Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EA Game Thread  (Read 19177 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EA Game Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
Great highlights, looking forward to seeing the full game.

And what about TTs pass for the 3rd try? Is he audition for a 9 or 10 spot?

Edit: I see I wasn't the only one to spot that, comments passed in posting

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
Great highlights, looking forward to seeing the full game.

And what about TTs pass for the 3rd try? Is he audition for a 9 or 10 spot?

Edit: I see I wasn't the only one to spot that, comments passed in posting

8)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2020, 11:05:12 AM »
Not mentioned, and how did BB only gave him a 7 compared to rest of team in his player ratings, was Bertie.

That take from Jacobs sublime kick was superb.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »
Not mentioned, and how did BB only gave him a 7 compared to rest of team in his player ratings, was Bertie.

That take from Jacobs sublime kick was superb.

Agree that the score could’ve been more generous but he was the quietest back (mainly due to lack of ball getting to him) bit whenever he did get the ball he did something really good with it. Back to the Bass of last season- looks like the time out the starting squad has rejuvenated him.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
wow, was the game real  :o ? Finally this season is not too bad!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
'wow, was the game real  :o ? Finally this season is not too bad!'

When he was good he was very good indeed ; But when he was bad he was horrid.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
Someone was talking about Robson looking slow last game (2 games ago?), he didn't struggle to keep up with Kibirige, gliding past Lewington.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
Indeed, Robson looked back on top of his game on Friday. His kicks were also good.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
@backdoc
Thank you so much for the explanation. I did have the opportunity to watch the full game. I just saw the second half. I agree there was some bad parts with too many failed tackles. What the bad parts of the first half so bad?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
From the Telegraph

Unfancied Wasps swat away sorry Saracens

Saracens' director of rugby says there were 'no positives' in his team's heaviest ever Premiership defeat

Wasps 60 Saracens 10
This was a showing of utmost grit. Wasps hosted Saracens after a week in which their longstanding director of rugby left the club. No one fancied Wasps, but they were not banking on the hosts playing the best rugby of their season, scoring eight tries, and the disgraced champions, missing their England internationals, delivering what was surely the worst performance in their history.

Despite the warm din that echoed around the arena in the ninth-minute applause saluting the departed Dai Young, Wasps' supporters had not exactly come in their droves to the fixture, and who could blame them? Before tonight, Wasps were a meandering motley crew who had lost three of their last ten matches. They had not beaten Saracens since May 2017 and the Friday night kick-off – the first ever at the Ricoh – might also have dissuaded some of the club’s London-based faithful.

After a laborious, niggly start, it seemed as if the fans had made the right decision to stay at home on a blustery night in Coventry. But when Wasps began to tick - and it did not take long - those in attendance were treated to a performance that they will savour for many a year.

Mark McCall, Saracens' director of rugby, said there were "no positives" in his side's heaviest ever Premiership defeat.

“It was a hugely disappointing performance, almost the opposite of last week. No area of our game was up to scratch. I am not sure what else to say.”

Jimmy Gopperth, who kicked faultlessly all evening, put Wasps into an early lead before the barrage began. The stupendous Jack Willis barrel-rolled over, before a scintillating score put Wasps firmly in control.

Thibaud Flament flicked the deftest offload to Willis, before the openside flanker sent Jacob Umaga, who is maturing into a fly-half of the highest quality, streaking towards the posts, offloading to Nizaam Carr just before the line.

Despite similar personnel on show, it was a shadow of the Saracens performance that put Sale to the sword last week. Wasps were ghosting defenders at will, and the visitors barely built more than three phases in attack. And Wasps, to their credit, were ruthless.

When the first of many Saracens attacks collapsed, Malakai Fekitoa was the beneficiary. He weaved and scythed before a looping pass sent Zach Kibirige over in the corner.

The torment would not stop. Kibirige swept up a sloppy pass to sprint away for Wasps’ bonus-point score before half time. Saracens captain Brad Barritt limped off, too, and if there had been even a scintilla of life in the visitors, they might have been stunned. Ali Crossdale’s score on the stroke of half time barely dented the deficit.

“This performance had been building,” said Wasps interim head coach Lee Blackett. “We had a good conversation last Sunday [after the Leicester match] and we talked about trying to impose our game on the opposition. Our intent to attack was really good and I’m really pleased.” 

Saracens’ day would get worse still when Alex Lewington was sent to the sin bin for a needless deliberate knock-on. Wasps exploited the missing man perfectly; Umaga’s cross-field kick allowed Brad Shields to touch down.

Wasps continued to twist the dagger. Umaga got on the end of another Kibirige burst before Shields added a second after Watson broke clear. Gabriel Oghre added Wasps’ eighth, but Saracens were already on the bus home by then. Not even a late Lewington score could spare their embarrassment.

Match details
Scoring sequence: 3-0 Gopperth pen, 8-0 Willis try, 10-0 Gopperth con, 15-0 Carr try, 17-0 Gopperth con, 22-0 Kibirige try, 24-0 Gopperth con, 29-0 Kibirige try, 31-0 Gopperth con, 31-5 Crossdale try; 34-5 Gopperth pen, 39-5 Shields try, 41-5 Gopperth con, 46-5 Umaga try, 48-5 Gopperth con, 53-5 Shields try, 55-5 Gopperth con, 55-10 Lewington try, 60-10 Oghre try.

Wasps: Watson, Kibirige, Fekitoa, Gopperth, Bassett, Umaga, Robson, Harris, Taylor, Alo, Matthews, Flament, Shields, Willis, Carr.
Replacements: Oghre, West, Toomaga-Allen, Cardall, Morris, Porter, Sopoaga, Le Bourgeois.
Saracens: Goode, Crossdale, Taylor, Barritt, Lewington, M. Vunipola, Whiteley, Barrington, Singleton, Koch, Kpoku, Hunter-Hill, Isiekwe, S. Reffell, Wray.
Replacements: Woolstencroft, Carre, Ibuanokpe, Christie, Pifeleti, Spencer, Morris, Obatoyinbo.
Sin bin: Lewington (43).
Referee: Christophe Ridley.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2020, 12:25:50 PM »
Davidabricot

I quoted a line from a well known English poem - it sums up our season!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:30 PM »
Just finished watching the full game, what an absolute delight.

Most interesting stat for me was when Shields scored - "2nd Try in 16 Premiership matches".

Only 16. I know he was away with England, not just injured, but not really a good enough return to my mind for the money.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »
Just finished watching the full game, what an absolute delight.

Most interesting stat for me was when Shields scored - "2nd Try in 16 Premiership matches".

Only 16. I know he was away with England, not just injured, but not really a good enough return to my mind for the money.

I said that when it appeared. Really not enough return for bucks! Could only improve if he stayed (and playing like that he is welcome).
Let me tell you something cucumber