Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Why Malakai Fekitoa is ready to 'smash' the challenge at Wasps  (Read 4003 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Why Malakai Fekitoa is ready to 'smash' the challenge at Wasps
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Bobby Bridge Interview:

Former Highlanders, Toulon and New Zealand World Cup winner will team up with Lima Sopoaga this season

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/malakai-fekitoa-wasps-new-zealand-16876385
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why Malakai Fekitoa is ready to 'smash' the challenge at Wasps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
Good interview

I think we'll have a better chance of seeing the best of the team with Brad and Lima having done that season and Jimmy being back in the squad too. I think that Brookes will step up further and with a little injury luck (surely can't be worse..) and players like Watson keen to show what we know he can do, we have every prospect of some great rugby.

Can't wait to be honest. We've got the prospect of a dangerous pack with a great front row and lots of back row rotation possible. Be good to see the younger players slotting in amongst the real stars in the senior squad too

The best thing will be the ability - if injuries are less unkind - to rotate players so burn out doesn't negate performance. I really felt for Mike Le B with Jimmy injured and a new FH having to step up physically and mentally too quickly and for too long. Be good to see him this season under less pressure.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
Yes, agree with all of that Mike909. We also don't have many at the World Cup so we should hit the ground running. Forwards look really good, especially back row. What I'm not certain about yet is what will happen in the centres. We have two good options at 13 in MF and JDJ. At 12 I'm assuming JG is first choice but that will be compromised if either Sopoaga or Gopperth get injured. I guess we'll have MLB backing up and the possibility of De Jongh filling in. Overall I think we're in far better shape than last year though.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
Don't forget Ross Neal who was good at the start of the season only falling off because of injury.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
Yep - forgot Ross - again , I did think he did ok last season when fit - good prospect

Hi Shugs - I'm hoping for the 10/12/13 positions that we look to Lima to take responsibility with Jimmy providing some on field "coaching" for him and Jacob U perhaps and our new centre having a chance off the bench in early games with some clarity on rotation. First choice 13 probably most difficult to predict - de J has been excellent - I'd hope Mike le B also gets more time at 12. But as an old prop...I'll leave the details to others!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »
The only downer is that Lima does not appear to have trained much preseason, due to injury. It would have been really exciting to see him and Malakai in tandem from the off.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
The only downer is that Lima does not appear to have trained much preseason, due to injury. It would have been really exciting to see him and Malakai in tandem from the off.

It would be very nice to have an All Black 10/12....very nice!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »
I suspect this won't happen this season, but I do wonder about Lima going to 12, with Billy and Jacob the 10's

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
I am looking forward to us playing attacking, try scoring rugby again. We have gas in many important positions- especially our new backs- and I toowant to see what Lima can do. The new arrivals are exciting. Four tries a game please.Contrary to popular belief I don't think our injuries were much worse than many clubs last year, they were just in important positions in a season where we no longer had the best ten in the league who was integral to our previous performances and style. Our squad was fragile and vulnerable if key players went down. Hopefully this squad will be more resilient to injuries to key players by having more depth.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
I suspect this won't happen this season, but I do wonder about Lima going to 12, with Billy and Jacob the 10's
I have been banging on about this for a while. Lima is a ten who likes to sit back and direct - like Jimmy who was an excellent 12 for us.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
I have been banging on about this for a while. Lima is a ten who likes to sit back and direct - like Jimmy who was an excellent 12 for us.

So we push an AB 10 to 12 because he isn't good enough at 10 or because we don't have a decent 12 outside of Jimmy?

I'm not sure his defence is sound enough to be a 12, he needs to earn his coin at 10 instead of using his time at Wasps as a mechanism to travel around Europe enjoying himself. 500k will get you a top rate 12, not a second rate shoe in. I cut him as much slack as I could last season which was quiet a lot less than others are offering him.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
Just seen a note from Bobby Bridge that Malakai has picked up a knock and is hors combat for a couple of weeks.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
"So we push an AB 10 to 12 because he isn't good enough at 10 or because we don't have a decent 12 outside of Jimmy?"

Fair point, my thinking was more following the success of Jimmy at 12 and that the team seems to play best with two 10s. Both Jimmy and Lima seem similar players to me, they seem to like running into contact or passing back whereas Jacob and Billy seem to play faster and flatter. Plus I like the experienced players supporting the younger players.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
I think Jimmy is the exception rather than the rule.

This season I am hoping for what I was expecting first time round with Lima. Searle i'm still not overly convinced about, Jacob looked good in the A's, not sure how or when it'll translate.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
I think we'll see a different Lima this year. He was coming straight out of a SH season last year and the backs as a whole were like s revolving door. Plus he'll have JG outside him at 12 this year. I don't think he'd cut it at 12 and I do think he's the best 10 we have.