Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 7227 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
I am sure they are,you are spot on, plenty more to come I am sure, but it is unlikely that they are going to be suddenly in the Jimmy/Daly class. Bassett has always been held up as an example of how championship players can be found, but he is an unusual example, we can't expect that all the time, and even then he is not quite international class. A team of metaphorical Bassetts would not be top table end of season, you can see he looks less dangerous this year on the few breaks we have made, because the international players around him in the backs, the Robsons, Dannys, Willies etc. have not been there. Good finisher, decent pace, not quite the footwork, fine first choice. I am sure Neale and Booj will be in the same mould, good choices in gheir positions, but what I am suggesting is that the very top teams will have a bit more in their armoury at centre. I certainly think it is mire likely than not that another option is lined up.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 05:14:34 PM »
Thompson, Reider, Cruse, Cooper Woolley was 2nd level Welshi believe, Hughes 2nd level Nz. Some work out and some don't, but what we've seen so far makes me confident.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:25 PM »
Jake was dual registered, attached to Cardiff blues at the time he was playing second tier, bit like Umaga is attached to us whilst playing second tier.
He was in the Cardiff system circa 2010, presumably known to Dai, and was at Uni in Cardiff, so not quite the same as Josh or Booj. I know he played in (our) Varsity (Cardiff/Swansea).

I thought Cruse came via Irish? He did play second tier though.

I agree some do work out, but I stand by my comments, a team of JCWs, Bassetts won't be contesting finals. I would be astonished if we made no more back signings if Campo is off, and surprised if at least one could  not cover centre.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
While I agree Bassett is hardly likely to displace May from the England squad on current form, I'm not sure I agree about JCW.

If our whole squad was as good at their individual roles as he is at TH then we'd be smashing teams left right and centre. In fact I'd argue that that is exactly what Chiefs have had for some time. A squad of players that are all pretty good without being world class.

The average skill level might be similar to a team like Wasps where we've had world class players lining up with journeymen, but the results aren't always going to be the same.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:56:30 AM by Vespula Vulgaris »
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »
Umaga absolutely shone at 10 last year in the AW Cup when it was confirmed he would be focusing on playing 10 rather than 12.
Conor Eastgate who was also playing well at 10/12 at the same time and I believe will still play prem rugby at some stage was let go, I imagine as we were stocked well enough with Umaga and the incoming Searle.

Now Umaga is flying at Champ level at FB and needs a shot at 10/12/15/23 next season.
Perhaps if he is another option at 10 it allows him, Lima or Searle to also become options at 12 like Jimmy. Not ideal of course but also worked out ok with Jimmy.

JdJ and Fekitoa comfortable at 12/13
Jimmy in there as well, Booj as 3rd/4th choice 12, Neale 3rd choice 13 - 10s also available at 12, Simmonds, Spink and Anderson still a little lightweight but coming through well to play A league.

I can see Gaby being given a one year deal to cover 12/13/wing but with him likely to retire soon and Jimmy next year probably as well we need another front line centre soon to complement Fekitoa and JdJ unless Neale and Booj can step up a little.

Max Clark rumours however might mean Gaby is off and we’re after another decent and EQP immediately

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
Would love to see Lima at 12.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »
Would love to see Lima at 12.
Playing off whom at 10?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
Jake was dual registered, attached to Cardiff blues at the time he was playing second tier, bit like Umaga is attached to us whilst playing second tier.
He was in the Cardiff system circa 2010, presumably known to Dai, and was at Uni in Cardiff, so not quite the same as Josh or Booj. I know he played in (our) Varsity (Cardiff/Swansea).

I thought Cruse came via Irish? He did play second tier though.

I agree some do work out, but I stand by my comments, a team of JCWs, Bassetts won't be contesting finals. I would be astonished if we made no more back signings if Campo is off, and surprised if at least one could  not cover centre.

Not every championship/2nd tier player will step up to the next level but if you look at Exeter as an example it is possible with coaching and the right environment. Up until recently I'm struggling to think of a player they signed that was either a SH superstar or international. You can almost go through their whole squad from a few years ago to now and see that most have stepped up in terms of performance to allow them to compete at the top. Steenson, Dollman, whilst not being recognised by national coaches, were key in their development. I believe Slade and Woodburn left Bath with the careers having stalled, the same with Short from Sarries.

Whilst having superstars like Beale, Piatau and WLR has been brilliant I don't think its benefited the club in the medium term to any extent

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
Jonny, have you been watching Umaga in the games?

There was a streamed one a week or so ago, he did fine, some smooth moments in attack, some decent tackles, but some missed high balls and a couple of errors. He does have significant strengths, but I'm not sure I'd want him as a regular starter right now.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:52 AM »
No I haven’t seen him play myself at Leeds, saw his cameos in Auckland and some highlights but a friend in Leeds has seen him play a few times including the away game at Nottingham this weekend and says despite him still being raw and still getting bigger, if we don’t play him next season someone else will offer him a deal elsewhere.

Just want him to be filtered in. Give him faith that there is a route in for him. Daly, Miller, WLR have all made plenty of mistakes under the high ball and with missed tackles etc this season and I think playing some of these young guys in a struggling team is not going to help them or the team. However if we can gain some momentum and find some form again then this is when we can filter the likes of him, Willis and Porter in.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
Re. Exeter BG

They have had a few Australians down there but not galacticos really. Lachie Turner was there first, not long after he was a regular for Aus, Greg Holmes and Dave Dennis were probably bigger signings still, Nic white probably the biggest SH signing they’ve had from Aus.
Cordero maybe the most effective?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
I agree that we should start to filter him in, the question is, is he better off starting week in/week out, in the championship, or getting 15 minutes off the bench in the premiership?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
Let him finish his season with Carnegie BUT make sure he knows he is wanted for next season as part of the first team. It would not be good for him to be recalled and sit games out because others are fit  unless of course WLR and Daly are deliberately kept out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
Umaga is the one that I'm least worried about.
I firmly believe there is a proper plan in place that both the club and the player have bought into.

We've heard soundbites from Pendlebury about how Umaga is continuing the season on loan at Carnegie ahead of being integrated into the senior squad

but also, I just don't see that we send the kid to New Zealand on loan, presumably at least partly at his request, without really wanting to keep him on side.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
You would certainly hope so.
Let me tell you something cucumber