Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP - Interesting  (Read 5750 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP - Interesting
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 11:32:47 AM »
This news suggests Rowlands is being released or Jamma is not back to where he should be?

If that’s the case I’d prefer an out and out second row forward.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
This news suggests Rowlands is being released or Jamma is not back to where he should be?

If that’s the case I’d prefer an out and out second row forward.

If it's a young lock, a lot of them start out getting time playing in the backrow, just like Flament, Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje etc.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
I don't think we're anywhere near the cap. Think we had quite a bit of headroom. That's an interesting list Marleywasp. Some good players in there. As you say there are also a lot of SA locks scattered around the world but I have a feeling it will be someone from their own teams as we could probably better their wages.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
I don't think we're anywhere near the cap. Think we had quite a bit of headroom. That's an interesting list Marleywasp. Some good players in there. As you say there are also a lot of SA locks scattered around the world but I have a feeling it will be someone from their own teams as we could probably better their wages.

Hopefully somebody with a bit of the "nasty" about them - not a dirty penalty magnet but a bit more like a BBB.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »
Yes, I think we've missed his type. We definitely need some extra ballast as well with WR going.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
BBB?

Big Bouncing Brenda?

Who would I rather have.. a Matt Symons lump or Flament?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
Both

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Random guess based on nothing more than i was reading an article on Montpelier and some salary cap issues, Jacques du Plessis.

Seems like a cracking player and i would love to sign him purely based on his nickname being 'The Sheep'.. just a fantastic name  ;D

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »
BBB?

Big Bouncing Brenda?

Who would I rather have.. a Matt Symons lump or Flament?

Sorry, just realised I replied to the wrong comment!!!

BBB = Big Bad Brad (Davies)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
Clearly not from the Top 4 reference, but would be mightily funny if it was Saracens.  Again.

I'd be very surprised if it was Bristol or Saints.  The latter have been pretty quiet on the Salary Cap issue, but never looked to be over at any point based on their squad.  For Bristol, they look to be over the most based on some of the rumoured salaries for their squad and their signings.  However, Pat Lam gave an interview on The Rugby Pod where he was explicit in saying that any breach of the cap would land squarely on his shoulders; he's supportive of it and takes an active role in making sure the squad fit in the cap.

I'd be equally surprised if it was us in any meaningful other than a nuanced oversight like Haskell not being picked in the EPS and VAT on agent fees.  We've been vocal in the cap being important as well as suggestions we're well under the cap (by Dai earlier in the year).  I think Vaughan/Eastwood have since said we spend up to the cap, or as much as we can - however you want to interpret that (i.e. up to the cap because that's cap and so we can, or as much as we can as in it's within our budget which is lower than the cap).

Chiefs have been extremely vocal, so it would be so daft for them to be over the cap or doing something untoward.  You'd think they'd want to be squeaky clean at the moment. 

For me, i'd say it'd most likely be Sale or Bath.   Be interesting to see what comes of it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
My money is on either Bristle or Sale, so it's probably neither.  How lovely if it was both.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
I wouldn't shed a tear if it was Sale, I find Mr Diamond a thoroughly unlikable chap.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
I wouldn't shed a tear if it was Sale, I find Mr Diamond a thoroughly unlikable chap.

Steve Diamond has done a tremendous job with Sale on a limited budget up till now.

He is good with his waifs and strays; plays better rugby than many teams ( eg Exeter): gets his teams fired up and he appears popular with his squad.

I think players know where they stand with him and realise they don’t want to get on the wrong side of him.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

Steve Diamond has done a tremendous job with Sale on a limited budget up till now.

He is good with his waifs and strays; plays better rugby than many teams ( eg Exeter): gets his teams fired up and he appears popular with his squad.

I think players know where they stand with him and realise they don’t want to get on the wrong side of him.

Yes but his boss Mr Orange has been quoted as saying he can get around the cap. They are prime candidates if only for a shot across the Orange bows. Still think Lam doth protest too much about being under.