Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Mike Brown and Ben Te'o dropped from squad to face Wales  (Read 6572 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Mike Brown and Ben Te'o dropped from squad to face Wales
« on: August 06, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
As have Ben Spencer and Alex Dombrandt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49248300

Don't know why Spencer has been dropped. Willi Heinz appears to be the second and only other scrum half. Dobby must be spitting nails.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Brown and Ben Te'o dropped from squad to face Wales
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »
The whole SH issue is bewildering, Spencer should be a default pick alongside Dobby. However, EJ will persist with Youngs and now it seems Heinz, I am still perplexed by the whole Heinz thing but I have learnt that EJ has favourites and is not for turning. Te'o I agree with being dropped, rarely plays and is clubless. FB is a concern, I am guessing he will either put Watson or Daly there, as well know ED isn't a FB but Watson is injury prone, so that will be a position to watch.

The team apart from the selection of Heinz is largely as expected for me, let's hope EJ doesn't break anyone.
It was fine when I left it.....

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
Dear Eddie

Thanks for the squad announcement.  Some comments if I may:

Cockanasiga, Daly, May, McConnochie and Watson?  Okay.  I like seeing new blood tried, and with the question-mark over Nowell, and with Thorley injured for most of the end of last season, McConnochie is as good a pick as any.  Thanks for sending Brown home.

Francis, Joseph, Marchant, Slade and Tuilagi?  You couldn’t have tried Marchant before now?  Well, maybe that I can forgive, but Piers Francis?  WTF?  I can see why Te’o had been there but Piers Francis!  Really?

Farrell and Ford?  You and I both know who you’re missing there.

Heinz and Youngs?  Did you say, “Heinz and Youngs”?  Did you mean to say, “Robson and Spencer”, or even, “Robson and Youngs”, and it came out wrong?  Heinz and Youngs.  Fcuk!

Genge, Marler and Sinkler?  Yep.  Well done, but tell Rapava Ruskin to stay fit will you?

Cowan-Dickie, George and Singleton?  Okay.

Cole, Vunipola and Williams?  As good as pretty-much any other group of three English-qualified tight heads that includes Vunipola.

Ewels, Itoje, Kruis, Launch’ and Lawes?  I wish I could trust you to know who to send home on Sunday.

Curry, Ludlam, Underhill, Vunipola and Wilson? You’ve surprised me keeping Ludlam over Dombrandt but you’re there and I’m here.  Not that that’s prevented you from making worse decisions than me in the past.  Keep remembering Brad.

Don't break them please.

Hugs & kisses

Chilham

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:31 PM »
I think you'll some of those return for the Cardiff return leg.  I expect to see Heinz start at HQ and Spencer at the Principality.  Almost a shoot out for the position.
The older I get the faster I was....

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
I think you'll some of those return for the Cardiff return leg.  I expect to see Heinz start at HQ and Spencer at the Principality.  Almost a shoot out for the position.

Think EJ is scheduled to name his world cup squad before the return game in Cardiff so apart from any injuries occurring or returning he will just trim a couple of players from this group to get his final 31.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »

Think EJ is scheduled to name his world cup squad before the return game in Cardiff so apart from any injuries occurring or returning he will just trim a couple of players from this group to get his final 31.

Decent summary of final remaining choices here by Angy Goode.

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/one-major-dilemma-left-for-eddie-andy-goode/?__twitter_impression=true

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
I am gobsmacked that players of the talent, and provenability of Robson and Fiver are not even in the squad.

Ah well, I'll be at HQ this weekend to wathc whatever happens thanks to a bit of serendipity. If the weather was looking to be worse I'd be tempted to wear a Wasps hat just because, but I'll stick to the England top and try not to get heatstroke!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »
I am gobsmacked that players of the talent, and provenability of Robson and Fiver are not even in the squad.

Ah well, I'll be at HQ this weekend to wathc whatever happens thanks to a bit of serendipity. If the weather was looking to be worse I'd be tempted to wear a Wasps hat just because, but I'll stick to the England top and try not to get heatstroke!

Going to Cardiff the week after, good value at £100 for a family ticket.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »
I gave up on EJ and England a while back, in terms of hoping to get what was going on, and whilst EJ has forgotten more about rugby than I'll ever know, my thoughts are these.

Watson, great, one of England's best players of recent times, hope he can regain Lions form and at present surely best at wing. Ditto Daly, I know the Lions was a while back, but England could have picked a very "Lions-like" back three and why not? May  - great talent - I'd still want the Lions 2 at wing for all round ability. As for FB, if Daly is there, I'd expect him to be targeted, ditto Joe if he plays - Prem clubs look to his wing for space. A shoe in for 2023, but its 2019 (He'll score a hat trick in the final now!)

13 is well covered, indeed 3 of England's best players are regulars - pick whoever from JJ/Slade/Daly

Pack - nothing to write about, Manu, George, Cole, Sarries SR's, Billy plus two will do

But 9/10/12 WTF?

I can see from the Lions first test why you'd not take Te'O plus durability issues. The ABs and SA don't give a fig how big the 12 is (c.f Lions) they do give one for variety of attack hence Farrell at 12. Manu will not worry them at 12, indeed he's more one of 4 13's in the squad. Farrell at ten - we know what that brings - variety if at 12 with Ford at 10 - inability to change with Farrell at 10

9.....really? If you pick Heinz, surely you pick his club 10?

And the starting 15 that v nearly lost to Scotland in the 6Ns is not far off a starting 15 for the RWC, esp in the backs - Youngs, Farrell, Tuilagi, Slade and back 3 of Daly, May and Nowell.

Probably win at a canter.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
Dear Eddie

Cockanasiga, Daly, May, McConnochie and Watson?  Okay.  I like seeing new blood tried, and with the question-mark over Nowell, and with Thorley injured for most of the end of last season, McConnochie is as good a pick as any.  Thanks for sending Brown home.

Francis, Joseph, Marchant, Slade and Tuilagi?  You couldn’t have tried Marchant before now?  Well, maybe that I can forgive, but Piers Francis?  WTF?  I can see why Te’o had been there but Piers Francis!  Really?

Heinz and Youngs?  Did you say, “Heinz and Youngs”?  Did you mean to say, “Robson and Spencer”, or even, “Robson and Youngs”, and it came out wrong?  Heinz and Youngs.  Fcuk!

Genge, Marler and Sinkler?  Yep.  Well done, but tell Rapava Ruskin to stay fit will you?

Cole, Vunipola and Williams?  As good as pretty-much any other group of three English-qualified tight heads that includes Vunipola.

Ewels, Itoje, Kruis, Launch’ and Lawes?  I wish I could trust you to know who to send home on Sunday.

Curry, Ludlam, Underhill, Vunipola and Wilson? You’ve surprised me keeping Ludlam over Dombrandt but you’re there and I’m here.  Not that that’s prevented you from making worse decisions than me in the past.  Keep remembering Brad.

Don't break them please.

Hugs & kisses

Chilham

Eddie would probably respond saying that someone who thinks Sinckler is a loose head and Vunipolaa tighthead, is not in a position to comment :p

Though i agree with a fair bit of it.

Francis has looked probably one of the best 12s England has used since twelvetrees and Eastmond.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »
I thought Francis looked awful....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:24:23 PM »

Compared to Farrell? Loz? Teo?

He at least offers a rounded game. He's by no means great, but for me he's better than a lot of other options that Eddie has been using.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
Dear Eddie

Don't break them please.

Hugs & kisses

Chilham

Eddie would probably respond saying that someone who thinks Sinckler is a loose head and Vunipolaa tighthead, is not in a position to comment :p...

Doh!  Serve me to post something after a liquid lunch.  Me a former prop as well!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »

Compared to Farrell? Loz? Teo?

He at least offers a rounded game. He's by no means great, but for me he's better than a lot of other options that Eddie has been using.

Each to their own.

I'd take all of those plus a handful of other prem 12's over Francis.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 11:27:11 PM »
To be fair, swapping LH and THs is exactly the sort of selection I would expect of Eddie next. I mean, if Itoje and Lawes can play 6, and Daly is a fifteen with Brown a winger then anything is possible.....nothing would surprise me apart from picking Cipriani.