Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai Being Cagey When Asked about Shaun Edwards  (Read 9712 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Dai Being Cagey When Asked about Shaun Edwards
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
To temper expectations, from another random internet dweller, who may or may not have true info, he's heard Edwards has turned Wasps down.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 07:36:50 AM »
To temper expectations, from another random internet dweller, who may or may not have true info, he's heard Edwards has turned Wasps down.

I'd heard the same. But rumours are rumours and mean little but the official announcement is made.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »

I'd heard the same. But rumours are rumours and mean little but the official announcement is made.

That would be very disappointing, let’s hope the rumours are not true. Personally would have Edwards over DY

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »
OK, someone got a Times sub? Apparently they're saying he has something in place with Wasps, but is holding on for a potential England gig.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »
I think this is pie in the sky - hope it isn't but Edwards seems to be placing himself very well in the marketplace.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 11:34:11 AM »
From the Indie:

The Independent understands that Wasps are considering Edwards as a potential addition to their coaching staff, either alongside current director of rugby Dai Young or as a replacement if the Welshman cuts his losses and leaves after a difficult season. Bath are also keeping close tabs on the 57-year-old’s future should Todd Blackadder’s side miss out on the Premiership top-four this season. They currently sit seven points off fourth-paced Gloucester in sixth position.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
The least reliable of media (Rugby Pass) is also reporting him as saying he won't be going to Wigan, nor staying on at Wales. They are repeating what we are guessing, that he will sign for Wasps (I wonder where that would leave Costello?). Dai said at the start of March he would have an announcement in 4-6 weeks, so we still have up to 4 weeks to wait I guess.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
I think Dai has done way too much for the club to be let go on the basis of a single season of disappointment, especially as much of the problem was out of his control.

However I would be very pleased to see him move to a more strategic role with Shaun coming in to run the coaching duties.  Whether either of them would be willing to do that I have no idea.  I guess it depends on what the other options are.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »
Shaun Edwards set for Wasps – if RFU don’t call
Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent
March 18 2019, 12:01am, The Times

The Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards has a deal in place to join Wasps next season. However, he has not signed yet because he is waiting to see if there is an option to coach England instead.
Edwards’s coaching of the Wales team contributed hugely to the grand slam that they completed in Cardiff on Saturday and he would be a prize signing.

Mitchell has a contract through to the end of the World Cup
It was announced last August, at a press conference that Edwards attended, that he would be returning to his rugby league roots next season and joining Wigan Warriors as head coach. However, Edwards, 52, who was captain of the England rugby league team in 1995, has said that no contract was signed and that his future therefore remains undecided.
Edwards has been in negotiations with Wasps, whom he coached before joining Wales. If he went to Wasps, he would work as a senior coach under Dai Young, the director of rugby. Wasps expect him to confirm either way in the next two or three weeks.
However, it is no secret that Edwards has long hankered after a job working on the England coaching staff, probably as defence coach. The RFU has let him slip through its fingers before and, because its process for appointing a new coaching team for next year is so unclear, it may lose him again.
Eddie Jones, the England head coach, has another two years on his contract. John Mitchell, the present defence coach, has a contract through to the end of the World Cup. However, it is expected that Jones will not go on beyond the World Cup either. England do not have a chief executive in place to lead the appointment of his successor.
It is therefore complicated for England if they wish to recruit Edwards as their next defence coach because, ordinarily, they would need a head coach in place first and it would be the head coach’s appointment. If there is no job with England, then it is expected that Edwards will return to Wasps.
“I haven’t signed a contract with anybody yet,” Edwards said. “I agreed with Wigan and thought we would sign a contract. But then Wigan said, ‘It’s OK, we’ll sign one later,’ and I thought that was unusual. That was nine months ago. I’ll consider all offers, league, union.”

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
Thanks, Fats. It's beginning to sound worryingly a bit like Danny.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
Thanks, Fats. It's beginning to sound worryingly a bit like Danny.

We're rumoured to be back in for Cips :D

He's apparently only on £190k at Glos. The risk of leaving a new contract to the last minute. How much has Eddie cost him do we wonder?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:14 PM »
Cips was in TRP yesterday but with uncle Tom Cobbly plus it said he had two firm offers from France. If he has any sense he will take his last big payout.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:08:08 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
Cops was in TRP yesterday but with uncle Tom Cobbly plus it said he had two firm offers from France. If he has any sense he will take his last big payout.

Cips back to us could depend on us getting Edwards.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
I think Danny will be off to another country. Edwards or no Edwards, he's been screwed over too many times to have any real desire to stick around in the UK. And I for one don't blame him at all.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!