Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nations Championship  (Read 2893 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nations Championship
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »
Kind of please please help us Southern Hemisphere countries. Anything with the Blatter name in charge should be shown the door with a hefty push.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »
Nations such as those from the Pacific Islands (Fiji/Samoa et al) should certainly receive some form of support as, generally speaking, those countries tend to be poorer. However, I'm not so convinced for the others.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:41 PM »
Nations such as those from the Pacific Islands (Fiji/Samoa et al) should certainly receive some form of support as, generally speaking, those countries tend to be poorer. However, I'm not so convinced for the others.

Of course they should BUT it should start nearer home. We have had no reason given why NZ or Australia don't play regular (annual) matches against the Island Nations. They would rather nick their players. If Scotland can do a sell out tour of the Islands why can't the ABs ?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:53:17 PM »

Of course they should BUT it should start nearer home. We have had no reason given why NZ or Australia don't play regular (annual) matches against the Island Nations. They would rather nick their players. If Scotland can do a sell out tour of the Islands why can't the ABs ?

I agree and part of the answer is because NZ think they are too good to be doing anything of the sort. Australia, NZ and SA should be reaping the $$$ in commercial deals as, historically, they have been the top 3 sides. They do not - not to the scale of the 6N anyway, surely.
The 6N unions have made a commercial and sporting success of the 6N - why should they give that up to the SH just because we are doing better.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
Totally agree.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »
Meanwhile, the southern hemisphere kick the Sunwolves out of the Super-whatever.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/tokyo-based-sunwolves-cut-from-super-rugby-after-2020-1.3834995

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
Meanwhile, the southern hemisphere kick the Sunwolves out of the Super-whatever.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/tokyo-based-sunwolves-cut-from-super-rugby-after-2020-1.3834995

I wonder if this is for the good of the global game too?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
Add to that up to three teams from SA wanting to join the Pro 14 and it will end up a NZ / Australia competition. Kind of ok Japan once you have held the WC we will ditch your team.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
6 nations give some of their existing revenue to SH plus they risk relegation
Tier 2 nations miss out because they are all but excluded
USA and Japan gain income and experience ... Until they get relegated but that won't happen for future TV
clubs see even less of their players who are exhausted
NZ, SA, Aus take money off 6N and no risk of relegation
Whose idea was this?  NZ, SA, Aus

How about all new money goes to tier 2 not NZ, SA, Aus? Thought not!

How about all tier 1 play one mandatory home match against tier 2 and must donate 50% of the match profits to tier 2? Thought not!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
I see its been kicked into touch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48698587

There's too much money being thrown at it though for it not to be discussed again in the near future.

I thought it was a daft idea. I bet the SANZAAR countries aren't happy about it.. they were looking forward to a massive pay day

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
Wonder if 6N will take the CVC offer now they have kicked the SH into touch.