Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Do we think that Thomas Young now goes?  (Read 5858 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Do we think that Thomas Young now goes?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »
It's a tough call for him but if he has serious international ambitions he's got to move at the end of his current contract. That he's gettingselected despite not being in Walesand with their backrow strengths, suggests to me they rate him highly enough forthe risk of moving to be worth taking.

Unfortunately, I think I agree with this.

There's a definite chance that once everyone is back from injury he won't get selected.
But, if he stays in England, he definitely won't get selected post World Cup.

So, it's a 50/50 call v's a 0% call.

If he really wants to be playing for Wales, he has to take the chance.
Besides, what would he be losing out on?
I doubt he really wants to be playing for his dad forever. Would his salary be particularly lower in Wales?
Wales is a nice part of the World, and afterall, he is Welsh.

What downsides are there for him?
He'll be moving away from friends at Wasps and in Coventry in general.
But, he's bound to have friends from age grade who play for each of the Welsh regions, and will have other friends in the country too.

I just can't see many reasons why he'd want to stay unfortunately :(

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »
I think Frances extended his contract rather than renewing it. Not sure what the difference is.

Extending means on the same terms (especially money). New (renewing) a contract means (potentially) more money. Doing the latter means you have to be playing in Wales in order to be picked (unless you have a lot of caps).

I've been thinking about this.  I got a pay rise a little while ago, and my existing contract of employment was simply amended.  So within the letter of the law I suspect we could easily find a way around that particular clause.  But if the WRU decided it is against the spirit of the law then they wouldn't pick him anyway.

I suspect he'll be off, and I'll be really annoyed about it if he is.  Just like Beale being persuaded to leave by Cheika, it just doesn't feel right...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »
It's a tough call for him but if he has serious international ambitions he's got to move at the end of his current contract. That he's gettingselected despite not being in Walesand with their backrow strengths, suggests to me they rate him highly enough forthe risk of moving to be worth taking.

Unfortunately, I think I agree with this.

There's a definite chance that once everyone is back from injury he won't get selected.
But, if he stays in England, he definitely won't get selected post World Cup.

So, it's a 50/50 call v's a 0% call.

If he really wants to be playing for Wales, he has to take the chance.
Besides, what would he be losing out on?
I doubt he really wants to be playing for his dad forever. Would his salary be particularly lower in Wales?
Wales is a nice part of the World, and afterall, he is Welsh.

What downsides are there for him?
He'll be moving away from friends at Wasps and in Coventry in general.
But, he's bound to have friends from age grade who play for each of the Welsh regions, and will have other friends in the country too.

I just can't see many reasons why he'd want to stay unfortunately :(

I agree with much of this however - I think I read recently that the Welsh Regions are cash strapped as are the WRU and financal reward might be a reason for him staying put - especially with a small human coming soon.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
Dai has already said that Thomas has to make his mind up at the end of NEXT season, as to wether he needs to move back to Wales to play.

I thought he said after the WC.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
He did indeed. Not sure what after the WC means ie signed up for 2019/20 or this only.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »

I dont class 2 caps against Pacific nations in a near 2 year span as being 'selected'.

Given his form over the last 3 years, i'd say he has been overlooked.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 03:53:33 PM »

I dont class 2 caps against Pacific nations in a near 2 year span as being 'selected'.

Given his form over the last 3 years, i'd say he has been overlooked.

There is a helluva lot of competition in the Wales' back row.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
Assuming he is still with the same partner that he was, she is Welsh and has family down here, which when added to his own nationality would give a lot of motivation to move.
I think he will go eventually, the only saving grace being the relatively weak state of the regional finances and small number of regions that are relatively well stocked already. If WP selects more widely than Gats then that is great, but Gatland's law isn't Gatland's, it is the WRU who are responsible for it...

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »
Westwaleswasp: you make a big assumption about us Welsh. I only go back to Wales as long as I have a return ticket.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
Heheh
In my experience the man follows the woman more than the other way round, and the women tend to stay closer to their family. All generalisations of course!

Plus in terms of house ownership you get a lot more bang for your buck down here, apart from the weather it is lovely.