Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting Stat - Though Not Surprising  (Read 2002 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Interesting Stat - Though Not Surprising
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
3 of the top 4 four players for average metres per carry in
prem rugby since it restarted in August are Wasps wingers...

From OptaJonny.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Stat - Though Not Surprising
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 06:12:15 AM »
Must admit I wasn't expecting to see Watson in there - solely because it doesn't feel like he's played that much. He's obviously made good yards when he has!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »
Are we using wingers more in heavier traffic? My perception is they have been running into contact more.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
I suspect any player that is stationed or covering  in the backfield waiting to receive box kicks, crossfield kicks  is going to feature fairly highly within this statistic. Having a high carry yardage doesn't actually mean anything productive/threatening comes from it.

What's more effective/important, a 1 yard carry from a prop  that produces a try or a winger catching the ball on his 22 and making it to the halfway line before being tackled and being turned over.

.. but if it keeps a statisticain in a job at PRL or BT..

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »
I suspect any player that is stationed or covering  in the backfield waiting to receive box kicks, crossfield kicks  is going to feature fairly highly within this statistic. Having a high carry yardage doesn't actually mean anything productive/threatening comes from it.

What's more effective/important, a 1 yard carry from a prop  that produces a try or a winger catching the ball on his 22 and making it to the halfway line before being tackled and being turned over.

.. but if it keeps a statisticain in a job at PRL or BT..

It must be just a coincidence that Bath are 3rd and we are 2nd.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »
Another promising stat is that out of all the players since the restart to attempt 40 or more tackles, only Tom Willis has not missed a single tackle. 51 out of 51.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
It is a impressive stat MarleyWasp but also a bit misleading as I suspect the vast amount of tackles a number 8 makes it is opposing Forwards running into them and not Backs running round them.I

Still shows good strength and technique in tackling though.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »
It is a impressive stat MarleyWasp but also a bit misleading as I suspect the vast amount of tackles a number 8 makes it is opposing Forwards running into them and not Backs running round them.I

I think you're doing Tom a disservice. He can only tackle those who go running towards him, and if it was that easy for a No 8 to tackle why hasn't every other No 8 got a tackle success rate as high as him?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
  + 1  Marley

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »

I think you're doing Tom a disservice. He can only tackle those who go running towards him, and if it was that easy for a No 8 to tackle why hasn't every other No 8 got a tackle success rate as high as him?

Did you not read my comment on praising his strength and tackling technique?

I was merely pointing out that a forward would always be top of tackling stats over a back.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
...and back 3 top of the metres stats, back rows top of the turnovers, scrum halves top of the passing, locks top of the line out wins etc... The beauty of rugby is that it is a true team game with many and varied roles within the team. Being the best at what you're supposed to be doing as part of that is very impressive. Not sure what there is to debate beyond that.