Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nick Eastwood's update on Sky Blues situation - basically no change.  (Read 13274 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Eastwood's update on Sky Blues situation - basically no change.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
Probably not.  A different organisation (Football Conference) but I was dealing with Margate FC and they were given every opportunity to comply; deadlines were extended and extended again, then after they demolished their stadium they were allowed to switch grounds to Maidstone at short notice and about 40 miles from here.  I would expect the EFL to extend the same to CCFC, so whilst I wouldn't expect them to be playing in Coventry (unless the legal situation changes), I would expect them to be playing in the EFL (probably at Northampton).

However EFL have stated they must play in Coventry - which basically means Ricoh or Cov. Rugby. 

I would imagine that if they submit stadium details late they could start with a points deduction and/or fine. However the EFL will probably then relent and allow them to play outside Cov.

If they haven't submitted stadium details before fixtures are ready to be drawn-up they will be relegated out of the EFL.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »
Then they play at Northampton, and with that start to lose money.
To be honest I don't see how we can be cast in a bad light; in the minds of some we are, and law will be, the enemy, even if we let them play rent free. In the minds of most others, we are being unfairly persued by a litigous bunch of scum, a football cancer whose very ownership is abhorrent to the supporters.
In short, appearing to be the good guys is now of no concern, there are no hearts and minds left to be won, people have made up their mind.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
Probably not.  A different organisation (Football Conference) but I was dealing with Margate FC and they were given every opportunity to comply; deadlines were extended and extended again, then after they demolished their stadium they were allowed to switch grounds to Maidstone at short notice and about 40 miles from here.  I would expect the EFL to extend the same to CCFC, so whilst I wouldn't expect them to be playing in Coventry (unless the legal situation changes), I would expect them to be playing in the EFL (probably at Northampton).

However EFL have stated they must play in Coventry - which basically means Ricoh or Cov. Rugby. 

I would imagine that if they submit stadium details late they could start with a points deduction and/or fine. However the EFL will probably then relent and allow them to play outside Cov.

If they haven't submitted stadium details before fixtures are ready to be drawn-up they will be relegated out of the EFL.

I've read the same.. that EFL have stipulated that CCFC have to play in or near Cov (would Nuneaton or Hinckley count?). Or is this just EFL making a statement to try and force a resolution.

I believe Northampton FC have said they don't want to host CCFC again and the owner/investor of Coventry RFC has already said the same (whilst SISU are still involved).

It seems CCFC, well the companies that are behind it, are burning bridges with everyone they deal with, which makes you wonder about how they (SISU) run their normal day to day activities in their normal line of work

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
I'm sure EFL would be flexible. no one wants to be accused of destroying the club. Look at Spurs who are not playing at the ground they nominated and are having to make do with Wembley

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
Spurs have a clear reason for why they are playing at Wembley and an achievable end-game and strategy for when they will stop playing there - when their under construction stadium is complete.

CCFC will rock up at the EFL and explain how they have systematically alienated all potential stadium owners in the area following their history of withholding payment and continued litigation. They have no funding in place to build their own stadium or any other plan to end the "temporary" move away from Coventry. It's possible EFL won't be as sympathetic to CCFCs situation as they are to Tottenham's.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
EFL "only" have jurisdiction over the Championship and Leagues one and two.

It is the Premiership that Spurs have, not much, to worry about.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
Just on BBC news the EFL have written to CCFC that they must let them know about next season by first week of March.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
Read somewhere (I think it might have been CovLive) was that SISU were thinking of Nuneaton Boro - only to be then told by their owner that it wasn't going to happen...

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
Read somewhere (I think it might have been CovLive) was that SISU were thinking of Nuneaton Boro - only to be then told by their owner that it wasn't going to happen...

The Nuneaton ground is owned by owner of another EFL club (Macclesfield?), so EFL wouldn't allow it as a "conflict of interest".

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

The Nuneaton ground is owned by owner of another EFL club (Macclesfield?), so EFL wouldn't allow it as a "conflict of interest".

Even more of an issue is the surrounding land owned by the Rugby Club.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/nuneaton-borough-liberty-way-groundshare-15491885

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
Extracted from an article in the Coventry Telegraph dated yesterday (21.02.19).

Rumours have been rife among supporters that  Coventry City’s owners, Sisu will turn to Nuneaton Borough's ground as a Plan B if they fail to secure a new deal to continue playing at the Ricoh Arena.

But the owner of the Boro ground Norman Smurthwaite has dismissed the possibility of Coventry City playing their games at Liberty way saying he has never discussed it with anyone at the club and "there’s no truth in it whatsoever".
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 10:56:19 AM »
CCFC club statement here:

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/statement-coventry-city-confirm-receipt-of-letter-from-the-efl-board/

No mention of why they might be homeless: legals and/or SISU.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »

Even more of an issue is the surrounding land owned by the Rugby Club.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/nuneaton-borough-liberty-way-groundshare-15491885

Sounds all nice and messy!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/statement-coventry-city-confirm-receipt-of-letter-from-the-efl-board/

Would you really expect CCFC to comment on the legals/SISU when they are one and the same entity?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »

Would you really expect CCFC to comment on the legals/SISU when they are one and the same entity?

No I didn't expect them to comment. Hoped they might tho........
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!