Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Quins broke the cap last year  (Read 3610 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Quins broke the cap last year
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
Not dissimilar to our ‘overrun’.
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
Don't have any issues with a club putting their hand up and saying they got it wrong and taking the consequences.

I suspect when the legal bill for challenging it is lower than the fine the problems start...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
Yes, this is not off the record payments to family type cheating. This is an accounting issue.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/neilfissler/status/1092876170247524353?s=19

Fissler hinting that another club are being investigated.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Danny Care said something about Sarries and the cap on the BBC Rugby podcast. It went along the lines of 'Lewington, Farrel, Barrit, Williams, Goode, Daly. There have to be questions on how they stay below the cap.' That list is just the backs,  you have to wonder.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
Spencer has had a lot of interest, I'm sure tomkins will have too, loz probably wasn't very cheap. Wigglesworth will command a half decent salary too.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
Why wouldn't they cheat the cap? They did before and it wasn't a problem.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 09:05:51 AM »
Re: Quins, it can't be considered cheating when you have to guess what credits you may or may not get for England international appearances.  I wonder if Marler retiring didn't help them very much. I think we were caught out owing to injuries to Hughes, Taylor and Haskell.

As for Sarries, I can't see how they manage it.  They won't have been getting credits for Billy for quite a while and the squad is littered with experienced test quality players.  You can't tell me that Daly (or any other player) would move into an area with a much higher cost of living and also take a pay cut...  I wonder if sometimes it is just jealousy on my part but ignoring academy and squad players, I can't see how you amass a squad of players at the level Sarries have and pay the going rate in salary.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
As I've stated, the rumour mill has Farrell and Itoje as the two highest EQP players in the country, so apparently their own academy products aren't too interested in taking pay cuts to play for Sarries.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
Fissler is normally spot on, he isn't using the word overrun either. I am guessing Saracens may be a way over the number. The next 24 hours should be interesting, as if the previous two weeks haven't been  ;) It could be what they are excluding from the cumulative pot which is the issue.
It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
I wonder if a club is allowed to loan players money? Or have a financial branch that can do so?

A 20 year, 0% interest, business loan, to help them start their own business, could be a sizeable draw. We often hear a lot about Sarries players starting their own businesses, even the lesser known ones.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »
I wonder if a club is allowed to loan players money? Or have a financial branch that can do so?

A 20 year, 0% interest, business loan, to help them start their own business, could be a sizeable draw. We often hear a lot about Sarries players starting their own businesses, even the lesser known ones.

How would this be viewed by HMRC?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »

No idea. There's tons of potential possibilities I suspect though, free book keeping, free business advice, free marketing advice etc etc. How would premiership rugby check that, value that, etc etc?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »

No idea. There's tons of potential possibilities I suspect though, free book keeping, free business advice, free marketing advice etc etc. How would premiership rugby check that, value that, etc etc?

Premiership rugby may not be able (easily) to check or value that but HMRC certainly could and would. They could make things very uncomfortable for whoever accepted such benefits and did not declare them. There is nothing free in HMRC world. Everything has a value and should be taxed accordingly.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!