Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eng v Fra reportedly off  (Read 8454 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Eng v Fra reportedly off
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
I'd have been as equally annoyed about us being in a position where we were at risk of not making it through because of a large loss.

Scotland put themselves in a position of needing a good win against Japan ( the best team in this pool so far), not world rugby.

Playing pool games on different days screws with rest and recovery times hugely. I'm happy for them not to be rescheduled.

Played in a different location perhaps, but that's multiple games needing to be moved and played, and you can't do just one not others. It's a ludicrously huge undertaking, especially when there are parties that have no interest in doing so.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »
Yes the teams that needed something going in to the final round of games put themselves in that situation. But that is precisely what group rugby is. You end up where you end up after the full quota of games and you could recover your situation in the final game. For me you just can't have a scenario where the opportunities are not equal for all and try and pretend the tournament retains its merit. That level playing field of opportunity and circumstances is now so badly skewed that for me the whole thing has now a hollow feel about it - which will be a shame for whoever wins it.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
Rossm, ypu're not Scottish by any chance, eh?

What if a team gets hit by food poisoning at their hotel?  Rescedule their game?  Where would it all end?

Scotland are entitled, IMHO, to lament the outcome but not to bleat about rules they signed up too.

I agree the rules need to be examined in the cool light of day for the future.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
Considering that Japan has these events relatively often, and they are relatively localised, it is surprising that they have no alternative venue regulations, rather than actual plan, in place. I was happy Japan had the event,but I am sorry now and hope that it never goes there again.
It is not beyond the wit of humanity  to write in a regulation saying that group matches may be moved to an alternative venue and played within two days of the scheduled event if a match is cancelled due to weather, and I cannot believe that a country famed for its ability to get back on its feet after natural disasters could not logistically do it.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 01:50:25 PM »
I am simply baffled that there is no actual contingency plan, other than cancellation, for this kind of happening. I think the SRU are fully entitled to consider legal action. World Rugby have screwed the pooch with this.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »
Equal for all would mean relocating all games.

This is typhoon season, but this is a once in a lifetime typhoon. They don't have these regularly. It's absolutely massive, far far larger than normal. Normal contingency plans will not help.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2019, 04:54:12 PM »
Normal contingency plans will not help.

But were there actually any contingency plans at all - other than cancellation of course?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
Yes i believe they were. But plans probably didn't include the most powerful typhoon to make landfall in Japan and it being 1500km across. Causing thousands of cancelled flights and 7 million being advised to evacuate.

This is the biggest typhoon to ever hit. Just look at the satellite pictures.  Just to add to the fun there was an earthquake too and the storm surge looks likely to coincide with high tide.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
And a storm surge in Yokohoma, a coastal city, could cause a mass of damage to the transport systems

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
Yes they were right to call these games off. There was no choice. Has it wrecked the tournament? Yes it has.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
How has it wrecked the tournament? The only game with anything serious riding on it hasn't been cancelled yet, and Japan would be worthy quarter finalists regardless.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 11:12:04 PM »
How do we, or you know there would have been more than bleating from EJ?

Use your imagination.

I would imagine EJ would have been furious and I would imagine he would complain.  But I don’t know.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
As someone who was situated on the edges of the Typhoon who missed out on a trip to Yokohama I am reasonably happy that my life wasn’t put at risk along with Mrs H. Decisions were made early enough for most games for supporters to make other arrangements. This tournament has not been ruined, no team with a valid chance of qualification has missed out. This was a devastating Typhoon for many hundreds of thousands of people and a few Rugby supporters have been inconvenienced. Luckily for me I stayed in my hotel room almost all day yesterday with biblical proportions of rain falling outside..... Today the sun was shining and we played golf, the course in amazing condition after 36 hours of continuous rain. Life continues for us but not many unfortunate souls in places we have already visited on our visit. Yes I maybe out of pocket to the tune of £600 but that’s why I have holiday insurance. Looking forward to returning to Blighty on Wednesday and getting back to domestic Rugby, see you all on Sunday at the Ricoh 😄😄

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
How has it wrecked the tournament? The only game with anything serious riding on it hasn't been cancelled yet, and Japan would be worthy quarter finalists regardless.
How can that be right? How do we know France wouldn't have beaten England? We can't just say "Japan are worthy so it's ok" (and thankfully that game went ahead). I'm not saying anything could be done given the rarity of the storm but equally with all games not played it can't be argued that the course of the tournament hasn't been altered. Anyway - on we go to the quarters - let's see what happens there.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
Both France and England would qualify regardless of the result of their game. Ok, different quarter finalist opponents but still need to win 3 knockout games.