Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby proposing some new laws after RWC.  (Read 5130 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: World Rugby proposing some new laws after RWC.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 10:45:47 AM »
Per JT002
From my first year of playing - 1962, to my last c 1981 (injury), it was considered primarily a game of evasion, and avoiding contact or the tackle. Professionalism, and RL coaching made it into a game of collision. Then fitness and strength made the collisions more harmful.

Glad I was able to play the ethos of the game when I did, and agree it should find a way to return to the all shapes and sizes part of the Laws.

Where did you play your club rugby?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
I agree West Wales Wasp, I can easily see strong attacking positions from just inside your own half being scuppered in favour of kicks to touch to attempt more rolling mauls.
Maul laws would be the ones I’d look at first

I agree about rolling mauls - as far as I can see they are just ways of getting round the obstruction laws.

Also, if player safety is paramount anyone wishing to join a ruck must have both feet on the ground at the moment they join to prevent the "flying missile" cleanouts.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
I agree West Wales Wasp, I can easily see strong attacking positions from just inside your own half being scuppered in favour of kicks to touch to attempt more rolling mauls.

I agree about rolling mauls - as far as I can see they are just ways of getting round the obstruction laws.

Also, if player safety is paramount anyone wishing to join a ruck must have both feet on the ground at the moment they join to prevent the "flying missile" cleanouts.

The "flying misslie" thing gets my goat in a way that not much else does. there should also be serious research into how far you can do this, I've got tired of seeing players whacked back into the next postcode.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »

The "flying misslie" thing gets my goat in a way that not much else does. there should also be serious research into how far you can do this, I've got tired of seeing players whacked back into the next postcode.

+1

Looks dangerous every time I see it happen!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
Many will know my liking for the Mitre 10 games from NZ - really enjoyed the games last season and part of that was the ethos of the games, facilitated by refereeing that made the game faster...and seemed to avoid some of the problems caused by having time to get everyone into defensive position

Firstly, the tackle laws were enforced so that arms needed to be used, tackle called early, tackler had to roll and tackled player couldn't wriggle. Ruck called as soon as possible, so no hands unless really quick and the ball is away v quickly indeed. Now obviously, not always - but it seemed to make for a quicker game - which rewards quicker players. Refs called use it v quickly and enforced it.

Penalties were quickly awarded for hands in rucks, etc, scrums done quickly and not reset if the ball playable, emphasis on getting the ball out unless 5m and push over possible. This led to fewer scrum penalties and less time lost.