Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The other site  (Read 11885 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The other site
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »
Who gets to decide what is a valid topic?

The reader. Also, to some extent, who are the poster(s). Sometimes when I saw certain posters get involved in a thread, I didn't bother reading any further. I knew what they were going to say and I knew how they were going to say it.

Totally agree. Everyone has opinions - good but some seem to re-jig their comments to suit different threads. Always think a short pithy submission is better than a diatribe.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
Is now open.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
I am sure it would never have been down if Dai had kept Danny :)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »
Hi all, finally decided to come on this site as i needed my injection of wasps talk more frequently then the other site allowed. Lets hope of some positive news as we have only won 1 cup match all season COYW

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 02:56:45 PM »
Yep, with the recent activity on here I haven't felt the need to go there. I did open it by accident a week or so ago and saw a Dai out thread, which made me close it again! I know everyone has a view and all that, just don't want to get drawn into that sort of debate, life's too short.

But why not have a Dai Out? discussion? The thread title is a question not a statement and it led to some healthy discussion based around a run of poor performances and results.

You should have a read because it isn't a single sided rant. Lots (the majority?) Came down on the side of Dai unsurprisingly. There are posts and viewpoints I don't agree with but I bet I wouldn't agree with Dai all of the time.

I respect your decision not to participate but I did, and I said Dai just needs to sort his coaching team as a matter of priority but he is the man to take us forward.

Who gets to decide what is a valid topic?
For me discussion and debate is fine. For the Dai out thread, my problem is the logic (or lack of) supporting why the question needs to be raised in the first place. The challenges are there for all to see, by raising the question your ignoring the obvious. I get enough of that from the missus talking about her emotions.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
I actually enjoyed the interaction with Sarries' supporters, for the most part. I have gone onto their board and been both welcomed and disagreed with, which is a good sign. There will always be the odd person to avoid, but I found that their more recent contributions have been fine. Back in the era of the cap-break, perhaps less so.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »
A new article has been posted to reopen the site, yet I still only see the Wombles match preview on the home page????

I've tried clearing cache memory/search history etc.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
Nothing to get excited about.  It's just a copy and paste job of the club's announcement (without the video) about the signing of Fekitoa.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
I personally prefer this site, it feels a much better environment here. Thank you VV  :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
+1. Just taken up from where it left off.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »
VV, I respect your ideological standpoint vs SportNetwork but as a mod, do you see any compromise that would help keep the site going? Would the above work? DW has long since lost its charity-driven charter and is now just a simple message board.

Hi Gaz,

I am a professional digital marketer by trade so spend a lot of time considering things like Search Engine Optimisation, and how to use content to improve a site.  The issue with simply reposting an article from the offy, and indeed the reason I won't do that, is that duplicate content hurts both sites in the eyes of search engines.  I don't really care about the ranking of DW, most people that visit use a bookmarked link anyway.  But I don't want to be party to an action I know damages the online reputation of the site that belongs to the club I love.

That being said, I am very happy to post articles written by other people on their behalf.  I am happy to edit if needs be and make it work that way.  I'm just not willing to do all the work to keep a site going that offers me no reward either fiscally, or emotionally.

This place doesn't reward me financially - it might one day, but I doubt that very much.  But I have a fairly good idea how much money the owners of Sports Network make from the place, and it staggers me.  I also don't really like the atmosphere there right now.  It used to be a nice place with balanced, if sometimes heated discussion.  Now it is extreme views shouted at people, and personal insults when other's disagree.

I'm actually proud of this place.  The people who have moved across seem to grasp the idea that we can disagree on our opinions without actually fighting.  That's what a discussion forum is for.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
I also appreciate the fact that I do not get bombarded with adverts on this site! Well done Martin.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:05 AM »
I also appreciate the fact that I do not get bombarded with adverts on this site! Well done Martin.

I don't get bombarded by adverts on either site but I'm guessing that's all related to what network device you're using (Phone - Android, Computer/Laptop - Windows or an Apple product - iOS) and also what browser software you use

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:40 AM »
In light of recent events, I'd like to retract my defence of alternative opinion and suggest that DW is best avoided for a day or two!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
In light of recent events, I'd like to retract my defence of alternative opinion and suggest that DW is best avoided for a day or two!

In their defence (and I include myself in that), 15 defeats in 22 games does not make good reading. The fact that so many of those games have been lost by common causes - missed tackles, poor handling skills, try scoring opportunities butchered etc. - and the lack of any credible messages coming from management as to why, it is very easy to understand the frustration of our supporters.

It is not rocket science. It is all about addressing the fundamentals, some of which IMHO, have been a common theme for a number of years.

Leadership is so important, on and off the pitch. Listen to Rob Baxter and Mark McCall. They have visions and structures in place to deliver them. We, sadly, are light years away.