Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie Barbeary and Will Simmonds Promoted to First Team Squad  (Read 5105 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie Barbeary and Will Simmonds Promoted to First Team Squad
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
I am delighted with this, the approach Wasps are taking is 'bang on' develop great academy product and pull it into the main squad. I am sure rugby will be reset post the pandemic, it will have to be. Wasps seem to be ahead of the game and the starstruck approach of clubs such as Sale and Bristol will come under pressure and increased scrutiny, as the inevitable changes take effect. I was sceptical about Lee, however he seems to be moving things in the right direction. Super excited to see Barbeary in the Premiership, he will be a nightmare for opposing teams to play against.
It was fine when I left it.....

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
The Ogre and the Barbarian at No. 2

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
Be interested to see how Barbury translates in the mans game, he won't be able to bully himself around the park like he does now...so you'd think

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
I am delighted with this, the approach Wasps are taking is 'bang on' develop great academy product and pull it into the main squad. I am sure rugby will be reset post the pandemic, it will have to be. Wasps seem to be ahead of the game and the starstruck approach of clubs such as Sale and Bristol will come under pressure and increased scrutiny, as the inevitable changes take effect. I was sceptical about Lee, however he seems to be moving things in the right direction. Super excited to see Barbeary in the Premiership, he will be a nightmare for opposing teams to play against.

Real organic growth, building on last years promotions to the senior squad. Well done wasps. Unlike Tigers, who appear to be in srious meltdown - their CEO went today.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 02:47:52 AM »
This is huge for Barbeary coming up after only a short time out of school and good for us to tie him down. was playing well apparently in the championship but obviously with this season being as it has been he has not played much rugby since school really. Great achievement and looking forward to seeing how he progresses, should be on for England one day.
Believe Simmonds has played more at 12 for us recently in the A League etc than at 15 where I think he played for most of his u18 rugby.
Also great news for Charlie Atkinson, shows the class that this lad has too and the faith the club has in him with him just about to leave school, now training with the big boys Every day.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 10:14:45 AM »
Simmonds has been playing a centre a lot, but that versatility and ability to play 15 is interesting. I wonder if he becomes the long-term option there? Has to be said, we've flailed around a bit since WLR. Watson doesn't convince me at 15.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
Depends on whether Lima or Minozzi are seen as "long term" answers.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »
Argh, what a klutz, I'd forgotten about Minozzi......

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
Argh, what a klutz, I'd forgotten about Minozzi......
What does that tell ya

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »
Watching Simonds vs Newcastle at the moment, Nottingham have uploaded the game on youtube (not great quality unfortunately).

Looks very good at taking it to the line and passing. Need to see more of his defence though. Definitely a Wasps sort of attacking 12 from the little I've seen.

Twickwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2020, 10:50:12 PM »
Interesting perceptions on Barbeary and playing well in the champ- he’s played once.
Where’s he been this year?
He came out of school, got sent off in 20 seconds for England u20 and (I think) has played one game since then.

He looked very good playing for school but it seems it’s potential at the moment.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:25 PM »
I know he's been injured. Not sure what.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
The A team games that were streamed, Simmonds looked a step ahead at 12- was very impressed. Think we should be looking to him as the long term solution at 12.

May suggest that Gopperth might not be around too much longer but hopefully a year or 2 more with Gopps before he moves into the coaching team would be a perfect scenario