Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Stuart Confirmed at Bath  (Read 6256 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Stuart Confirmed at Bath
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bath-rugby-four-new-signings-2441529

Interesting comments, so not just about geography.....

Stuart said: “There is a great deal of emphasis placed on developing young players at the club, which was fundamental in my decision to move to Bath.

"I feel there is no better place for me to learn and I have no doubt that I can make big strides forward as a player.” 
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart Confirmed at Bath
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:19:46 PM »
Bit of a dig there. He was no longer an Academy player with us either, so he would be a main squad player in training at both clubs. What would be the difference as he is a 'young' player?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
It may be a personality thing, perhaps Dai was not on the same wavelength and he felt Blackadder (cue the humour) was a better option....I agree it felt like a dig!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
Perhaps, or it could just be some nice things to say about Bath other than "Well they offered me a big wedge of cash."

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
But he could equally have mentioned geographical factors or support for the club or similar, which would give him great credit in the eyes of fans. "I have wanted to play for them forever" goes down well as it means "I am one of you". I guess he has to say something positive, but it is a tiny hint of a dig. Perhaps.
Plenty of good reasons to go to Bath, of course. Mine would be Cheddar Valley cider (et al.) and probably a sub-conscious desire to be an Austenian character.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
I think the draw of playing alongside Lord Percy and Baldrick every week was an offer he couldn't refuse. ;) Oh and double the salary...I wish him well, and fully expect to see him pushing the England door open in the future.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:38:03 PM »
Who are the top level young players that bath have brought through in the last couple of years?

This is a genuine question because I'm not that up on Bath's wider squad

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:18:42 AM »
Who are the top level young players that bath have brought through in the last couple of years?

This is a genuine question because I'm not that up on Bath's wider squad

I was thinking that, the only forwards I could see on their website currently who came through their academy seem to be Catt and Dunn.
 The obvious answer Zach Mercer gets a QI style buzzer as from Glasgow Academy!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
Mercer was definitely poached but undoubtedly given his chance early enough at Bath.
Ewells has come on really well as well as other promising youngsters like Ellis, Baylor’s and Douglass being given good game time.

Same with the backs with Atkins and all those backs called Max who have been trusted.

Does sound like a dig but Stuart arguably has had a really good amount of game time compared to West, James and Umaga so not quite sure what he’d have to complain about.
Unfortunately I can never envisage Dai giving a Darren Atkins regular game time at FB

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
Mercer was definitely poached but undoubtedly given his chance early enough at Bath.
Ewells has come on really well as well as other promising youngsters like Ellis, Baylor’s and Douglass being given good game time.

Same with the backs with Atkins and all those backs called Max who have been trusted.

Does sound like a dig but Stuart arguably has had a really good amount of game time compared to West, James and Umaga so not quite sure what he’d have to complain about.
Unfortunately I can never envisage Dai giving a Darren Atkins regular game time at FB

We've trusted Tom Willis, and West, but through injury requirements, Bath seem to have been in the same position with injuries in the backs if I recall correctly? Stuart seemingly forced his way into recognition without injury requiring it.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 02:22:07 PM »
Stuart said: “There is a great deal of emphasis placed on developing young players at the club, which was fundamental in my decision to move to Bath.

Stuart thinks: "That pay rise will come in handy."
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Agree Raggs, Stuart showed that PDJ did not need to be replaced as has been pushing well this season. Probably still not in the 23 when JCW and Brookes are fit but could push one out if Dai picks on form.
Huge loss but not sure what else we could have done to keep him in this situation, as Dai did like him and he had had the game time, it just seems like if he is from that way, supported them as a lad and Bath potentially have offered him a good deal then good luck to him.

Hopefully gives Dai a little reminder though that the likes of west, porter, oghre Umaga will need to be carefully managed as they will not be short of offers and game time somewhere else

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
Hopefully gives Dai a little reminder though that the likes of west, porter, oghre Umaga will need to be carefully managed as they will not be short of offers and game time somewhere else

Fine Margins. Very difficult to keep everybody happy when players above you in the pecking order stay fit. The nature of the Prem, particularly this season, means that testing players at the highest level is a risky option for the club. As far as I know, our A games results have been pretty disastrous.
Frustrating as it is, I hope most up and coming young players realise this. Of course if other clubs wave large cheques at and promise more game time to young ambitious players, then it must be very difficult to turn them down.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

maire23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »

We've trusted Tom Willis, and West, but through injury requirements, Bath seem to have been in the same position with injuries in the backs if I recall correctly? Stuart seemingly forced his way into recognition without injury requiring it.

Errrrm yes okay- I wouldn’t say 16 minutes of play in an entire season (yes I was counting, yes I know it’s sad and I make no apologies) is being ‘trusted’ as far as West is concerned!!
I’m not Will Stuart’s biggest fan but I have to admit he’s got a point. A very good point. As I said on DW I’m really surprised that it’s him doing off and not his mate West.
I feel really sorry for Tom (West) because having seen how hard he worked at Nottingham and was pretty much first choice prop there he comes back to Wasps and is promptly completely forgotten about. I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted game time elsewhere.
Same goes for all those other young players- as it’s been repeatedly pointed out they aren’t going to win big matches but sure who knows that if they aren’t given a chance? It frustrates me to read the posts that say ‘they should be grateful for A League and Prem Cup games’ but why? It’s no sort of competition for them.

I appreciate what’s being said above that it’s very difficult to keep everyone happy when more senior players are fit but it’s when the team are down to the bare bones in one position and the more senior player on the pitch is left on even after being injured rather than- heaven forbid- bring on someone less experienced to have a go or even let the less experienced player have a go first and give the more experienced player a break that is just a bit annoying.
I might sound like a stuck record but as you can probably all tell it’s something that frustrates me hugely.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »
Dai's track record in developing younger players is not good. The only one that I can think of that has had a fair crack is Josh. Must have been at Wasps for 6 years now. Initially in the academy, but now firmly on the teamsheet.

I would like to know how many he has lost and that are now cutting it at senior and international level.

From memory, Williams, Hepburn, Lozowski, Holmes, O'Connor......