Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Glaws game  (Read 14331 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Glaws game
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »
I think after this game and the simple mistakes we are making, I'm sadly falling into the need to make dramatic changes for next season.

It's very obvious that we have had a torrid time with injuries, international call ups etc, but we have lacked the quality, skill, determination and frankly effort at time of other teams. Whether that falls with the players, the coaches, the recruitment strategy I don't know.

Sadly, we need a major shake up of both coaches and players to fix this as we are carrying far too much dead weight.

This is a little bit of a rant post game but surely everyone else must be fed up of watching the dross at time we are putting in week upon week?

I am annoyed and upset and in the heat of the moment but nothing has changed and we still drop points, lack a cutting edge and sacrifice crucial and valuable points such as a losing bonus point at Glaws.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
Who might we have back for Worcs match? Jimmy?
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
Completely bereft of any creativity, trying the same old routines time and time again....bright start and then mediocre mundane rugby. Mostert's offence was a borderline red IMO, however that isn't an excuse, we were very poor in the second half and didn't capitalise on the sin bin period.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Bad game management in general.  When Glos went down to 14, with Mostert in the bin, I think we should have gone for the line out rather than taking 3 points. A couple of bad mistakes by Miller - kick off not 10 and missed touch from a penalty. There were three scrums - we tried to milk a penalty off the first two but got nothing but a reset (don't like trying to milk penalties but I don't know why we didn't get one), third scrum Glos penalty!

Very pissed off, Ross.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
3 points in the last 60 minutes is not going to worry any team.

It’s so sad how we have dropped so much in just a year, the signings in the summer were a concern and this is the result.

So disappointing after 3 enjoyable but winless seasons. Are we worst then the Adams park days?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Front row changes. Ben and Jake on.

As I asked on DW, why did this change happen when we were on top at scrum time? Because iirc, and my view was not the best, it felt that we were in trouble at every scrum after.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
Ok - this is not a considered posting but looking at Saints - their coaching and ethos has made them over the course of this season a team greater than the sum of the parts

We've currently look like the opposite - on paper a decent side - yet we played for too much of the the game like there is something missing. I can't know what the problem is - it would help supporters that if the injury situation (for example)  is impacting performances - that the clubs says so

Something is not working and perhaps we need to concede that something needs to change and soon or else next season will look rather average too.

(Pub in an hour....can't wait!)

Edited to try and be more balanced!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:07:34 AM by mike909 »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 05:24:03 PM »
Front row changes. Ben and Jake on.

As I asked on DW, why did this change happen when we were on top at scrum time? Because iirc, and my view was not the best, it felt that we were in trouble at every scrum after.

This!  It just seems to happen without a need. Play them longer especially when next week is an off week.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »
The fixture later on, will also have a bearing on how things shape, Sharks lose and the mid section (5 to 9) of the table looks almost inseparable. Falcons lose and they are staring at the trap door, great win for Warriors today at Bristol. A draw would suit Wasps nicely.
It was fine when I left it.....

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »
Ok - this is not a considered posting - but there are times when changes are needed, and there are many options how that change might be done - but look at Saints - no one would argue they are man for man a great side, but their coaching and ethos has made them over the course of this season a team greater than the sum of the parts

We've done the opposite - on paper that was a decent side - yet we played for too much of the the game like there is something missing. I can't know what the problem is - some closer to the club (hopefully to post) will say - but no one should escape criticism from top to bottom.

I've been a keen defender of Dai and the team - but something is not working and something needs to change and soon or else next season will look rather average too.

So WTF is going on?

Anyone

(Pub in an hour....can't wait!)

I have heard that a lot of the players don’t like Dai’s management, that could be the problem.

5 points ahead of Worcester is a concern, something does need to be done. I don’t think we have as good a team lined up for next season, unless other signings are going to be announced. Very worried

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »

I don't expect to win every game - I do expect endeavour and skill and some drive. Perhaps I expect too much - but I have the thought of what one or two of our great players from the recent past would be saying right now....

As in my modified posting above - if we are really struggling due to injuries etc - some more junior players have been playing too many games - it would be good to involve supporters and be honest with us
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:21:53 AM by mike909 »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
I have heard that a lot of the players don’t like Dai’s management, that could be the problem.

Do you actually believe that? Or are you just saying it because you dislike Dai? Here are the last 4 seasons with Dai at the helm:

2014-15: Premiership - 6th
2015-16: Premiership - 3rd
2016-17: Premiership - 1st (Runners-up)
2017-18: Premiership - 3rd

OK, this season is a bad one. But it doesn't look to me that during the previous 4 seasons the players have disliked Dai's style. You're just blowing hot air.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2019, 05:42:27 PM »
For me Glaws made superb overlaps, and butchered them.
We had none, we instead had line breaks when ball was loose or when they fell off tackles, which with a bit of composure we could have finished. A lbp would have been a fair result.

Miller did as well as any ten we have seen since Cips. I will say our ten was not an issue today.

I thought our use of the bench was poor.

Positives..
The forwards looked good in patches, some turnovers and some strong defense under pressure at times. Watson again had a couple of monents. Simpson was solid enough, scrum was dominant for 60 mins.
Negatives...
Daly really underwhelms. Week in and week out I fail to see him earn the shirt.
Willie, less so, bit of a curates' egg, like when he arrived.

We did not have a seven today, the back row lacked a turnover merchant, noone's fault.
Do you remember when Nathan used to look for space? He won't be missed next year, he just does not offer go forward any more.

We desparately need points to avoid relegation in this most tumultuous of seasons.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Yes I do believe it because it’s come from a current player plus I don’t rate Dai

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »
Our match vs. Warriors could be the most important in our history if results in other matches go the wrong way. We will lose to Chiefs and Sarries, sure, but the Bath and Quins games could go the same way.
I said last year that my fear is that we try to tighten and lose the ability to score, and that is what has happened. Defence does not really win championships, those who say otherwise tend to be defence coaches. The Edwards statement that it does has become an axiom, but truth be told the teams lifting the prem trophy have all been high scoring. It is a bonus point world, scoring more points than the opposition  wins the games, and picking up two points in matches lost is key. Frankly we don't look likely to score more than one try a match often enough.