Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is Dai the right man to lead the club?  (Read 5889 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dai the right man to lead the club?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »
I agree entirely with all that. Do you tweet your articles? So I could then re-tweet it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Spot on Martin.

He does desperately need some help though. Hopefully this summer will see the coaching changes required.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
I agree entirely with all that. Do you tweet your articles? So I could then re-tweet it.

I haven't up to press, but probably should.  I am @fromtheplace

I'll go tweet it now.

southamwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Agree totally with your sentiments. I imagine all leaders whatever their sphere go through the wringer at some stage in their respective careers. I have loved watching wasps over the past 4 years and win lose or draw have pretty much enjoyed all the games. The style of rugby has been entertaining and that has to be down to Mr Young. We have struggled this season due I believe to the long term injuries but hopefully having read the latest injury report things will soon turn the corner.   

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:19:05 AM »
Spot on Martin.

He does desperately need some help though. Hopefully this summer will see the coaching changes required.

I agree, we need some changes, but if we start to win with the current set-up I won't be calling for anything major.  I think there is a lot going on, and we can't simply pin it on one thing.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
Agree totally with your sentiments. I imagine all leaders whatever their sphere go through the wringer at some stage in their respective careers. I have loved watching wasps over the past 4 years and win lose or draw have pretty much enjoyed all the games. The style of rugby has been entertaining and that has to be down to Mr Young. We have struggled this season due I believe to the long term injuries but hopefully having read the latest injury report things will soon turn the corner.

I hope you're right!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
Good article with well made points. We/Dai/Wasps have had a fairly sh1t season to date and I think we all hope it improves. The point has been made about the coaching team and I think Wilson would have been senior enough to have taken some of the flak. One can only hope that appointments are in place for next season but being held back to avoid another Wilson situation.

On another note I see Rob Smith has finally put in words (on DW) his opinion of Dai - I think we all knew this from his various posts but is sad to see.

Onward and (hopefully) upwards.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
Probably like most STH's I received a letter from Wasps this morning. It refers to how they have taken on board feedback from a mid-season survey.

Interesting to see they've set up an email account for supporters to email with suggestions. I wonder how long that will stay active?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »

Some may feel that I'm happy to settle for mediocrity, but I personally feel that I'm just happy to be able to watch my team play.... Winning the league and cup competitions is purely the icing on the cake.

I'm a terrible loser, I hated losing when I played, and I wasn't ever particularly happy if I felt we didn't deserve to win either. In some ways that carries over to when I watch Wasps. I hate to see us lose, but it's always tempered by a realisation that I'm still privileged to be able to watch them, whether that be on TV or live.

In the pitch success is not a prerequisite of my support, although I'm certainly happier when we win.

As for the man in charge, I find Dai to be one of the most genuine people in sport. In my fleeting meeting with him he came across as an extremely nice and honest person.
Those are traits that I'd not swap for anything. It may mean that we never win the league or a cup, but I can accept that knowing that we have a good man in charge.

There's a lot being said about Saracens at the moment, and their "win at all costs" approach. It may or may not be true. I don't care.
I'm happy with our "be nice at all costs, and win if you can" approach

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
Best thing about Dai is the way he conducts himself in interviews etc. Certainly a refreshing change from some national coaches. No verbal hand grenades, plenty of focus on us and not errors by officials.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »
I agree with the article, I think as others have said, all leaders go through darker days and that can be for a variety of reasons, not all within their power to change or influence

Just one example, a fit Robson and Gopperth behind half of the first choice pack would have made Lima's intro much easier and we'd probably have been looking a little better. Another - in a parallel rugby world, Sam Jones wasn't injured and Wade was England first choice right wing...again, things would be a lot rosier at the club.

I don't see any lack of wanting to win from players, I see - least on tv (I can't easily get to games right now) a decent atmosphere between the players, but most of us have been in teams which couldn't buy a win. I remember the hell of taking over a cricket team that (imo) needed some new direction, only to find it took over a third of a season to get our first win and longer before we got the ethos I wanted... in place!

As for Wasps and Dai, I hope we can get some coaching resource to spread the load and perhaps it would be good for contact with fans if we had the odd "narrative" from Wasps about style and overall recruitment aims (say)?

But having followed Wasps since the 70's, at first because they shared colours with by school team, I want to watch ambitious rugby, aimed at winning, but always with the ambition to amaze.

I miss watching Wade still!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
I miss watching Wade still!

You never know. You might catch him with pads and a helmet sometime in the NFL :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 09:30:44 PM »
Just skim read the thread... It is a shame that Rob has decided to say what he has because he has a fair few followers on DW. I also usually look to what he is saying as being a voice of reason ...

Nothing points to our weakness this year more than the results. Dai isn't exposing any hidden weakness and I would say that he will only be opening up because moral in camp is picking up now that the majority of news is out.

People seem to mistake honesty for weakness, what matters is how the club behave off the pitch and perform on it.  It shows how much he cares for the club and what a shift he is putting in trying to point things in the right direction, he won't get everything right, nobody does, but I'm sure he'll be putting everything into rebuilding the team.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »
Perhaps it is time to bring out the "Live Fast" signs to show our support and appreciation, and the style of Rugby we enjoy.

Can't think of anyone I would rather have in charge.

Not been a great year, but not every year will be. I believe it will get better.