Always a Wasp

Author Topic: American football throw  (Read 5302 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
American football throw
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
Just wondering why we don't see more overhead, one handed throws like in American football. Not all the time, but it seems more suited to those attempts at long passes when there isn't immediate threat of a tackle.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: American football throw
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
I'm guessing there's a good reason for this.. as well as why don't american players simply pass it to each to other players to go forward.. perhaps its because they are completely different sports with different rules?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »
I think American footballs are pointier than rugby balls, making them more aerodynamic and therefore easier to pass one handed. However I could be wildly out on this  :-\
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:17:12 AM »
I think you are right Ross. Read in the Wade interview that the balls were smaller which makes it challenging for rugby players to transition.

I guess a smaller ball would be easier to control one handed. :-\

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
The ball is indeed a different although similar shape.

However, I think it's also to do with body position.
A rugby player should be running towards the opposition line keeping the opposition guessing as to what he's going to do so as to commit his man..
This will come down to body position, ball on 2 hands etc.

To throw the ball out long to the right winger with an NFL style pass, it would require the ball carrier (who is likely right handed) to completely turn his body to the right, so that he's facing where he wants to throw it.

Not only does that take time, and allow the defence to reorganize because they can see where you're aiming, but it leaves the ball carrier hugely exposed to big hits to their side/backs

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
I agree with Wasps, it's about body position I suspect.  Though the fact that you are allowed to throw forwards in American Football probably makes a difference.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
Those supporters who can remember Gareth Rees, will remember his occasional American football style pass across the pitch

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:21 AM »
The team I played in at school acquired an American quarterback (I just looked him up on Google, and he is pretty well known now as a (sports) doctor in the USA; Dike Drummond https://www.thehappymd.com/about ) and he more than once tossed the (rugby) ball across the pitch to the opposite wing. It went backwards, he had time to do it, and it went to hand. He played second row for us, I seem to recall, or was it back row? Too long ago.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »
Those supporters who can remember Gareth Rees, will remember his occasional American football style pass across the pitch

Beat me to it Paul, I seem to recall it being used to good effect on several occasions.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
At school our hooker was also a Quarterback and could launch the ball most of the way across the pitch...very handy for lineouts close to the line (either end) as he would just throw the ball to our winger or centres.  We got out of jail and scored a bucket load of tries that way.  We were never sure it was a legal throw in, but as nobody picked us up on it, we carried on.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »

Being pedantic, in Fat Boy's case that would be a Canadian football style pass :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »
Being an old school front rower (42) I still throw into the lineout one handed as was the style then much to the astonishment and disbelief of the young lads in the team in play in!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:54:24 PM »
Being even an older school front rower (71), I never threw into the lineout, it was always the winger. In some games that was the only time he touched the ball :D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »
Thanks, interesting.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
In the late 60s I was a winger and had to throw in.

Completely different in those days as there were no jumpers, and the throw-in was done from a side-on stance.

My first match for Wasps (not first team as you will gather) I had to play at scrum half, as the usual one didn't turn up. Never played there before. Halfway through the first half the hooker came to me and said put it in from the other f*****g side. I hadn't realised about the position of the hooker in the front row.