Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Mike Brown and Ben Te'o dropped from squad to face Wales  (Read 6573 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Brown and Ben Te'o dropped from squad to face Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
I'm gobsmacked at the inclusion/selection of Heinz. Maybe having Cips outside him at Glaws has brought him to the attention of EJ. The other selection that has left me scratching my head is the inclusion of Dan Cole. In his prime (3 yrs ago?) he was one of the best tightheads in the world but since then time has moved on and so has the expected role of a prop, and conversely, he's slowed down and offers pretty much nothing around the pitch apart and handful of penalties to the opposition.

Some of the selections must be a real kick in the teeth for some players who have been around the squad for the last few seasons only to be ejected at the last minute.

Its that sceanrio that was allegedly behind a lack of harmony within the squad  4 yrs ago.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
Matt Dawson is also 'utterly baffled' by Jones' scrum half selections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49255731

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
Read that earlier and thought that he had just putting it in print what most people have been saying/thinking.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:04:32 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
Matt Dawson is also 'utterly baffled' by Jones' scrum half selections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49255731

.. and whilst I'm on my high horse.. don't get me started on Heinz qualifying via an English grandmother. I know its permitted under World Rugby rules but it doesn't make it right.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »
I don't quite understand what peoples issues are.

Eddie is looking at his team and obviously isn't happy with some of his options in some positions. Taking Scum Half for example, he clearly isn't happy that the players he's looked at, apart from Youngs, are good enough, so he's looking at his options. Are people suggesting he should take player who he doesn't think is good enough, just because they have been "around the squad for the last few seasons"? If they have been selected but haven't made the grade in his opinion, then surely he's justified in not continuing to select them?

People bitched about his support & continued selection of Mike Brown, then when he dropped him, moaned about that too.

I don't agree with a lot of his selections, but then I'm not the England coach.

And all this "players must be really upset if they haven't been selected".... these are young men who have spent most of their life being selected, or not, for squads, at school, for clubs, for districts, counties, regions and countries. If they are upset because a coach doesn't think they are good enough, they would have packed up the game a long time ago.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
No issue with Jones being able to pick who he thinks best - my view (safe on my sofa with no come back) is that England and Jones both wasted the period beyond the first GS and kept playing the same players (in the main) and then a year ago, started to look at new players and ways of playing which seems to have coincided with a lack of ability to change - per Squidge Rugby's YouTube recently

I for one, preferred Brown at fullback! And I think England wasted over 12 months post 2017 6Ns not looking at a wider pool of players and whilst they have every chance in the RWC, could have looked a better team than the one that drew with Scotland

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
is the match being shown on tv?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
Sunday Sky Action
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »
No issue with Jones being able to pick who he thinks best - my view (safe on my sofa with no come back) is that England and Jones both wasted the period beyond the first GS and kept playing the same players (in the main) and then a year ago, started to look at new players and ways of playing which seems to have coincided with a lack of ability to change - per Squidge Rugby's YouTube recently

I for one, preferred Brown at fullback! And I think England wasted over 12 months post 2017 6Ns not looking at a wider pool of players and whilst they have every chance in the RWC, could have looked a better team than the one that drew with Scotland

This!!! Apart from Mike Brown, but EJ hasn't given an alternative time to bed in properly and why Goode has never been given a chance is a mystery too.

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
.. and whilst I'm on my high horse.. don't get me started on Heinz qualifying via an English grandmother. I know its permitted under World Rugby rules but it doesn't make it right.

In my mind far more legitimate reason than residency. At least he has some English blood in him. At least they have raised the residency figure... still not a fan.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »

This!!! Apart from Mike Brown, but EJ hasn't given an alternative time to bed in properly and why Goode has never been given a chance is a mystery too.

With Goode or Brown at FB, you had the opportunity to play a backline analogous to the Lions team. Forwards-wise decent choices, but you also can play 4+ Lions starters plus decent picks elsewhere. Something hasn't gelled over the last year when plan A has gone awry - not clear why - an ex international suggested one factor being Farrell having to do too much as 10 and Capt and goal kicker. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 05:59:07 PM »
Two initial thoughts on how this squad is shaping up. Firstly I didn't want to believe it but Browns exclusion seems to confirm that Jones will be going in with Daly at FB. Daly is a world class winger and a quality centre but he is not good enough defensively for FB and that will cost us points. Secondly I think if Shields doesn't make it the balance of the back row is at risk. Not much has been made of it but I think it is a big blow.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »

With Goode or Brown at FB, you had the opportunity to play a backline analogous to the Lions team. Forwards-wise decent choices, but you also can play 4+ Lions starters plus decent picks elsewhere. Something hasn't gelled over the last year when plan A has gone awry - not clear why - an ex international suggested one factor being Farrell having to do too much as 10 and Capt and goal kicker.

Yeah, I can see why some would prefer Brown at full back, but he's just not my cup of tea. Little pace and a desperate inability to pass when needed, but safe as houses under the high ball and a better defensive option than Daly.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
My thinking was that with Daly and Watson at wing and able and experienced at 15, Brown's defence would be offset by the Lion's wingers! If not him, Goode, but that's all in the past and we'll see Watson and May plus Daly.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »

Yeah, I can see why some would prefer Brown at full back, but he's just not my cup of tea. Little pace and a desperate inability to pass when needed, but safe as houses under the high ball and a better defensive option than Daly.

Daly is a fine player but not at FB, the last line of defence by definition needs a good defender, which ED isn't the best at. I have no doubt Daly will play, in particular, the cannon that is his boot gives England something extra, plus his running game and vision is superb. But.....at FB he falls off tackles and in an England shirt comes off second best on most 50/50 balls in games I have seen. Given the expansive style of SH teams, then a proven and robust FB would be the right option, they tend to pop the ball behind the defence and back themselves (think the last gasp SA try vs. The All Blacks), Brown provides that cover with dogged determination, even if he is advancing in years and is a little bit predictable and selfish. Watson is very injury prone, so we will need good FB cover, so again I would include Brown. However EJ is the coach, this RWC is a make or break series of matches for him, I hope it's a make....
It was fine when I left it.....