Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nic Berry  (Read 1949 times)

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Nic Berry
« on: February 28, 2019, 11:30:41 AM »
I've only just twigged that the referee for the England v Italy Six Nations game is none other than former Wasps Scrum-Half Nic Berry (yes late to the party probably as all refs were announced ages ago).

I knew he had risen quickly through the Super Rugby ranks as a referee but not sure I had ever realised he was refereeing internationally. Really pleased to see though, given his enforced retirement from playing for us, as he was not only a great player but a really good guy with a good eye for the laws (obviously important as a referee).

Am very pro former players becoming referees. I think it gives them an edge over non-player refs as they potentially have a better understanding of flow and ebb to games as well as some of the more nitty-gritty technicalities on pitch. Equally I would imagine it makes them better at spotting those little niggly infringements that players make resulting in, one would hope, better discipline enforcement on pitch. Just an opinion mind.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nic Berry
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
He's Australian, apparently! I never twigged that when he played for us. Just assumed he was English - hence wondering how he could be reffing England!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:44:33 AM »
Yes. Backs mostly seem to become referees and forwards become citing officers :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
He reffed the France/Scots game last week. Did a decent job IMO.

The likes of him, Karl Dickson, Glen Jackson, Richard Haughton are the future of refereeing

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »

The likes of him, Karl Dickson, Glen Jackson, Richard Haughton are the future of refereeing

I didn't get to watch that game so wasn't aware.

Yes you are spot on IMO, Karl Dickson has been doing great as has Glen Jackson. RH clearly can't be doing bad for himself reffing on the 7s stage, but I don't really get the chance to watch much 7s so can't comment on how good he is.

Great to see, and hope to see more (though without the enforced retirements preferably!)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »

I didn't get to watch that game so wasn't aware.

Yes you are spot on IMO, Karl Dickson has been doing great as has Glen Jackson. RH clearly can't be doing bad for himself reffing on the 7s stage, but I don't really get the chance to watch much 7s so can't comment on how good he is.

Great to see, and hope to see more (though without the enforced retirements preferably!)

He's probably one of a few people who can keep up with play