the heavy rumours that they haven't done so. If Elliot is to be announced later then there is going to have to be some heavy presentation of good news beforehand.
I am on the side of if they are off then good luck but now prepare ourselves with the players we have instead. Full back a slight problem with that attitude. At least WLR is here for the whole season. If Hughes is picked by Jones then he is away for almost 2 months and is likely to be hurt in some form.
Good players have left before and will in the future. The club is what we support.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
Although we knew it was going to happen, still feels like a kick deep in the stomach.  However, best of luck to the both of them and thanks for what they have given to Wasps in the meantime.

We still have options in the back line which include Shields, Young, Johnson, Carr, Willis (X2) and Rieder with back up from Atkinson and morriss who've both looked decent.  The number 8 position specifically looks slightly light depending on Rieder coming back but I'm happy with our options and would no way be happy with blasting £500k of salary cap at Nathan.

Full back is lighter which is a disappointment but Dai has said where necessary we will recruit so I guess we wait and see.

It does feel like a slow and painful torture and what we don't know is where we will sit once the dust has settled

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
It is slightly frustrating that he is signing for 3yrs at Briz and we only ever seen to be signing players for 1-2 years. Is there a reason for this, i.e. Dai not wanting to be nailed down with big earners on long contracts?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
Well Nathan will have been with us for 6 years when he leaves. Is that 2 x 3 year contracts or 3 x 2 year contracts?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
It is slightly frustrating that he is signing for 3yrs at Briz and we only ever seen to be signing players for 1-2 years. Is there a reason for this, i.e. Dai not wanting to be nailed down with big earners on long contracts?

Simples - shed loads of Wonga.