Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Press Notes from Lee Blackett  (Read 4376 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Press Notes from Lee Blackett
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
Press Conference Notes.

Wasps Interim Head Coach Lee Blackett spoke to the media ahead of Friday night's Gallagher Premiership clash with Saracens at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 7.45pm).

Here’s what he had to say:

On Dai Young

For me personally he obviously brought me to the Club. I’ll never forget that. He has his loyalty to his staff and through difficult times he was good to speak to.
Anyone who spends nine years at a Club should go down as a legend and he should go down as a Wasps Legend. He’s been through some tough times but also taken us to some big occasions.
He’s done fantastic for the Club but now we have to move on and make sure we get something out of this season.

On Leicester Tigers performance

I feel like we’d been moving in the right direction – obviously in the three games before that we’d scored three try-bonus points but a couple of bounces of the ball and a couple of things that didn’t go our way last weekend and we would’ve won.
It was far from a complete performance. The first-half I thought we were really good inside our own half. We exited well but when we got down there, our end product wasn’t good enough. We kicked the ball away too much. We kicked them down there, we turned it over and we kicked it away again and that’s not really us and not how we want to play.
We probably tried to manage the game a bit too much, especially in the first-half. In the second-half, where we led 9-3, their maul got on top for the next 20 minutes and that hurt us with the try.
Then you look at a couple of big moments – we drop the ball over the line and then a couple of minutes later, we get a lineout in their 22, we put a play out and make a poor decision and (Telusa) Veainu picks it up and goes the length.

On Tom Youngs incident with Will Rowlands

The TMO didn’t see it but we can’t moan. We still had ways of winning that game and unfortunately we couldn’t do it.

On playing Saracens in first Friday night Premiership game at Ricoh Arena

It’s different. That’s the big thing – Friday Night Lights – we’re massively excited for it at The Ricoh and hopefully we can put in a performance.
They were really good last weekend against Sale (Sharks), they managed the game really well so it’ll be a big challenge but hopefully one we will rise to.

Injury/team news

Simon McIntyre (groin) is a doubt for this week. It’ll be a late call.
Malakai Fekitoa (knee) has started training so he’ll be back in contention.
Ashley Johnson (ankle) should be back towards the back end of the week.
Tom Cruse (calf) we’ll have to assess later in the week.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Press Notes from Lee Blackett
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
Later in the week? We announce the team in just over 24 hour's time.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
Fair analysis of the game - a good optimistic pressie by the sound of it - I hope the player leadership team (senior players) can help get the squad to move on as looking back will be counter productive.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
Sadly, won't Joe be away? I suspect, off the field, he is a major motivator for the team.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »
Be interesting to see what Blackett does re Sopoaga. For me he starts.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 12:50:18 PM »

Well he wasn't in the 23 last week when Blackett picked the team.

Sting

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
"We kicked the ball away too much. We kicked them down there, we turned it over and we kicked it away again and that’s not really us and not how we want to play."

so why did we do it Mr Blackett? ???

I just wish Dai had stayed, got in a new Head Coach, and had a good shake up.

Coaches need shaking up, players need motivating and retaining, and having co-captains needs to be binned.

imho....(minor rant over...sorry)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »

Well he wasn't in the 23 last week when Blackett picked the team.

Despite saying he was fit, he’s not been fit for a fair few weeks and may have wanted an extra week to get up to match sharpness

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
Saw on Instagram that De Jongh had some form of surgery yesterday so could be out for a while, not sure what his original injury was

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
Just reading that Umaga has been released by England so he may be an option.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
I thought Robbo, Gopps and Umaga played the territory game very well in the first half, I hope Blackett didn't tell them to play more phases in the 2nd half during the break in that weather as that would also of been a contributing factor to our defeat.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »
So Umaga to start and Sops on the bench, or other way round?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »

Against the EAs I would start Lima, with Jacob to come in as an impact player. I would leave Searle out of it altogether, as I am not convinced of his quality since he returned from injury. With JdJ out then we need Fekitoa to be back with Jimmy at 12. MLB was ineffective vs Tigers and the EAs will be a handful in midfield, more so than Tigers. I would perhaps start Vailanu at 8 against his old club and put Carr on the bench.

It will be interesting to see of Blackett is radical, or as is more likely does more of the same with minor tweaks for injured starters from last weekend.,
It was fine when I left it.....

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »

Against the EAs I would start Lima, with Jacob to come in as an impact player. I would leave Searle out of it altogether, as I am not convinced of his quality since he returned from injury. With JdJ out then we need Fekitoa to be back with Jimmy at 12. MLB was ineffective vs Tigers and the EAs will be a handful in midfield, more so than Tigers. I would perhaps start Vailanu at 8 against his old club and put Carr on the bench.

It will be interesting to see of Blackett is radical, or as is more likely does more of the same with minor tweaks for injured starters from last weekend.,
Get out my brain please.

Exactly my thoughts. Would also add that I like Watson at 15 and would hope ZZ gets a start.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm not sure we have much by way of change anyway, certainly no one that isn't much of the same.
If Basset could kick i'd play him at FB as he's our best catcher and lets face it, it'll raining balls down all game..vertical tennis.