Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Time for change  (Read 8900 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Time for change
« on: May 05, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
The playing and coaching need reenergising. We need fresh impetus and that has to come from the top.

Dai is a nice guy but, for me, he has run his course.

Next season's squad gives me no confidence that we will be any better than this. Indeed it could be worse. Too many fundamentals have failed to be addressed in the coaching and playing areas.

DC's presence papered over the cracks for too long.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Time for change
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
John, I do not agree with much of that. Surprise, surprise.

We are, sadly, lacking in in the second row and lacking in brains on the pitch. WLR has his usual brain farts and poor tackles. I am not sure who our big full back is for next year?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »
The playing and coaching need reenergising. We need fresh impetus and that has to come from the top.

Next season's squad gives me no confidence that we will be any better than this. Indeed it could be worse. Too many fundamentals have failed to be addressed in the coaching and playing areas.

You, and others, have been repeating the same thing over and over again elsewhere. Perhaps, rather than advocating P45s left, right and centre, you can give us some constructive criticism?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
I am not sure who our big full back is for next year?

I will be glad if we do not bring another WLR, Piutau, Beale in.
Leyds, fine, intelligent and classy player without breaking the bank, same with Minozzi, we of course have Miller already who has been shunted around and been playing second fiddle for years despite being one of the top prem FBs before we signed Piutau.
Or give Umaga a chance to break through there when Miller is injured of Minozzi is needed on the wing. Look at Gallagher, Furbank, younger James brother, Malins, joe Simmonds all with outdoubted talent then when a bit of faith was invested in them they grow immensely as players. Yes they’ll make mistakes but WLR and Daly have probably made the most costly mistakes for us this season in the backs

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 06:00:30 PM »
Minozzi should be our fullback for next season.

From a coaching perspective, I'd imagine Dai is staying put.  The question is, with Sean turning us down, who could step-in as defence coach, or even in some sort of Head Coach capacity, with Dai as DoR?  Dave Walder?  Alex King?  Worzzle?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »

You, and others, have been repeating the same thing over and over again elsewhere. Perhaps, rather than advocating P45s left, right and centre, you can give us some constructive criticism?

Ross,

So are happy with the way things are with the playing strategy and coaching team at Wasps?

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »
I still feel Dai has a role to play but things do need to change. He needs help, anyone can see that. Like most leaders, he had a bit of luck with who he was leading which covered up certain areas that were lacking (Cipriani as an example). He has now had bad luck (Gopperth and other injuries, Wade leaving etc). Coaching team needs a total revamp, get some old skool Wasps in there, they should be up for the job of restoring us to where we should be? However, this all goes out the window if Dai really, and I mean really doesn’t fancy it. Interesting times coming up I think

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 06:17:48 PM »
Dai has been asking the board of Wasps for extra coaching staff for quite some time. The fact that we were succeeding without made it very easy for them to defer it. Of course jow it has come back to bite them all.

We dont need rid of Dai, we need the rest of the Wasps leadership team to take him seriously and do what he says needs doing.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
Minozzi should be our fullback for next season.

From a coaching perspective, I'd imagine Dai is staying put.  The question is, with Sean turning us down, who could step-in as defence coach, or even in some sort of Head Coach capacity, with Dai as DoR?  Dave Walder?  Alex King?  Worzzle?

Alex is rumoured to be off to Ireland if Montpellier do a clear out as expected. I would think Dave W would stay as part of the Nerwcastle team. THe commentators today on the Lyon v Bordeaux match confirmed that Worzzle was off as he is not wanted by the incoming coach so unless he has something in the South of France lined up (probable) you do wonder if he would come back.

Mizzoli is in the Italy WC Squad sao could be missing for a chunk of the start of the season and will therefore take time to integrate. WE need somebody functioning for the Prem Cup matches plus the first 5/6 matches (inc whatever Euro matches we have).
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 06:21:18 PM »

Ross,

So are happy with the way things are with the playing strategy and coaching team at Wasps?

I'm certainly not happy but I don't advocate putting everyone in front of the firing squad. I asked for some constructive criticism but haven't read any yet. Dai will not be going unless he chooses to resign which I doubt. We are light in the coaching departments and definitely need some fresh blood. I don't know much about coaches so cannot make any suggestions there. I wouldn't necessarily rely on ex Wasps.

I would expect an old school second row to join us - not from a WC squad but someone who is on the fringes of international selection and is disappointed on missing out. We then get a full preseason from him. Tim Cardell could also be worth a punt in the senior squad. Joe will probably be away with England for most of next season and whoever we bring in, we will miss him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
Locks have been struggling since we replaced symonds with Matthews who then clearly did not impress the coaches for much of the season and therefore became a pointless signing.
Would hope that Matthews is on less money than Symonds was so now with Myall off, plus having a fair chunk of cap left anyway, we could grab a massive lock from somewhere who would be available all season.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »
Sometime continuity is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. We've had quite a turnover of players in reality - we've been working on individual brilliance too much and as others suggest, we look a little light on a SR and some coaching input

There comes a time when continuity can mean complacency or similar - the impact of the coaches at Glaws and Saints and Quins have shown what new coaching can bring

There are no guarantees, and I'm not for throwing out any babies with any bath water...but we need someone to impose (or at least provide some discipline) on the players the needs of game management and not reverting to BaaBaas 73 as a first often - however fun it might be.

I do not want us to look like any other team, I want us to look like Wasps. Just one of Lol, or Worzzle or Shaw or Dawson or Lewsey or several others on the pitch and that game would have been a win today. Purely by providing leadership. Similarly, I cant see a Wasps with Gatland or Geech in charge playing as slack a game as we've played so often in recent times.

So what to do - not panic, not think everything is ok either. We'll hopefully be playing with a v good backline including ABs, class front rows and backrows, and so ought to be a team people do not want to play.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
Playing devils advocate it could have been Dai holding it all together.
The forward have been fine for years in the set piece so is that Dai or Titterall? Our recruitment in the forwards has not relied on galacticos and Dai seems happy giving youth, rough diamonds and stalled potential a chance to shine.
In the backs our recruitment has been very different and has struggled this year.

Generally though I believe it is our systems, leadership and game management that have been wrong for a while.
So is that Blackett, Costello or Dai I don’t know but we go in and out of concentration in defence. We don’t seem to have a game plan much of the time and definitely do not have a plan b or c to full back on and if our forwards struggle we haven’t got enough in the backs to pull through

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 06:52:33 PM »
I think there're other priorities before lock.  I'd imagine Tom Willis will be offered a senior contract, taking us up to three No.8s, and we seem well covered at prop and hooker, but we're very light in the back-line for next season.

FB: Miller, Minozzi (James, Simonds)
WG: Bassett, Watson, (Sirker)
CE: de Jong, Fekitoa, Neal, le Bourgeois (Anderson, Spink)
FH: Gopperth, Searle, Sopoanga (Umaga)
SH: Robson, Vellocott (Porter)
LH: Daniels, Harris, McIntyre, West, Zhnavia (Thornton)
HK: Cruse, Johnson, Taylor (Oghre)
TH: Alo, Brookes, Owlett, Toomaga-Allen (Langley)
LK: Garrett, Gaskell, Launchbury, Matthews, Rowlands (Cardall)
FK: Carr, Morris, Shields, Willis J, Young (Curran, Wilson)
No.8: Rieder, Vailanu (Willis T)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Playing devils advocate it could have been Dai holding it all together.
The forward have been fine for years in the set piece so is that Dai or Titterall? Our recruitment in the forwards has not relied on galacticos and Dai seems happy giving youth, rough diamonds and stalled potential a chance to shine.
In the backs our recruitment has been very different and has struggled this year.

Generally though I believe it is our systems, leadership and game management that have been wrong for a while.
So is that Blackett, Costello or Dai I don’t know but we go in and out of concentration in defence. We don’t seem to have a game plan much of the time and definitely do not have a plan b or c to full back on and if our forwards struggle we haven’t got enough in the backs to pull through

Clearly something isn't right but I don't think hurling mud about willy nilly does any good whatsoever. We really needed someone to have taken a grip of the frantic play and brought us back to reality today. I still think Jamma would be a good captain, though he seems a bit injury prone (who isn't in Wasps currently). I'm not convinced that Joe is a particularly good captain, though he is a great player. And, of course, international call ups take him away for lots of the season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!