Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Do we think that Thomas Young now goes?  (Read 5859 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Do we think that Thomas Young now goes?
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Obviously the Welsh rule on overseas players isn't as strict as some countries, but it's been said before that Young would likely need to be at a Welsh region to be regularly considered for national selection.

Dai is also on record as saying that Thomas has a tough decision to make after the world cup.
If he stays with Wasps he probably won't get any/many more caps, but if he leaves Wasps there's no guarantees that he will either.

He probably doesn't feature in a match day 23 if all back row options are available, however is that down to ability or some bias towards those playing in Wales?

Personally, I think he signs for a Welsh region and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's already done so, which might explain why he's now featuring for Wales.

I'd absolutely love the new man in charge of Wales to happily pick anyone based in the UK and therefore Thomas could stay with us, but I think that's just too much to hope for

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Do we think that Thomas Young now goes?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
Yes
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Yep, I reckon he's off to be honest.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:18:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a loophole (which WRU didn't envisage) but now I'm questioning myself.

Either way, would YY be gauranteed of a squad place for the WC. Is this cap, well deserved BTW, just Gatland trying to nail a "possible" down to his squad (a bit like EJ seems to have done with a certain flyhalf via the SA tour)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
He was exempt as he was under contract at the time of Gatlands Law, and he did an extension. But I think he would need a new contract for next year to stay at Wasps, and the WRFU may have said, 'Look, we want you. We are allowed to select and play you in the 6N, but we will only do so if you move for next season, then we can also give you RWC selection.' YY would have said, 'You pick and play me in the 6N, and then the RWC, and I will move.'

Totally and utterly conjecture, but much the same happened with Shields, yes? And, I suspect you can find examples of Welsh players recently with much the same scenario.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
Is Tom Francis still at Exeter as I think he has or had the same connumdrum?

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
Is Josh Adams in the same boat at Warriors too?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
Adams is in the same boat but given that he started the france game he's probably more assured of his place in the squad so will probably move.. a real shame for Wuss WRU annouce

I'm not sure if Liam Williams qualifies though.. did he sign  his contract with Sarries before the WRU announcement?

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
If it does happen I hope we are able to manage the message well and in a timely fashion. Something like "Wasps, a place where International careers are started" followed by an early announcement from YY that he is only leaving because he has to to play for Wales and to keep the shirt warm for his eventual return.

That would be leaving on a high and leaving behind smiles.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »
YY will have a challenge with other players who can play in the back row for Wales:
- James Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Lydiate and Falletau are injured.
- I assume Moriarty could play 6 when Falletau returns.
- Navidi & Wainwright are competition for YY.
So a big decision for him to stay or not.
I assume he could make the RWC squad since he is still contracted to Wasps.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
I think Frances extended his contract rather than renewing it. Not sure what the difference is.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I think Frances extended his contract rather than renewing it. Not sure what the difference is.

Extending means on the same terms (especially money). New (renewing) a contract means (potentially) more money. Doing the latter means you have to be playing in Wales in order to be picked (unless you have a lot of caps).

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »
I'd say no, i'm not sure he's appreciated enough by Wales to upsticks on a maybe.  Being constantly overlooked will put doubt in your mind.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
Dai has already said that Thomas has to make his mind up at the end of NEXT season, as to wether he needs to move back to Wales to play.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
It's a tough call for him but if he has serious international ambitions he's got to move at the end of his current contract. That he's gettingselected despite not being in Walesand with their backrow strengths, suggests to me they rate him highly enough forthe risk of moving to be worth taking.