Always a Wasp

Author Topic: This staggered me!  (Read 3511 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
This staggered me!
« on: October 13, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »
Tony Carroll (@tonycarroll14) Tweeted: London palladium last night hahahahahahaahha i cant be assed https://t.co/FYHWRkU5aA https://twitter.com/tonycarroll14/status/1315651482155446275?s=20

If it is good enough for a theatre in the very centre of town why can't outlying sports venues in the fresh air be allowed similar percentages.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: This staggered me!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
The government have trotted out concerns about fans congregating in pubs before and after games as a reason, but you're not telling me none of those punters at the Palladium went for a drink or a meal before the theatre.  Individual licensees have responsibility to ensure their premises are compliant in the West End just as they are anywhere else in the country.  Equally, stadium concourse bars and food outlets as well as toilets would be potential pinch points, but no more so than in a theatre where they face the same challenges of getting a number of people fed and watered during a relatively short time window.  Much has been made of the reduced transmission risk outdoors compared to indoors, so it really begs the question why theatres get the green light first.

I think the idea of allowing fans to watch games on big screens indoors at grounds with the curtains shut so they can't actually watch first hand is designed to highlight the absurdity of the current rules as much as it is to do with bringing in a little bit of additional revenue.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
The government have trotted out concerns about fans congregating in pubs before and after games as a reason...
Equally, stadium concourse bars and food outlets as well as toilets would be potential pinch points

If the current rules have any credence (draw your own conclusions) then a bit of planning and enforcement is all that's needed. Regulate the number allowed to attend so social distancing is manageable.  Close any pinch points where this is not possible.

That should be society's mantra wherever crowds of people can occur. Those that are responsible and have the ability to create a cogent plan from a thorough risk assessment should be rewarded. A one size fits all approach to the lowest common denominator is bonkers. But that's what we seem to have.

Stop press: we now have 3 sizes fits all approach.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 03:22:46 PM »
It puzzles me, too, as to how the decision making process is conducted.

I just look at my local football club and see how games proceed without any issues. They are village team - average gate probably less than 80. They are allowed 300 max in the ground. One way in and out only. One gents loo and one ladies loo in the clubhouse. Bar is open. No stands so everyone is at pitch level.

Compare that to the Ricoh. 32k capacity - 8k could be accomodated with social distancing and the wearing of masks. Plenty of ways in and out. Loos could be a pinch point. Drink could be served socially distanced outside pre and post match. The issue is that not clubs have that capability.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 03:32:43 PM »
I must admit it’s some years since I’ve been to west end theatres ( can’t stand musicals) . I don’t recall taking a drink into the stalls ,but surely one of the provisos should have been no drinking or eating to ensure masks are kept on at all times.

I know this is a huge income stream for both theatres and stadiums but I would be happy to go along with it if it meant seeing a live game

Actually that’s one good thing that’s happened- you don’t see the grazers in the supermarkets with half opened packets wandering around

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »
A one size fits all approach to the lowest common denominator is bonkers. But that's what we seem to have.

Sadly I think that is exactly what we've got.  Decisions on professional sport in general are based on the conduct of a minority of spectators at professional football matches.  Give us all a break.  I'm pretty sure that if you offered any sports fan the opportunity to go to a game on the strict condition of following a set of guidelines to prevent the spread of Covid, then most would comply 100%, and those that choose not too won't be coming back until all restrictions are lifted, whenever that might be.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »
Here is one to ponder...Sutton United have drawn Sutton Common Rovers at home in the Surry Senior cup (football).  They share the ground in Sutton and Sutton Common Rovers are below Sutton United in the football pyramid.  As Sutton are in the National League they have to play behind closed doors, but if Sutton Common were at home they could have fans in the ground.  Same teams, same ground, same fans.  It seems a bit bonkers.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »
Anyone under local lockdown in Wales would not be allowed to attend. You need a specified  valid reason to cross the county boundary, and going to the game is not one listed, so even if fans were allowed  in, I would be out, unless we had an away fixture here.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »
Shove a big screen up in the car park. Call it a drive-in cinema. And, show the game live on the big screen. Lots of honking of horns to let the players know that we are thinking of them. That should at least get some cash coming in.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
Shove a big screen up in the car park. Call it a drive-in cinema. And, show the game live on the big screen. Lots of honking of horns to let the players know that we are thinking of them. That should at least get some cash coming in.

That could certainly work - I am aware that's how one particular company is doing Christmas panto this year!!!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
The Independent have published a story on the petition to let fans into stadia (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-let-fans-in-petition-government-return-efl-latest-news-b1033281.html) which says:

The major sporting bodies had a conference call with Oliver Dowden, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), two days before September’s cabinet decision that the return of fans would be postponed. At that meeting, Rick Parry, the chairman of the English Football League, said that he understood the government’s major concerns were actually about how supporters get to stadiums. So, he pointed out that 66 per cent of EFL fans travel by car.

The response? “That’s really surprising.”

There was utter bemusement from sporting bodies. “How can it be surprising if they are supposed to be concerned about transport,” one source complained. “It illustrates they hadn’t done basic analysis on how people travel. Only a third travel on public transport, so that solves that, and other relevant arrangements can be made with authorities.”

I wonder what percentage of central London theatre goers drive there?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
The Independent have published a story on the petition to let fans into stadia (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-let-fans-in-petition-government-return-efl-latest-news-b1033281.html) which says:

The major sporting bodies had a conference call with Oliver Dowden, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), two days before September’s cabinet decision that the return of fans would be postponed. At that meeting, Rick Parry, the chairman of the English Football League, said that he understood the government’s major concerns were actually about how supporters get to stadiums. So, he pointed out that 66 per cent of EFL fans travel by car.

The response? “That’s really surprising.”

There was utter bemusement from sporting bodies. “How can it be surprising if they are supposed to be concerned about transport,” one source complained. “It illustrates they hadn’t done basic analysis on how people travel. Only a third travel on public transport, so that solves that, and other relevant arrangements can be made with authorities.”

I wonder what percentage of central London theatre goers drive there?

Utterly ridiculous that the Secretary of State did not make it his business to know how people travel to games before making a pronouncement like that.  As you rightly point out, West End theatre audiences will be using public transport in far greater numbers.

The problem is, most of us have demonstrated that we are quite willing to comply with government guidelines to prevent the spread of the virus, but the seemingly arbitrary nature of some of the restrictions is undermining public confidence in the restrictions as a whole, and will ultimately lead to more people failing to comply and in turn faster and wider transmission of the virus.  Compliance is dependent on credibility.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
Wonder If premier/ championship have got any travel data ? Suppose Ricoh and sixways  might have large amount coming by car but then again we have lot using train and buses from centre.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
Utterly ridiculous that the Secretary of State did not make it his business to know how people travel to games before making a pronouncement like that.  As you rightly point out, West End theatre audiences will be using public transport in far greater numbers.

It doesn't shock me in the slightest. Dowden is my MP and to quote the words of a neighbour who is a senior member of the Hertsmere Conservatives, "the only way he could truly claim to represent or have any general idea about the area he represents in parliament is if the constituency was renamed 'Boris Johnson's Backside'"...

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
[quote author=MarleyWasp "the only way he could truly claim to represent or have any general idea about the area he represents in parliament is if the constituency was renamed 'Boris Johnson's Backside'"...

Excellent quote, do you mind if I pilfer it in describing my local MP?