Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bobby Bridge on Marcus Watson  (Read 2932 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Bobby Bridge on Marcus Watson
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/marcus-watson-wasps-try-tigers-15914346

Personally, I hope he stays but I can understand Dai's uncertainty as Marcus has certainly not had much luck with injuries.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Bridge on Marcus Watson
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Interesting isn't it, Bassett wouldn't have scored either of those tries. The break was only bettered by the finish...amazing.

I'm on the fence, I wish he had the opportunity to be judged on a decent run of games but he hasn't, when he has played he's looked rusty...which is understandable but hard for the guy.

Its a risk..he has a USP for sure, create space for him and he'll prob create something....it's just the fitness thing. That said, we re-signed Mcintyre who isn't far from being a PJD #2.

I wouldn't be upset if he re-signed. but Dai's words don't sound promising in that regard.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
I'd like to know who might be replacing him before I decide whether I'm happy or sad about him leaving or staying.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
The survey on the Coventry Evening Telegraph is a bit of fun, but also quite telling https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/marcus-watson-wasps-try-tigers-15914346#du_top

From what I saw I would agree with the top 6.

Jack Willis 8.8
Marcus Watson8.2
Rob Miller7.8
Joe Simpson7.6
Will Rowlands7.3
Ashley Johnson7.1
It was fine when I left it.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
Strange comments from Dai, haven’t really heard him speak like that about a players injuries.
Clearly not Watson’s fault as Dai says but also in the same conversation saying he is out of contract this year, would be tough on him to get released due to him not being able to play as much as we hoped....  but then again it has to come into it in terms of a business decision and the returns you get on your investment. Wade and Bassett were/are rarely injured in comparison.

For me Watson is always going to be a third choice winger, we still need someone in who is superior in my opinion to replace Wade and can scare defences

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
Who do we think are the others out of contract?
My guesses would be:

Myall - 32, now seemingly 5th choice lock, re-signed ahead of 17/18 season
Garratt - 25, 6th choice lock?? signed ahead of 16/17 season largely unused and seems to have been injured for almost two whole seasons
Gaby - 33, finding some form with continuity but constantly managing knee (?) injury. Signed ahead of 17/18 season.
TJ - 25, signed ahead of 17/18 season - rumoured to be off back to the Championship.
Hampson - 28, signed on FT ahead of the 17/18 season - being pushed by Porter for 3rd choice, rumoured to be off back to the Championship

Tom West ? - Stuart has gone so was West only on a 1 yr deal too?
Championship signings? Any of the 5 from last season perhaps only on 1 yr deals?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
I don't feel that Watson has done enough for us during his period with us. You can't do anything about injuries but I think Dai is implying that perhaps Watson isn't looking after himself (mid-week, pre game) as much as a pro sportsman should be.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:04:33 AM by BG »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
I agree, his fitness has always been an issue and the slightest niggle seems to keep him out for weeks. When he had to cover for Wade he didn't step up and I can't recall the game but Wade had a rest week and ended up being drafted back in as Watson called in 'sick'. However on Saturday, he demonstrated he can do a job if he is physically and mentally fit. Like I said previously I think he can do a job for the remainder of this season but he isn't a long term option, we need a 14!
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
Depending on what his options are elswhere I wouldn't be against having him stay in the squad (thatis if he wants to stay) but perhaps on a different contract.. a reduced salary but perhaps higher match and try bonuses? Maybe that would concentrate his mind? I wonder if those type of contracts do exist.

Changing sports slightly but I know some motorsports drivers/riders have their contracts heavily leant towards performance related pay. I'm guessing that's a bit difficult in a team sport though

Mrs. Peter Quinn

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
I think give him an opportunity to back it up. There's a good chunk of games left for him to get stuck into before the end of the season. I agree that on all the evidence he hasn't done enough yet, and at many points has been actively poor.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
I don't feel that Watson has done enough for us during his period with us. You can't do anything about injuries but I think Dai is implying that perhaps Watson isn't looking after himself (mid-week, pre game) as much as a pro sportsman should be.

I dont read that at all. He's had an achillies and groin issue, not sure there's much to be done to circumvent that.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 02:27:43 PM »
He has been beset with injury and Saturday was the first game I have seen him play at anything like his sevens ability. I have repeatedly asked for his head on a platter during other comeback matches because he lacked speed and his tackling was worse than woeful. BUT if he is getting back to 100% and stays that way I could see him being kept. Like the idea of pay by play.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:34:50 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »
He really wan't challenged defensively by Tigers, so that game flattered to deceive.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
I would be happier keeping him as a back up rather than main choice, given his performances thus far.