Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The other site  (Read 13127 times)

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The other site
« on: January 23, 2019, 09:43:06 AM »
Hi is anyone else having trouble with the other web-site I've tried to get on there since Fri and it just says it is being updated, missing the barbed comments! :(

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The other site
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »
It goes down whenever it hits 2 weeks without someone writing an article for it.  I used to write articles all the time to keep it alive, but then I realised how much money that was making Sports Network and how little of it came to the charity of our chosing for our share.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
It is not you. The site shuts down without a new story every two weeks, I believe. Others know better.

There is a little lack of civility by some there, especially a few of the anti Dai cause.  That said some here see attacks on Dai even where there are none. It is easy to misinterpret comments- I myself recently made a comment that as long as we keep trying to play as we have thus far under Dai I will be happy, which was taken to mean that I believe we won't, which was not my meaning. Without the subtle intonations of speech the written word can sometimes fail to convey meaning. Such is the sensitivity of the issue people are so keen to defend Dai they can sometimes defend him from neutral and even positive comments. Perhaps it is understandable given the attacks, perhaps not. Who you are makes a difference too, Rob Smith recently made comments about the club implying a degree of failure post 18 in the case of Stewart et al, and I am pretty sure had the same comments been made by other DW posters they would have been shot down in flames.

I think the key, as noted elsewhere by other contributors, is to have the kind of discussion you would have with a pint of cider at hand, and to avoid the whole "X knows better because X is a pro" arguments, because they fall flat on their arse when another pro comes up with different opinions to X, and the forum of fans is for, well,  fans. 

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »
Hi is anyone else having trouble with the other web-site I've tried to get on there since Fri and it just says it is being updated, missing the barbed comments! :(

I think its been down for over a week but TBH I don't actually miss it. As VV says (I think he's an admin on that site too) its the lack of articles written.

A lot of users probably don't even realise or know what "articles" are as I guess most people have a bookmark or favourite link straight to the list of topics/threads and not the the main Wasps front page on the SportNetwork site.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »
Not missed - but still check occasionally. Do note that the Saints Board have noticed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
Can't say I miss it. Recently I only dropped in to read the occasional thread. Most of them (despite the varied titles) ended up arguing about the same things by the same posters.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
I never understand why the 'teams up' posts can't be posted as articles. That would keep the site alive. Seems like a simple solution. I have no visibility of the admin overhead but I would have thought that would take a few minutes every Friday lunchtime, a rota shared between mods would reduce that even further?

VV, I respect your ideological standpoint vs SportNetwork but as a mod, do you see any compromise that would help keep the site going? Would the above work? DW has long since lost its charity-driven charter and is now just a simple message board.

There are too many people that see DW in two shades, black or white, negative or positive. Reminds me of the b*ex*t argument in some ways!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
The Hairy Ones have largely left SportsNetwork and opened a new board similar to this one. The last 'article', actually about Christian Wade, is dated Nov 28th. How does that stay open?
Shedloads, Glaws site on SportsNetwork, seems to consist of one member! He/she does write 'articles' and opens threads which no one seems to add to. Very solitary existence.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
I signed up here when it opened (thanks VV) but it is the recent prolonged shutdown of the DW site that has brought me here as a regular reader and now contributor. Bit of a double edged sword, I won't miss the Saracens internet police guarding against any negative word said about them, but will miss the ease with which supporters of other teams could interact with us (including some of those self same Sarries posters, oh the inconsistency).

Just checked, isn't our last article the Oct 5th match preview vs Gloucester written by Wombles? Certainly the last one that shows when I load the front page.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:28:38 AM by Lwasp »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »
Yep, with the recent activity on here I haven't felt the need to go there. I did open it by accident a week or so ago and saw a Dai out thread, which made me close it again! I know everyone has a view and all that, just don't want to get drawn into that sort of debate, life's too short.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
I'm not missing it in the slightest. Despite the brave attempts of some to introduce rationality and reason on there the deluge of negativity with which they are met has left me without interest. Sad that it comes to that. I'm happy to be disagreed with but at least have some meaningful evidence to back your position up OR take ownership that it is a feeling/opinion not an informed position.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »
Yep, with the recent activity on here I haven't felt the need to go there. I did open it by accident a week or so ago and saw a Dai out thread, which made me close it again! I know everyone has a view and all that, just don't want to get drawn into that sort of debate, life's too short.

But why not have a Dai Out? discussion? The thread title is a question not a statement and it led to some healthy discussion based around a run of poor performances and results.

You should have a read because it isn't a single sided rant. Lots (the majority?) Came down on the side of Dai unsurprisingly. There are posts and viewpoints I don't agree with but I bet I wouldn't agree with Dai all of the time.

I respect your decision not to participate but I did, and I said Dai just needs to sort his coaching team as a matter of priority but he is the man to take us forward.

Who gets to decide what is a valid topic?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
Who gets to decide what is a valid topic?

The reader. Also, to some extent, who are the poster(s). Sometimes when I saw certain posters get involved in a thread, I didn't bother reading any further. I knew what they were going to say and I knew how they were going to say it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:05:37 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
I think that is a very valid approach. I usually end up doing it the other way round - see a post, decide to challenge it but then check who posted it before concluding life is too short!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Yep Gaz, fair enough. I am not surprised there would be a weight in support and would hope there is an understanding of not least the rotten luck in the pre-season. I guess the title just put me off. I am in this for enjoyment and with the run of bad results I didn't need to wind myself up further, so went with the Ross approach!

So to sum up, I have not exactly boycotted the old site, just haven't needed or felt inclined to go there to get my fix.