Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Statement  (Read 6704 times)

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Statement
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
I'm gutted that Dai has gone, he's done so so much for this club. After the initial success of the move to Coventry the last couple of years have eerily reminded me as a former Leeds Utd fan of what happened all those years ago to them. Too much money being spent assuming year on year success which then proved elusive followed by severe belt tightening which proved almost impossible to control. I'm obv surmising heavily here but the parallels are spooky for me.

There was a comment somewhere that Dai's recruitment plans were a bone of contention, I'm guessing because the budget is extremely tight. The players he's had to work with recently haven't been of the same quality, although we do have some good youngsters coming through at last, which does bode well. If the board wanted rid because they expected better results from our existing squad then I'd say that was harsh, I'd argue that no one could get our current squad into the top four. All just my opinion of course.

Thanks Dai for all you've done for Wasps over the years. We've seen some fabulous rugby in your time as well as tough times. You also have people's respect for being a thoroughly decent bloke. Good luck in the future.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »
If the board wanted rid because they expected better results from our existing squad then I'd say that was harsh, I'd argue that no one could get our current squad into the top four. All just my opinion of course.

What if the board had asked Dai who he needed to recruit to keep us in the top 4, and Dai had replied "Get me Lima Sopoaga and Brad Shields and I'll keep us in the top 4"? Dai built this squad. And it's not completely bargain basement.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
I would agree with both statements in a way. We are not a bargain basement squad, but there have been significant areas of weakness exposed with minimal injuries, and we are short of the 2017 squad.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »
Agreed trev..Dai's had access to the best talent in the world and we have been lucky to have them. Financial assumptions are rife, the only fact we have is that it's time to move on.
Wish him all the best, he will be a legend without doubt.

asteriskszegol

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »
The measure of the man is that he still, apparently, continues to attend the matches, despite everything. Though I guess it would also mean goodbye to YY, and the break-up of the one combination on the field where we really can say that we lead the league currently, I really hope a return to Wales with the Ospreys is on the cards for him. Ffarwel a phob lwc, Dai! (As they say on Google Translate..)   

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »
Not much, who's April?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 05:50:52 PM »
Dai's wife.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
Dai's wife.

And a really nice woman - very easy to chat to.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm gutted that Dai has gone, he's done so so much for this club. After the initial success of the move to Coventry the last couple of years have eerily reminded me as a former Leeds Utd fan of what happened all those years ago to them.

I was a regular at Elland Road in the late '60s and early '70s before Army service took me off and I didn't get there much after that, 1974 was my last game. I was down in the Falkland for the war when the news came through in '82 that they'd been relegated, I didn't really have time to worry about it but was gutted for a while.

I still keep an occasional eye on how their doing but as I stopped being interested in soccer in the late '90s/2000s It is very occasional.