Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England's Wasp Leavers  (Read 6697 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England's Wasp Leavers
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 11:43:58 AM »
One thing is, I don't understand EJ's substitution policy.

I don't think anybody does. There seems little real thought at work. In the Wales' game he left 3 on the bench entirely: Cowan-Dickie, Robson, Ford. Why? I cannot see any reason.

As you say England were running on fumes and EJ didn't seem to notice or care. Why have England been dire (and yet again direr as the tournament progressed) in second halves? Over coached, over trained? Play to a rigorous plan A and there is absolutely no plan B when A fails? Gatland and Edwards are deep thinkers, Jones and Mitchell are not. It was Jones who put his tuppence worth into the Wales/Ireland game (why?) by saying Wales were looking tired. Pathetic. Who had the last laugh?

Can't argue with any of that. Either England are rehearsing a different plan and selection and it will be fine at the RWC (unlikely) or EJ has run out of ideas....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
On a slightly different note....
What has happened to Ireland?

2nd in the world coming into the tournament I believe.
Expected to show how far ahead of the rest of the NH they are

A pretty poor 6N's for them too

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
Wales simply strangled Ireland but  Ireland seemed to lack any ideas or ambition. It was good to see the officals pinging offside in the defensive line as well. The offence is pretty much ignored in the EPL.

Ireland also looked knackered even in the first half.

I'm not aware of them missing many keys players?

Maybe the occasion got to them but its a very experienced Irish squad? 

I feel for Italy as France were there for the taking.

The centre must be feeling gutted but even youngsters are taught to swap the ball into the hand/arm on the opposite side to the potential tackler

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
Just for fun, ED waving Scotland through and then taking out a cameraman, Itoje high fiving and whooping from his seat ;-) Great capture from Ed Jackson.....I may have made the Itoje bit up...

https://twitter.com/edjackson8/status/1107037989291655168

It was fine when I left it.....

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
Just for fun, ED waving Scotland through and then taking out a cameraman, Itoje high fiving and whooping from his seat ;-) Great capture from Ed Jackson.....I may have made the Itoje bit up...

https://twitter.com/edjackson8/status/1107037989291655168

It really does look like he makes no Attempt to avoid the sound man.

I personally believe Daly will play left wing for Sarries or 13. I doubt McCall will play Daly at 15, as I think McCall knows what he is doing

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
I noticed that too Westy, probably nothing much to read into. I wonder what is going on with Elliot of late as he's hardly performed for us (when he has run out for us) and he's had his poor moments with England. Looks like the positional shifting has done more damage than I had originally thought.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »

Yeah, I've watched it a few times trying to see how it could be an accident and I really can't see it.  It wouldn't be the first time Elliot has behaved petulently on the pitch.  Back when he was an up and coming player at Adam's Park he told one of the poster's from DW to "f**k off" after a match when they expressed disappointment in another poor performance from the team, and then there was the whole getting banned for mouthing off at an official thing...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Yeah, I've watched it a few times trying to see how it could be an accident and I really can't see it.  It wouldn't be the first time Elliot has behaved petulently on the pitch.  Back when he was an up and coming player at Adam's Park he told one of the poster's from DW to "f**k off" after a match when they expressed disappointment in another poor performance from the team, and then there was the whole getting banned for mouthing off at an official thing...

It's a shame to hear that because I had previously held him in high regard - up until the much-discussed contract debacle. However, it seems that his behaviour now cannot be put down to frustration but seems to be a bit of a common theme...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »

At the time (live) I said he deliberately hit the TV guy. Because of the lack of full replay at the time I wasn't believed but he was looking at him the whole time and could have changed direction even slightly to avoid him. Actually quite nasty.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
Most disappointing part was his tackling. At least twice a decent tackle could have killed a Scottish try.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
Most disappointing part was his tackling. At least twice a decent tackle could have killed a Scottish try.

It does seem to be a problem, which he has had all the time that I’ve seen him.

When playing at 13 he did fall off several tackles a season.

I like a lot of what Daly does, when running with the ball it is very smooth and attractive looking, he does seem to glide.

Considering his down falls, tackling and under the high ball, I’m surprised that he is so highly regarded at the very top level.

He is a good player but a great player, I’m not convinced.

I think if he plays on the wing for sarries, his weakness will be less exposed. For me that’s the position I would play him

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
At 13 he could let the opponent take the outside and drag them down. At fullback it's head on. Definitely not strong under the high ball. If he'd been kept there seasons ago then he'd probably be much more settled doing all this.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

I think if he plays on the wing for sarries, his weakness will be less exposed. For me that’s the position I would play him

Does he have the physical game and presence to be an out and out, week in - week out winger in the GP, he was very shy in the tackle at the weekend. He has his Saracens gig in the bag, so there is no reason to buck a tackle now. I think he lacks the heart for it and wants to play 13. I really do wonder if ED will turn up for Wasps for the remainder of the season, Dai has some decisions to make....
It was fine when I left it.....

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »
Guscott has Daly at full back in his BBC team of the tournament article on the website ! Although i think that is mainly based on him not wanting to pick anymore Welsh players, He also has picamoles at 8.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
Read that and it reads more reasons for not choosing Williams. .
Let me tell you something cucumber