Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Refs not consistent so far  (Read 1987 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Refs not consistent so far
« on: August 15, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
Ridley ref of Worcs v Donkeys and allowing flying in (admittedly clubs seem to have reduced this) also allowing players appealing and back chat.
Age old - why can't our refs all play the same game.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Refs not consistent so far
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Not seen this game yet but have been very impressed with Ridley thus far.
Watched Quins last night, and three games today and Exeter seemed to deal with the changes at the breakdown the best, the players clearing out with great effect to secure quick ball, which meant they went through the phases a lot more than other sides.
Looking forward to seeing how we get on tomorrow now, although a little nervous now

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »
Seeing as we've (the forum) haven't talked much rugby recently.. can someone do a quick run through of the new breakdown rules.. or is it just interpreting rules differently, that were already in place?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 08:40:59 PM »
Seeing as we've (the forum) haven't talked much rugby recently.. can someone do a quick run through of the new breakdown rules.. or is it just interpreting rules differently, that were already in place?

As I understand (could be talking out my ....) it is simply informing the rules/laws already in place. About bloody time. Now get rid of the sodding caterpillar.
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 09:48:47 PM »
The lack of any bloody change in how the rules are interpreted was pretty - er - disappointing.

The referees are behaving like pussies IMO.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 10:04:42 PM »
Think it's a focus on staying on feet, entering from the side, and holding on the floor. Bit of talk about it here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-global-pause-allows-rugby-to-tidy-up-the-breakdown-1.4222329

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 12:19:50 AM »
Now get rid of the sodding caterpillar.

Absolutely. If the latest interpretation of the existing laws is designed to speed up rucks to reduce the time in contact risk, then joining a ruck when the ball is already at the back feet followed by the scum half rolling it with his foot to where the new back foot is should be outlawed. It slows the ruck down considerably and is ****ing boring.

Exeter did it a lot today but other teams doing it too.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
+1

Most of the teams seemed to be doing it a lot more this weekend (Simmo  first I really noticed, and I think Tigers managed to get the most people in the chain).

Also refs should inform the scrum half "Use it  - 5 - 4 - 3 -2 -1" then immediately blow the whistle.

I also thought they said they were going to cut down on the team meetings before a line out, that doesn't seem to have happened.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 08:28:39 AM »
Think it's a focus on staying on feet, entering from the side, and holding on the floor. Bit of talk about it here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-global-pause-allows-rugby-to-tidy-up-the-breakdown-1.4222329

Thanks for the link. So World Rugby has effectively asked refs to enforce current laws,  the ones a lot of us posters continually moan about not being enforced (offsides, straight throw or put in) and from the snippets I watched yesterday, not much has changed.

The article (Irish Times) quotes

"Referees deserve some sympathy here, for if they had applied the letter of the law then penalty counts would be tripled or quadrupled"

This shouldn't be the refs' problem.

Keep pinging players and they will stop. It shouldn't be the refs responsibility to let things slide just to keep the game flowing and stop it being a whistle fest.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »

The article (Irish Times) quotes

"Referees deserve some sympathy here, for if they had applied the letter of the law then penalty counts would be tripled or quadrupled"

This shouldn't be the refs' problem.

Keep pinging players and they will stop. It shouldn't be the refs responsibility to let things slide just to keep the game flowing and stop it being a whistle fest.

This ought not to be the ref's problem. However, they could have taken a leaf out of (he said droning on again..) the Mitre10 Reffing I saw last summer from NZ - where the Laws were interpreted per the Laws as written AND the refs called "tackle" "release" "ruck" so that everyone knew that the tackle had been achieved, the tackler was to release knowing the tackled player couldn't legally move and with "ruck" called = its hands off, NOW....

What we had in the Exeter game was something approaching what was intended - but too often really dumb player actions - I thought the Bristol game confusing - with hands allowed after rucks were formed too often, for the players to conform to the Laws...

Its not like World Rugby don;t provide really easy to follow guidance......https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=14 and https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=15 with little video clips too!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Karl Dickson manages the game this afternoon. He is one of the best in the Premiership.