Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salary Cap Latest. Has the Investigation Sprung a Leak?  (Read 7614 times)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Cap Latest. Has the Investigation Sprung a Leak?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:54:02 PM »
Article still seems very non-committal with all the potential options being listed.

It does appear that something is about to happen to Sarries and I believe that they should face heavy sanctions, to maintain the integrity of the cap- especially where clubs like Carnegie and Welsh have had financial problems trying to catch up to the big boys.

If the cap is held, the playing field is fairer and clubs are allowed to grow safely, alongside the CVC money

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »

Didn't Billy's dad coach at high Wycombe Rugby club.

Their dad coached at Marlow Rugby Club.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 08:15:28 AM »
Surprised at any form of leak. Apparently the meeting to inform all chairmen is tomorrow so it would have to have come from the investigators or possibly PRL. I can see years of legal though.

Don't forget that someone (people) would have had to type all the notes and recommendations up, made multiple copies, converted into PDF for email purposes (for journalists to consume - well the ones that can be bothered) so its quite possible that the leak hasn't come from the PRL or arbitration board, it may have been leaked by someone much further down the food chain who may be a genuine rugby fan who just so happens to have been involved in the investigation at an admin level.

Has it been confirmed that the announcement will be made today or is it just that there is a PRL club owners meeting today?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »

Didn't Billy's dad coach at high Wycombe Rugby club.

Their dad coached at Marlow Rugby Club.

According to an article in one of the papers at the time he was also employed by Sarries in a scouting role.

However thinking about the ongoing controversy it could be that employment was a way of circumventing.... no that would never happen.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
Surprised at any form of leak. Apparently the meeting to inform all chairmen is tomorrow so it would have to have come from the investigators or possibly PRL. I can see years of legal though.

Don't forget that someone (people) would have had to type all the notes and recommendations up, made multiple copies, converted into PDF for email purposes (for journalists to consume - well the ones that can be bothered) so its quite possible that the leak hasn't come from the PRL or arbitration board, it may have been leaked by someone much further down the food chain who may be a genuine rugby fan who just so happens to have been involved in the investigation at an admin level.

Has it been confirmed that the announcement will be made today or is it just that there is a PRL club owners meeting today?

Meeting today. Only rumours announcement to public is tomorrow.
Given Gloucester's links with the Mail something could appear overnight on the webby thing.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
IF found guilty and a 35 point reduction, will Sarries be able to play the full squad, which is surely cheating again.

How would Sarries determine which players can be part of the squad for the coming season, will some players not be able to play this season.

I do feel for Sarries supporters on one hand but then how naive can you be 

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
If what I have heard is anywhere near the truth, then they will have a few problems.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »
Obviously someone with a vested interest is keeping the topic alive via the DM. Interestingly its not the normal rugby correspondent (is it Foy?) who is covering the story but someone else.

I think a lot of rugby writers are steering clear of the rumours/investigation for fear of putting someone's nose out of joint, be that Sarries/Wray or the other 12 PRL clubs.

Then agan they've all been too busy with the WC.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
Your last point closer to the mark some of the senior reporters are not back yet. However, I do think they are all steering clear until clarity is given. With the Mail it is an investigations team rather than their rugby lads. I suspect Foye was given a steer by somebody high up in the donkeys as has happened for a few years now.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »
The amount of time and energy supporters put into the Salarycens narrative..I'm not trying to stifle it but the reality is that they have and always will remain untouchable. For all the scenario's, guesswork, rumours..

Slice it, dice it and wrap it in what ever narrative you like, this amount, that amount but but but... Salary cap mandate aside, everyone knows they gain an advantage over everyone else via
 financial dopoing, cheating, not cheating...its all the same outcome whether it  within or outside of this law. We know it, their supporters know it, the public know it.
I reluctantly accept it as much as I accept the lack of outcome. Other than this contribution, I refuse to spend another second on them and their sanctimonious supporters.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
The amount of time and energy supporters put into the Salarycens narrative..I'm not trying to stifle it but the reality is that they have and always will remain untouchable. For all the scenario's, guesswork, rumours..

Slice it, dice it and wrap it in what ever narrative you like, this amount, that amount but but but... Salary cap mandate aside, everyone knows they gain an advantage over everyone else via
 financial dopoing, cheating, not cheating...its all the same outcome whether it  within or outside of this law. We know it, their supporters know it, the public know it.
I reluctantly accept it as much as I accept the lack of outcome. Other than this contribution, I refuse to spend another second on them and their sanctimonious supporters.

But the point is they shouldn't be. It is supposed to be a level playing field. If it is not then why buy season tickets and/or subscribe to BT.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
Saracens being guilty of breaching the salary ceiling causes as many problems for the Premiership top dogs as it does for Saracens. And also for the players who must know that they have been "conspiring" with their employers to breach the cap.
What sanctions can the Premiership impose?
- Require Saracens to repay their winnings over the last few seasons? And the same for the European Cup wins?
- Require Saracens to reduce the salary and other payments in whatever kind that have been made to breach the cap? Difficult but not impossible for the players to fight that in the courts. They can't say, as Redknapp did, "I didn't understand".
- Impose a points penalty - and not just for one season? That may be the "easiest" action. That seems to have been accepted in foot-ball where clubs have not provided their accounts on time or have been existing with no formal accounts presented or tax and other bills unpaid. The reverse of the Saracens situation
- Ban them from the European Cup for a couple of seasons? 
- Ban the signing of new players for a couple of seasons? That has happened in the foot-ball game.
- Require Wray to resign and sell his stake in the club? He can't stay if he has been leading the inappropriate development of new businesses for new & old players.

Several very large swamps potentially.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
F (Vinnie) Vunipola has indeed coached at both H Wycombe, before moving to Marlow. He also played for both clubs whilst coaching.

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

Meeting today. Only rumours announcement to public is tomorrow.
Given Gloucester's links with the Mail something could appear overnight on the webby thing.

Sorry to disappoint but Gloucester have no links with the Mail.  They've only picked up on tweets from young Walkinshaw former chairman
The older I get the faster I was....