Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is this really an injury crisis?  (Read 1434 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Is this really an injury crisis?
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »

Over and over again, we say that our injury curse is getting worse, bit is it?

I can't remember us not supposedly having an injury curse.

When Dan Ward-Smith announced his retirement I remember some saying that our injury luck couldn't get worse.
Then there's obviously the injuries to Tom Rees and many many others.

Eventually, it surely just becomes the norm
(Which in itself is concerning), rather than being a 10 year curse

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Is this really an injury crisis?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »
On another forum, I, amongst other posters, noted that the way in which the game is played and reffed is going to, and has, led to more injuries day to day and probably the risk of longer term harm to players.

This came out of a discussion about the ruck and the way it is played in the Prem mostly, as compared to the ways its played, especially, in Mitre 10 games and how that enforced fast ball meant a better game to watch and one which encouraged a different fitness and reduced impacts on players at the breakdown

I think rugby does have a general injury/way the game is played problem, especially at top level, but not exclusively.

Also - for me - the modern game has shown to me, anyway, that the Laws and the physical nature of the modern pro game don't line up well. RU is (for me...) more of a fit PE teacher game - with current Laws and application and the power and size of so many modern players has reduced space and increased impacts. The enforcement of the Laws like in Mitre 10, may reverse this a little - or else - top level rugby could become unattractive

I've found I've liked more of the games in the Prem with the 6Ns squads off on international duty.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Is this really an injury crisis?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
Some years are worse than others, but attrition rates are high.
We have lacked depth, and the top teams don't suffer as much as us these past few years.
You only have to look at the way we talk about  how Jimmy's injury has made it hard for Lima. Most clubs lose a decent twelve,  and either nine or ten and their new star signings don't fall apart, their teams don't fall apart, because they have guys who come into those positions. Our high turnover of players has made it hard to gel when just one or two key players get injured.